smartCARS ACARS Platform Released

turbofandude

Folks,

TFDi has launched its brand new custom ACARS system! It currently supports phpVMS systems, with plans for custom system support in the near future. More information, screenshots and the product video are available at http://tfdidesign.com/products/smartcars.php

Benefits For Pilots

• Fluid, dynamic user interface
  • High speed connectivity
  • Straight forward and informative flight information
  • Detailed flight log
  • Multi-bid support
  • In-app route search and bid management
  • GPWS callout system (with two different callout types)
  • Flight attendent announcements
  • Chat with the whole smartCARS community, or just your airline
  • Automatic login
  • Extensive options

Benefits For Airlines

• Web License Management (not available for the November 4th release)
  • Cloud-based pilot chat (driven by the smartCARSâ„¢ Cloud_x64 System)
  • Automatic updating (web script and pilot clients automatically update)
  • Extensive logging options (not available in November 4th release)
  • Customized login screen (your logo and airline name)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thanks for providing me the email ID will contact you soon.

its a sudden increase in price from $ 39.99 to $ 69.99 the price is bit high the people who are running websites just for flying hobby from their own pocket its a bit costly for them please Re-consider to lower the amount.

thanks

Well, not really. For what you are getting it is a fair price. I know many other ACARS developers that want more $$$ for less features. Plus this design beats all the other ACARS i have seen so far. I think the price increase was due to the fact that they added new features to their ACARS system which drove the value up!

Edmund K.

The price increase, although it seems steep, was also done as a way to cover our expenses. There used to be a recurring fee, however, due to negative responses to it, we increased the initial price and dropped the recurring fee. The use of our file delivery system, webservers, and chat servers is provided for life in that $69.99 - we never charge for upgrades either, meaning that if you purchase smartCARS now and in two years we release a totally revamped version, you'll get the new one for free.

• Moderators

Hello turbofandude,

There have been many other people who tried to sell their products in the past in this forum. How am i sure that your servers will be up and running in two, three and more years? I think that it would be better to provide us the files needed for the file delivery system or make the smartCARS works without depending on your servers the same as Jeffrey does with kACARS. Even if Jeffrey will dissapear, Custom kACARS will work fine depending on the phpvms. We were discussing in ordering smartCARS but we rejected it because we want to be sure about what we are providing to our pilots. Also we have already a dedicated server which is up and running so there is no need to pay for a new server...

Servetas,

I can tell you Collin, (turbofandude), is a very trustable guy and a great coder. He works for GenerationHost and is very reliable .. No one can "promise" that servers will be up for years to come that is true and there is no way to prove it. BUT .. For how long his ACARS has came already and that his employer and experience that you can trust him enough when he says his services will be around for a long time.

I will speak for myself in the following:

I was going to purchase this software but instead decided not to. This is not a question of trust or skill (as a matter of fact I can hardly call it a question). The fact that bits of the software runs on a third party platform, raises the risk of downtime and dissatisfaction from the users.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great software full of nice features and to be honest I find it a bit better that kAcars. However, I rather have that when I purchase this software I am given all the files to be able to run it without relying on any external provider. This would be an advantage for both, since you wont have to spend money on servers nor be responsible for any loss of data(Which I am aware occurred recently).

• Moderators

I do agree with magicflyer. Even if (for example) Jeffrey decides to stop supporting kAcars, i will be able to use kAcars for ever (or based on phpvms next versions). WelkaT, you said it on your own...

No one can "promise" that servers will be up for years to come that is true and there is no way to prove it.

So the smartCARS has an expiration date even if it is in 2, 5 or more years... :( Personally, i liked smartACARS better than kACARS but i want to be sure for something i give our to my va's pilots... Unlimited and Forever are two concepts which does not apply to the internet...

PS: If my server gets down or has many downtimes, i will be able to request my money back or adress to the court against my Hosting company. What about smartCARS server?

Before responding to concerns regarding our stability and longevity, first let me explain why we do what we do. Most of the features that use our resources do so in order to allow us ways to expand the software beyond what would be possible otherwise. Competitors' software requires more setup than ours in most cases, and is not as dynamic. For us to change the domain name/installation, it takes two clicks and a few minutes to update - not a code rebuild. We are working towards a completely dynamic and cloud platform, which isn't possible when each instance of smartCARS is privately managed.

Now, in response to our longevity, I think it is unfair to not purchase a product due to speculation regarding the company's future - not only has TFDi been around for several years, but it has adapted its approach to maintain relevance and ensure appropriate decisions are made throughout that time. We would not leave our customers stuck, should the day ever come when smartCARS isn't supported. Are we not allowed an opportunity to remove references to our servers and resources in the code to ensure its functionality without TFDi's servers? Not purchasing the product simply because it relies on our servers is comparable to not purchasing web hosting because the company may close. Is there always a possibility? Yes. However, some of the arguments I've heard regarding it are more speculation than rational concern, although, their voices have been heard. Again, we use our own infrastructure to create a more desirable and functional final product.

