PopUpNewsModule

simpilot

Nah have not reverted to an older version of php yet and I researched it and that is the issue. I have saw sever posts on other sites that say it has something to do with magic quotes or something like that. And I did some digging and it is other modules as well. I might just try reverting back to a little older php version just to check things out.

**EDIT**

This magic_quotes_gpc is most of the problem. I heard it is going away in php 6.0. As we sit now this setting renders phpVMS news and anything else that uses code useless. We need to strip slashes back out before it is printed on the site.

Good times! :-)

Thanks for that TAV and Simpilot!! I have been banging my head against the wall, since I had to do a complete re-install of my website. I was just about ready to give up when I saw your post about 5.5+.

• 4 months later...

Using the module in phpVMS 5.5 from simpilot, have the same error, if revert to php 5.2, runs fine, anyone expert in php have an idea to resolve this issue, i think the problem it's by the use of the revserved word this--> changed in php 5.4

Regards

Well i saw some one got this error but no one answered it... Now im getting this error on a fresh install of phpvms.. assuming i was using the new version of PopUpNews not compatible with my phpvms i changed it to 2.1 popupnews and im getting this

Strict Standards: Non-static method PopUpNews::PopUpNewsList() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home3/vdelta/public_html/lib/.../frontpage_main.tpl on line 231

Strict Standards: Non-static method PopUpNewsData::get_news_list() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home3/vdelta/public_html/core/modules/PopUpNews/PopUpNews.php on line 31

Ive never had problems with this before so i dont quite understand what went wrong... or where it went wrong

Any help anyone?

Much appreciated!

I using the latest version thats include the modification for php 5.5, add static word in the declaration of function.

I get these errors:

Strict Standards: Non-static method PopUpNewsData::get_news_list() should not be called statically in /var/www/vhosts/...../core/modules/PopUpNews/PopUpNews.php on line 31

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /var/www/vhosts/....../core/modules/PopUpNews/PopUpNews.php on line 33

If you go to my GitHub page and download the tip version and not the release it has the fixes in it, or you can look at the last commit and make the changes to your files. It is an error produces from using later versions of PHP.

https://github.com/D...hpVMS-PopUpNews

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Using latest version that includes the "public static function" call in the PopUpNews.php file and still get the following error:

( ! ) Strict standards: Non-static method PopUpNewsData::popupnewsitem() should not be called statically in xxxxxxxx\core\modules\PopUpNews\PopUpNews.php on line 19

( ! ) Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in xxxxxxxx\core\modules\PopUpNews\PopUpNews.php on line 20

Could there also be an issue related to the dataclass file?

Regards

Nat

It should work out of the box, but you could try going into PopUpNewsData.class.php and changing these

public function popupnewsitem($id)
public function get_news_list($howmany) {

To these

public static function popupnewsitem($id)
public static function get_news_list($howmany) {

I have actually tried both ways and combinations thereof with no luck. When I add static to the Data.class as outlined above, I get the following error:

( ! ) Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in xxxxx\core\modules\PopUpNews\PopUpNews.php on line 33 Call Stack

In the PopUpNews.php it also has two public static function already in place. When I remove "static" from those two lines, and keep static in the dataclass, i get the following error:

( ! ) Strict standards: Non-static method PopUpNews::PopUpNewsList() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in xxxxx\lib\skins\crystaltest\frontpage_main.php on line 17

• Administrators

Hello,

I am using the php version

I'm getting the following error:

Deprecated: Non-static method PopUpNews::PopUpNewsList() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in\phpvms\lib\skins\xxxxx\frontpage_main.php on line 30

Thanks

Are you using the version here -> https://github.com/DavidJClark/phpVMS-PopUpNews ?

• 5 months later...

I recently switched to PHPVMS 5.5.2 and downloaded this via the plugin manager so I'm running the correct version. I've getting the below error on my frontpage_main.php page.

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /home/xxx/public_html/core/modules/PopUpNews/PopUpNews.php on line 33

I've tried a couple suggestions in this thread but no go. Any thoughts?

^^ you can try that...

Also make sure that you are using this version https://github.com/DavidJClark/phpVMS-PopUpNews and upload that one via the plugin manager as there have been a few updates (not recent, but recent enough for php 5.5.x)

View the changes here

https://github.com/DavidJClark/phpVMS-PopUpNews/commit/794f12ff2dc704dc0333ec5dc719759f818cc176

https://github.com/DavidJClark/phpVMS-PopUpNews/commit/6a41b8bf28e1a18e9ef82965e57b8db653059ddc

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I had to change several things to get it to work. This has been very interesting switching over to the new version of PHPVMS.

What did you change if you don't mind me asking. I have changed to static back to not static and everything in between and still no go. I am on php 5.6.25 or something like that using phpVMS 5.5.x

What did you change if you don't mind me asking. I have changed to static back to not static and everything in between and still no go. I am on php 5.6.25 or something like that using phpVMS 5.5.x

It actually never worked. I thought it did but it really didn't after I tested it more. :-/ I'm currently using the default news code now and I hate it because of how much space it takes on my front page. I checked my normal list of payware devs but none of them offered a nice news module so for now I'll just keep using the default.

• Like 1

It actually never worked. I thought it did but it really didn't after I tested it more. :-/ I'm currently using the default news code now and I hate it because of how much space it takes on my front page. I checked my normal list of payware devs but none of them offered a nice news module so for now I'll just keep using the default.

Thanks for the update Keith. I appreciate it.