Hosting and Navdata Updates

Nabeel

• Administrators

I will be offering VA hosting shortly, along with nav-data updates with the upcoming 2.1 release. Pricing hasn't been decided yet, but the web-hosting will be completely certified to run with phpVMS, including support for the new phpVMS maintenance cron files, FTP support, and any other pieces which are required for phpVMS to work - including command line access, and access to tools such as mysql and git on the command line. It will include scripts to install phpVMS directly from the command line, using git (which the move to was just completed).

I don't have a timeline yet, but it will be sometime soon, I'm in the process of setting things up.

Navdata updates will also be provided for 2.1 - at a monthly, or yearly rate. These will contain the latest AIRAC updates, which are compatible with whatever route software you're using.

• Like 1

• Administrators

suggestion......

Addition for route finders, when you look at a schedule you can click a button "find route" and off that goes to get the latest route which can be downloaded to your acars system?

Just a thought.

Well, I don't have a route finder system, only nav-data. I can link to the rslink route finder though

cPanel I believe. Still working a few things out with the provider.

I'm assuming this will be shared hosting? With my current host my DB keeps going down because they are hosting a tons of sites and the resources are getting hogged. If this won't be the case or cause issues I believe you have a new client! :D

• Administrators

I'm assuming this will be shared hosting? With my current host my DB keeps going down because they are hosting a tons of sites and the resources are getting hogged. If this won't be the case or cause issues I believe you have a new client! :D

Yeah, it's "shared", but there are guaranteed resources, and it's on a dedicated server instance. I'm also going to be limiting the number of clients per instance to something reasonable. But I am benchmarking it now and the stats are real good. Of course if it's something crazy you can't be on shared but I'm still working some things out

Yeah, it's "shared", but there are guaranteed resources, and it's on a dedicated server instance. I'm also going to be limiting the number of clients per instance to something reasonable. But I am benchmarking it now and the stats are real good. Of course if it's something crazy you can't be on shared but I'm still working some things out

Thanks for the update Nabeel. This is how "shared" should be run! :D I'm very interested in this.

• Administrators

Some more details - you'll have the option to have phpVMS ready for install on the server once you get it. You will just have to setup the database and install it. I'm also thinking about making several scripts available to automatically download a fresh copy of phpVMS, and also to update. But these scripts will be available and uploaded to the forums/docs.

In terms of specs - probably about 10gb space and 50gb bandwidth. Those are soft limits - as comparison, vaCentral + phpVMS use about 5gb of space with the near 1 million records in the vaCentral tables, 20gb bandwidth a month -. So for a VA or whatever's hosted, that should be sufficient. But if you need more, it'll be available. I don't want to cram people into servers. phpVMS 2.1 is going to be much more optimized than even it is now, so it's impact to a web-server will be minimal. It is a 16-core server I believe, with 12gb of RAM. I've been watching the load on the server for several days now, and it's been near zero.

It will be cPanel, with SSH access. Not sure about git yet, working out something with the host, though in the end, there may not be support for it. No biggie, I'm not sure how many people in the end will use it. There will still be those scripts available. I believe it's reliable enough that I will also be setting up a mirror for the API server there. I've worked out pricing to be about $10 a month, and I'll include the nav data updates for free.

I think it might be at least a week or two till it's up. A few infrastructure things need to finish before then. It will be based off of fivedev.net, and possible a nameserver mirror at fscentral.net. Though I haven't quite decided to make it fscentral.net completely.

Guest Brian

Fantastic! Thanks for the info. Please let me and everyone else know when the hosting becomes available. I will be the 1st to purchase. I can also provide support if you need some. Ive used cPanel for several years. Im very excited. Keep us informed!

Fantastic! Thanks for the info. Please let me and everyone else know when the hosting becomes available. I will be the 1st to purchase. I can also provide support if you need some. Ive used cPanel for several years. Im very excited. Keep us informed!

My hosting expires in June so I'll have to wait until then but I'm definitely moving over. We are not ready for a dedicated server and your offering will blow away what I'm using now! Awesome!

• Administrators

Sounds good! I forgot to mention, there will be email available as well, but I'm recommending switching to Google Apps for email and their entire productivity suite which would be great for VAs - you can create upto 100 users (but you can request more) who can all share your own gchat server, calendar, and all their stuff.

Well, I'm still working some things out, but it seems like that's the jist of it. Thanks guys :)

Guest Brian

Sounds good! I forgot to mention, there will be email available as well, but I'm recommending switching to Google Apps for email and their entire productivity suite which would be great for VAs - you can create upto 100 users (but you can request more) who can all share your own gchat server, calendar, and all their stuff.

Well, I'm still working some things out, but it seems like that's the jist of it. Thanks guys :)

By switching to Google Apps, Will all CNAMES and MXEntries be created automatically?

That actually sounds wicked! GApps is a really cool way to have Gmail for your domain but sadly, they have the API locked up to only premium users.

Guest N402KC

Yep, soon. I'm down to three potential hosts after evaluating all weekend.

Im very excited. :D, I cant start my new work till i get the hosting :(, What billing solution will you use?

Guest N402KC

8 Core eh. Im guessing its Def a Intel Quad Xeon. BEAST! For the easiest, Safest, and most reliable billing solution, I recommend WHMCS. Licenses are $12 bucks a month from licensepal. WHMCS Has billing, and support solutions. Check it out. And also, That Xeon could support well over 1K Clients with no issues.

Guest N402KC

The Server is Located in the US, The actual host can not be provided. The server is a beast with 8 cores, So several hundred va's can be hosted for with no issues.

• Moderators

The Server is Located in the US, The actual host can not be provided. The server is a beast with 8 cores, So several hundred va's can be hosted for with no issues.

SEVERAL HUNDREDS VA'S!!!!!!!!!!

Even more beasty! I'll buy the hosting!!!!!!