Welcome Redwood Virtual to San Francisco!

welcomevrdsfo.png

After 4 hard months of development, I present Redwood Virtual to the flight simulation community.

Redwood Virtual (VRD) is a community based virtual airline simulating the daily operations of Virgin America and it's Virgin Group affiliate airlines. It is important to us as the Redwood Team that we establish and maintain our core values; Professionalism, Realism, Transparency, and Community. We strive to achieve the most realistic experiance every day to ensure we have up to date routes, fleet, and characteristics that model our real-world counterpart in a pristine fashion. True to the nature of Virgin America, we implement many fresh ideas, technology, and assets into our organization so we can set ourselves apart, to be something different while still joining in with our sponsors.

Check us out, give us a like on facebook (http://facebook.com/redwoodva) if you find us worthwhile, and most importantly, happy flying.

I want to give a huge thanks to mseiwald from CrazyCreatives. Our system includes many of his addons, and also thank you Tom for the SimpleNews addon and any other contributor.

Cheers!

Hey Chase and crew,

Redwood's site doesn't load when I try to access it. I've refreshed, cleared cache, and stuff, but it hasn't worked. I'm on the latest version of Safari on OS X Mavericks, if you need that information. Just wanted to admire your great design work on the site again ;)

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chase and crew,

Redwood's site doesn't load when I try to access it. I've refreshed, cleared cache, and stuff, but it hasn't worked. I'm on the latest version of Safari on OS X Mavericks, if you need that information. Just wanted to admire your great design work on the site again ;)

Thanks in advance

Wow this is late I apologize. Is it loading fine now?

Wouldn't it be nice if you put powerd by: phpvms in the footer as well. Give Nabeel the credit he deserves for creating such a good piece of code for the VA world. One thing I would say about the design, I find the nav quite difficult to navigate around. Also try to put some code in that hides links to pages that you need to be registered to view. It can be quite off putting to see error messages saying you have to be logged in. But good luck with your VA.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be nice if you put powerd by: phpvms in the footer as well. Give Nabeel the credit he deserves for creating such a good piece of code for the VA world. One thing I would say about the design, I find the nav quite difficult to navigate around. Also try to put some code in that hides links to pages that you need to be registered to view. It can be quite off putting to see error messages saying you have to be logged in. But good luck with your VA.

What part of the navigation is difficult to navigate around? I am not discounting your opinion, but having been the first person to say this I am curious on what you think could be improved?

the red on the map burns my eyes.

The water is lava! ^_^

Couple of relevant points on UI design for usability re: your nav:

• Familiarity: use what people already know to your advantage. Redesigning what they know about website navigation won't work in your favour.
  • Consistency: pick a way of doing something and do it that way everywhere all the time.

• Like 1

It's just too big.

Why can't you just have a normal navigation bar, like you do on the prospective bit?

Why do you need to have that massive twitter icon in it?

I know this is called 'redwood', but you don't have to go overboard, the red on the map burns my eyes.

I am afraid sir that the concept of a mega menu is nothing new. Our color scheme is Red, White, and Silver. I am not sure what you want us to do as any other color would be off setting.

The water is lava! ^_^

Couple of relevant points on UI design for usability re: your nav:

• Familiarity: use what people already know to your advantage. Redesigning what they know about website navigation won't work in your favour.
  • Consistency: pick a way of doing something and do it that way everywhere all the time.

What have I redesigned about what people know about website navigation? Have I been inconsistent throughout the website?

I am afraid sir that the concept of a mega menu is nothing new. Our color scheme is Red, White, and Silver. I am not sure what you want us to do as any other color would be off setting.

What have I redesigned about what people know about website navigation? Have I been inconsistent throughout the website?

You are allowed to use colours outside of your scheme. Changing the colours on something so common as Google Maps can get confusing.

Regarding navigation, I'd say your Prospective drop-down fits the typical understanding of drop-down navigation. The others perhaps not as much.

Being consistently inconsistent doesn't count ^_^ - I'm talking about the inconsistencies in drop-down style, size, link style, presence of link rollover feedback. Bringing these more in line with each other would be a lot better for general usability and user experience.

• Like 2

You are allowed to use colours outside of your scheme. Changing the colours on something so common as Google Maps can get confusing.

Regarding navigation, I'd say your Prospective drop-down fits the typical understanding of drop-down navigation. The others perhaps not as much.

Being consistently inconsistent doesn't count ^_^ - I'm talking about the inconsistencies in drop-down style, size, link style, presence of link rollover feedback. Bringing these more in line with each other would be a lot better for general usability and user experience.

Good points Tom, but we wanted to be unique. There is no other organization in this "industry" that has a website that looks like ours, has many of the features of ours, and with so many virtual airline websites we needed to do something different. We wanted to focus on a certain selection of colors instead of using many I think it works quite well for our site.

Is it where the Red is used that feels to much, the quantity, the shade?

This :lol:

I think I just fell off my chair

I see 2 possible things you may have been referring to in this good laugh...

1. That I referred to this as an "industry" in which I did use quotes suggesting that I do not imply the literal definition of the word. There are pleanty of paid services in this community, whether that really has much to do with the economy, I doubt it.

2. You are questioning the uniqueness of my virtual airline in a very immature and passive aggressive way. I am perfectly comfortable with reiterating "There is no other virtual airline in this community like ours." I think it would be very difficult to laugh at that statement if you took the front-end design solely into account. I am going to assume you did very little research based on your very simplistic commentary and we're referring to us using phpVMS. Yes we use phpVMS as a base on our backend like hundred maybe thousands of VA's haha yes I see why you might get a little chuckle out of that if you think about a fresh install and some noob who says they code by changing some front-end CSS. No we have modified the framework of our registration system, flight logging and pirep system, and multiple administrative functions to better manage pilot accounts. Not to mention the countless expansions we have coded unique to our virtual airline.

Thanks for you input and if you have any other questions regarding my statement, feel free to let everyone know your "assumption and good laughs" or you can contact our management directly at coo@redwoodva.net

• Like 1

Jon it's interesting you make that point. I find it quite astonishing how quick you are to jump to conclusions with my motives.. Well technically since I am in high school you could consider me an English student, I don't think we have anything in common there based on your on you're inproper sentence conventions.

I don't see why there needs to be any doubt in our design unless you have seen another virtual airline with our design. This statement you made suggests that every website you see that claims to be unique you have a good laugh at, I hope you don't get too hurt... You are the only person who has had a negative response to our statement and as a representative of Redwood VA, I want to ensure you don't continue to have a poor response to our operations and website. We can't please everyone, but we sure listen to everyone.

Do take care and I hope you achieve your virtual mission with whatever you may be looking for!

Good day, but tbh if you have no interest in the hobby then going around the forums and adding mush to people's topics who are presenting their successes that they are ultimately proud of because you have nothing better to do "at the end of the day" sounds like a troll to me. G'day sir!

• Like 1