Memory on Server Issues

TAV1702

Hey everyone, I was helping another guy out with a problem and my solution worked for him so I will share it here in snippets.

If you ever get an error like this

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted

on your website while trying to do anything, it is a low memory allowed per script on your server.

To remedy this situation you can get into your local config file and

find

?>

after add

ini_set("memory_limit","16M")

If this does not work, it will if you go to root/.htaccess and add it there instead. If the 16 does not solve your problem you can bump it up some. Please beware that if it is not your server and you are on shared hosting, your host may get a bit upset.

Hope this helps someone again.

Have a great night!

Ray

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah that's what I tried to and I keep getting internal server 500 error. The host server I am on sucks major a**! Too bad I am too broke to get off of it. My buddy hosts two sites for me for free and he has no clue at all. I urged him to up the memory usage for me slightly to no avail. Come to find out, he is running like 38 LARGE sites off of one box.

I think it would run better on my PC running it off of WAMP. Just not sure how to set up the dns to point to my PC.

• Moderators

Yeah that's what I tried to and I keep getting internal server 500 error. The host server I am on sucks major a**! Too bad I am too broke to get off of it. My buddy hosts two sites for me for free and he has no clue at all. I urged him to up the memory usage for me slightly to no avail. Come to find out, he is running like 38 LARGE sites off of one box.

I think it would run better on my PC running it off of WAMP. Just not sure how to set up the dns to point to my PC.

You would need a static ip address or transfer your dns service to dyndns.org there you can fully manage your dns and download a client which if your ipaddress dies change it will update the dns records with the new one but this is not instant their can be a 5 minute delay at max.

What ever you do do not host on winamp, just install apache mysql and php manually, its fairly easy to do it.

Well, I actually have another box sitting right next to me that I have not fired up in a year or two. I was pondering putting it online and installing Linux on it and going the route you just talked about.

Probably just take the easy way out and go for total broke and swap hosts.

Oh and the funny part of it all is I JUST tried this trick on a phpBB forum on the same server and it worked just fine. Go figure eh? If it werent for bad luck I would have no luck at all. ;)

Take care.

Ray

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I had this error yesterday:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 39 bytes) in/srv/disk3/1817306/www/regionalexpressairlines.ca/core/classes/ezdb/ezdb_mysql.class.php on line 273.

I did contact my host and he lifted my limit from 16mb initially to 128mb, via the php.ini. I did still got the same error, so he lifted it again up to 256mb, and still this error. I do not have the ?> in my config file, and no /.htaccess in my ftp. What do you think is the problem?

Thanks all,

Bernard

regionalexpressairlines.ca

Ok just did everything successful; did edit my config file and augment my host memory up to 256mb, now everything is working fine.