[Content Removed]

StartVM

Problem is the people who are always asking for stuff are doing so because they don't know it themselves. How would they be able to contribute? They're clearly not willing to learn enough to get their own VA going, why would they for someone else?

• Like 2

Problem is the people who are always asking for stuff are doing so because they don't know it themselves. How would they be able to contribute? They're clearly not willing to learn enough to get their own VA going, why would they for someone else?

You are so right and that's what pisses me off. Is they put up a half- a** website and ask for all this help and waste everyone's time in ***. I guess it is just up to everyone to to decide if they want to help, but I think it is just enabling them

I do agree as I see the same people/person asking for help, all the time and making new posts clogging up the forums. It's annoying as from my perspective, if they tried to make an effort to learn, then maybe I'd say ok, but they want it handed to them on a plate, which annoys me. The odd post here and there is fine, but there is a line.

Hmm, ok, so what exactly would be the problem with helping those unable to do things themselves with an application released under the Creative Commons license?

So what if someone enables them to have their own fantasy company?

If you don't want to then don't but why make a fuss about it?

Hmm, ok, so what exactly would be the problem with helping those unable to do things themselves with an application released under the Creative Commons license?

So what if someone enables them to have their own fantasy company?

If you don't want to then don't but why make a fuss about it?

Jazz,,I see you are new to this forum welcome. The off topic banter forum is a good place to discuss things like this. Doesn't add clutter to the main areas, and looks like people are responsive. I am glad you already have a solution planned out!

Jazz,,I see you are new to this forum welcome. The off topic banter forum is a good place to discuss things like this. Doesn't add clutter to the main areas, and looks like people are responsive. I am glad you already have a solution planned out!

Did you even read that post?

Anyway, my personal view is there's no problem in getting help, nobody will know everything inside out, however if it comes to the point where you aren't willing to learn enough to solve even the most basic problems (or use the forum search to find a previous answer of the many) then you really need to reconsider whether running a VA is for you. Other people can't put the passion into your project for you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcoming words.

I am new to this forum but hardly new to the VA scene. After running hubs for a couple of years and now setting up my own VA I do have a little experience...

But more to the point I have experience in software development projects and I generally feel that giving someone help can lead to nice things - even if they never get "it" they can do cool stuff with the tools provided.

Some people just won't get programming no matter how hard they try - but they can still build something great because they have artistic or business ideas that won't come to my mind no matter how hard I try.

Technical knowledge or the ability to comprehend technical issues has nothing to do with passion afaik.

Technical knowledge or the ability to comprehend technical issues has nothing to do with passion afaik.

True, however I'd say the vast majority of support posts here are issues that have already occurred, and require very little technical knowledge to fix given the instruction already provided in earlier responses. It's these cases where people need to learn to help themselves and be a little more proactive in finding a solution rather than just posting and having someone else fetch the search results for them. Being able to use an internet search effectively is a pretty basic skill.

Being able to use an internet search effectively is a pretty basic skill.

I agree (although I do own 4 books on the subject on using Google effectively) but in such cases I just refer to the original post, answer anyway or just ignore the question. My reaction was mostly directed at the notion of people taking and not giving back. That's just a fact of life in my opinion and as long as I enjoy helping out I just don't care if they do give back - although a thanks now and then is nice...

Although I agree with the argument that the "newbies" on the forum should be willing to learn, and take on advice, i disagree that everyone could possibly give help for every piece of help they asked for, because some people are simply not able to. The vast majority of this forum are newbies to be honest, and the main purpose of this forum is to enable these people to get help from people with more knowledge than them.

• Like 2