ACARS client Beta Testers wanted

mseiwald

I think i got the simrate thing fixed in the next Version....just fixing some other stuff as well before i upload it.

For Charters i could add a field to select an aircraft. However the limits are more for a custom Version cause i think kany VAs dont restrict the pilots to their own and the aircraft location for Charter flights. So that would be unuseable for them.

What i dont really understand yet is how flight numbers work on the Charter options of other Clients. As far as i'm aware of a pirep can only be Submitted when the flight exisits in the schedules right? Now if i let the client add a new flight for all Charter flights flown they would also appear as schedules on my website and i wouldnt really want that!?

I think i got the simrate thing fixed in the next Version....just fixing some other stuff as well before i upload it.

Good news! ;)

For Charters i could add a field to select an aircraft. However the limits are more for a custom Version cause i think kany VAs dont restrict the pilots to their own and the aircraft location for Charter flights. So that would be unuseable for them.

We do restrict, as in real life .. aircraft wouldn't move from airport to airport unless it flies :) Do I make any sense?

What i dont really understand yet is how flight numbers work on the Charter options of other Clients. As far as i'm aware of a pirep can only be Submitted when the flight exisits in the schedules right? Now if i let the client add a new flight for all Charter flights flown they would also appear as schedules on my website and i wouldnt really want that!?

We use pilot's ID as a flight number if flying off-schedules (charter)...

But, the idea of putting charter flights into some per-pilot (shareable) database and then BOOK from those flights ... seems interesting. Anybody interseted into codeing that? :D

• Moderators

I use a charter function on one of my sites through the acars system, I have a switch in the code if to enable it or not, I have 95% of the world airports and the pilots can choose from the dropdown where and to.

I think pilots being able to add routes could really mess things up.

Actually because for the custom versions i am working on i need stuff which isnt covered by the default functions since its stored in seperate tables. For the free version i just removed those lines ;) But i think there are only 2 custom queries in the free module anyway...the other stuff uses the default functions. However even for my modules i prefer to write my own queries. For me it is faster than searching the function names in the core file. plus i have control of what data i need to query. i had to adjust a lot of queries in the past at Hellenic Airways because the phpvms core functions lead to out of memory errors. Most often that is because phpvms loads all data with *. Adjusting it to query only the required fields immediately got rid of these problems.

• Like 1

yeah it shouldnt be a problem at all to add dropdowns for the airports and aircraft. But what is actually going on on your site when someone flies such a charter flight? for example what is displayed as flight numbe. in the live acars? i never had a charter system in our client at hellenic airways so i need to get info from someone who uses this function ;) Once i figure out how it is supposed to work it should be no issue to implement it.

• Moderators

Ok Off the top of my head without looking at the code there is a function in the acars script that if the charter function is used the acars will generate a random flight number with a alpha character at the end so there is no way the system will confuse it as a scheduled flight.

For example TOM123A would be a schedules flight TOM123AV would be a charter flight, the system accepts this no problem then i have some manual sql queries to handle the points scoring system which fall through the net because its a charter flight. But basically if you send it the system should accept it.

Its been a year or so so i will have to dig about in the code to find out exactly what happens.

Is that in the default ACARS script or is it in the script of the acars client? Would be cool if you could find the code. I could of course write something myself but i want to keep the free client as simple as possible when it comes to such stuff so that anybody can use it. I really wouldnt like to generate flight numbers which then may break the flight numbering concept of a VA or so.