Coding

Conor

I started a web design company with my friend now we are both amateurs at it and I was hoping I could get some answers here or something basiclly this is what I want to know:

Should we have all our sites from CMSs like joomla and drupal?

Or should we just have static websites were everything is basic and has to be done manually?

If we do it manually is making a simple admin panel hard?

• Administrators

I started a web design company with my friend now we are both amateurs at it and I was hoping I could get some answers here or something basiclly this is what I want to know:

Should we have all our sites from CMSs like joomla and drupal?

Or should we just have static websites were everything is basic and has to be done manually?

If we do it manually is making a simple admin panel hard?

I'd use a CMS, but I'd go with something like modx. The advantage is that they've all been tested and hardened for security and other fixes

Guest N402KC

Use Wordpress. Most web design companies use it, Believe it or not. For the company I work for, He use wordpress with a mix generation of our own cms within it.

• Administrators

Use Wordpress. Most web design companies use it, Believe it or not. For the company I work for, He use wordpress with a mix generation of our own cms within it.

Wordpress is the nastiest, ugliest piece of software ever, and should die in a fire.

:)

• Like 1

Guest N402KC

Wordpress is the nastiest, ugliest piece of software ever, and should die in a fire.

:)

HOW DARE YOU USE SUCH PROFAIN LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM! YOU LITTLE SOFTWARE CODER, I OUGHT TO BEAT THE SQL OUT OF YOUR DATABASE, YOUR LUCKY I DONT DROP YOUR TABLE RIGHT NOW. lol j/k

• Like 1

• Moderators

HOW DARE YOU USE SUCH PROFAIN LANGUAGE ON THIS FORUM! YOU LITTLE SOFTWARE CODER, I OUGHT TO BEAT THE SQL OUT OF YOUR DATABASE, YOUR LUCKY I DONT DROP YOUR TABLE RIGHT NOW. lol j/k

both off you keep it nice or i will ...... :P

ROFL ROFL omg lmao.

Anyway, conor, it all depends on what your client needs. I expect for your first few you'll only need to build them static pages perhaps with the odd paypal button. Only if they actually need to regularly update it all would you use a cms - and make sure you change the admin panel theme too.

Thanks for the quick responses!

i guess if we are using a CMS i need to more proficient in CSS than i am at the moment

should we charge for our service? i was thinking €10 a month and we will look after the hosting, domain name databases etc..

I need to raise the question which is better joomla or drupal?

Our website is here its not finished yet though ..... http://www.shamrockproductions.tk

If you plan on charging it probably won't be monthly - people will generally want you to make their site, put it on their hosting and edit the odd thing you (they) got wrong and be done with it, especially if it's a CMS because they can edit and post themselves.

Wordpress or code it yourself.

If you plan on taking this seriously I would purchase hosting with a proper domain and take the time to design your own theme.

If you plan on charging it probably won't be monthly - people will generally want you to make their site, put it on their hosting and edit the odd thing you (they) got wrong and be done with it, especially if it's a CMS because they can edit and post themselves.

Wordpress or code it yourself.

If you plan on taking this seriously I would purchase hosting with a proper domain and take the time to design your own theme.

We will buy a domain if theres interest and we are already designing our own theme we just used that to get stuff up there

I build and sell websites as a small part of my companies activities, and I learned very early on that you must have a professional image before you start trying to attract interest in your products. This means putting everything into place, eg your domain and website, BEFORE you try to attract customers. If you don't show you are committed and have a professional setup then customers are going to be very few and far between. Website dev companies are ten a penny on the internet, and you will be going up against each and every one of these, so it's essential that you do things right before you start trading.

It's also very important to find a niche within the market, and to exploit this. In my case I studied what other companies in my area offered in the way of support and tried to offer better. I decided to target my existing client base, as I knew that word of mouth is always the best form of advertising. If I could convince these clients that the services I was offering were better than the opposition, then that's half the battle won. It paid off. The website development I do is not my main business activity, but it's nice to be able to offer these services should my clients require it. The extra turnover is always welcome too. The same logic also applies in any business activity though. It's essential that you make the right impression the first time, every time.