Let's take into consideration our chat system, and why it cannot be hosted by virtual airlines in a way similar to kACARS. Our system uses a real-time custom server API to manage chat systems - it is not simply a message re-directer. We have a custom-coded server control panel that manages this, and allows us to ensure that our system is always secure and operational. If a private entity was to host their own smartCARS system, not only would the inter-airline community of pilots that is quickly developing be impossible, but the group would require a virtual server capable of handling our software; it is not a web application.

Regarding server stability, their is no way to escape the risk of downtime. Whether we host it or not, there server still exists somewhere, and is just as vulnerable to unfortunate events as any other server. The difference is, it is our job to ensure these systems are functional, where as private groups may have more pressing concerns to attend to during a time of crisis than the ACARS system.

For those of you concerned, allow us to reassure you that we take downtime as seriously as our customers. However, it is difficult to reimburse customers who experience an issue when we have already promised them free updates, support, and use of our systems for life in one affordable price.

Finally, thank you all for your compliments on the software, as we have worked very hard to earn them - it is, after all, your support that allows us to do what we enjoy, and to make our hobbies profitable. If I come across harsh, I don't mean to - I'm simply offering my response to the concerns posed here this evening. I respect everyone's opinion, and appreciate their input on the software. Whether some of the users reading this post become customers or not, as always, I appreciate the interest.

Thank you,

• Like 2

• Moderators
Not purchasing the product simply because it relies on our servers is comparable to not purchasing web hosting because the company may close.

Let me explain you that if the company gets closed without i get my money back i will be able to adress to the court against my Hosting company because i will have its name and its Tax Number...

I appreciate you taking the time to explain and elaborate on this matter. Your answers have impacted my future decisions with TFDi and its products, positively. Thank you.

Thank you, and I appreciate you keeping an open mind. Hopefully in the future we'll have something more suited to your needs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Additional Log Information:

View Log

smartCARS version 2.0.55.1, 2015/5/4 UTC-5

[20:51:08] Preflight started, flying on VATSIM

[20:51:09] Flying PMDG 737-800NGX American Airlines (N809NN) Winglets

[20:57:30] Pushing back with 45562 lb of fuel

[20:58:17] Engine 1 is on

[20:59:18] Engine 2 is on

[21:00:29] Flaps set to position 1

[21:00:37] Flaps set to position 2

[21:00:41] Flaps set to position 3

[21:00:45] Flaps set to position 4

[21:02:31] Taxiing to runway

[21:11:40] Taking off

[21:12:10] Climbing, pitch: 11, roll: 0, 161 kts

[21:12:13] Gear lever raised at 72 ft at 173 kts

[21:12:14] Gear lever lowered at 83 ft at 174 kts

[21:12:14] Gear lever raised at 95 ft at 174 kts

[21:13:12] Flaps set to position 3 at 2626 ft at 153 kts

[21:13:34] Flaps set to position 2 at 2997 ft at 185 kts

[21:21:23] Flaps set to position 1 at 19139 ft at 228 kts

[21:21:30] Flaps set to position 0 at 19435 ft at 226 kts

[21:37:28] Simulator connection reestablished, 76 from before

[21:37:28] Cruising at 32000ft, pitch: 2, 460 kts

[22:37:02] Descending

[22:51:12] Exceeded 250 KIAS below 10,000 feet MSL

[22:51:26] Approaching

[22:52:37] Speed corrected at 7182 ft after a max speed of 295 kts

[22:59:18] Flaps set to position 1 at 1663 ft at 217 kts

[22:59:34] Gear lever lowered at 1667 ft at 208 kts

[22:59:34] Gear lever raised at 1666 ft at 208 kts

[22:59:36] Gear lever lowered at 1661 ft at 207 kts

[23:00:37] Final approach, 209 kts

[23:01:18] Flaps set to position 2 at 1694 ft at 198 kts

[23:01:22] Flaps set to position 3 at 1644 ft at 197 kts

[23:01:52] Flaps set to position 4 at 1669 ft at 184 kts

[23:01:58] Flaps set to position 6 at 1582 ft at 182 kts

[23:02:02] Flaps set to position 7 at 1532 ft at 181 kts

[23:02:55] Flaps set to position 8 at 550 ft at 152 kts

[23:03:45] Touched down at -687 fpm, gear lever: down, pitch: 4, roll: 2, 143 kts

[23:04:13] Landed in 4741 ft, fuel: 31806 lb, weight: 156329 lb

[23:04:13] Taxiing to gate

[23:04:30] Flaps set to position 7

[23:04:32] The flight may now be ended

[23:04:32] Taxi time was less than 15 seconds

[23:04:32] Arrived, flight duration: 01:41

[23:04:35] Flaps set to position 6

[23:04:38] Flaps set to position 5

[23:04:41] Flaps set to position 4

[23:04:44] Flaps set to position 3

[23:04:48] Flaps set to position 2

[23:04:52] Flaps set to position 1