Virtual Airlines Needed is Web Hosting or Server Hosting?

Hi All,

Our team will build a Virtual Airline, but we vacillate between two options,

using the server host or the web host.

Roughly how the best? We think the number of member will be great and we will also provide teamspeak3 for this VA.

Give me the specification minimum and maximum for build the VA.

King Regrads.

At the start, a shared hosting (probably what you mean by web host) will be more than enough. Later on, if you see the need for a dedicated or VPS server, your hosting company will easily transfer you and change your pricing plan.

At the start, a shared hosting (probably what you mean by web host) will be more than enough. Later on, if you see the need for a dedicated or VPS server, your hosting company will easily transfer you and change your pricing plan.

so, for the best way, we must using virtual private server or just shared hosting for the VA ?

so, for the best way, we must using virtual private server or just shared hosting for the VA ?

A shared hosting can't run a TS server, but you can rent one from a hosting company as well. If you are not so good with tech, that might be the better option, and usually a less expensive one.

I can't think of a single virtual airline that would need anything more than Shared Hosting...Some can run just fine on free hosts. Although the appeal of having a "Dedicated Server" looks nice, and sounds great - It's very much useless to a virtual airline and a waste of your funds.

I know a client of mine used GoDaddy's shared hosting, and he managed to get 50k+ unique visitors in a month without a single bump on the road.

For Teamspeak, just rent one out from another host. Don't waste your time+money setting one up in a VPS/Dedicated.

Edited by magicflyer
  • Like 1

I can't think of a single virtual airline that would need anything more than Shared Hosting...Some can run just fine on free hosts. Although the appeal of having a "Dedicated Server" looks nice, and sounds great - It's very much useless to a virtual airline and a waste of your funds.

I know a client of mine used GoDaddy's shared hosting, and he managed to get 50k+ unique visitors in a month without a single bump on the road.

For Teamspeak, just rent one out from another host. Don't waste your time+money setting one up in a VPS/Dedicated.

I have to respectfully disagree in some circumstances. For people that know what they are doing with a server, a VPS can often be the cheaper option when choosing to run a web server and teamspeak etc. Of course, there will be pleanty of shared plans that can outperform a "cheap" vps, however I would much rather spend $10/m on a Linode box and throw my website and Teamspeak on there rather than pay $7 for shared hosting and another $5 - $10 for a Teamspeak where I have little to no control.

I have to respectfully disagree in some circumstances. For people that know what they are doing with a server, a VPS can often be the cheaper option when choosing to run a web server and teamspeak etc. Of course, there will be pleanty of shared plans that can outperform a "cheap" vps, however I would much rather spend $10/m on a Linode box and throw my website and Teamspeak on there rather than pay $7 for shared hosting and another $5 - $10 for a Teamspeak where I have little to no control.

Which circumstances are you talking about?

I haven't really looked at that Linode box thing, but I can pretty much tell you won't be getting cPanel, which unless you know how to work with SSH - You're gonna need. Not to mention these are not "Real" private servers - And won't even perform close to the real thing.

Also, $7 for a shared host is exaggerating. You can find a lot of the plans you need for as little as $3-5/month. Same for team speak, you can get what you need for less than $5.

Bottom line, if your budget is less than $40 a month...Go Shared.

Edited by magicflyer
  • Like 1

Which circumstances are you talking about?

I haven't really looked at that Linode box thing, but I can pretty much tell you won't be getting cPanel, which unless you know how to work with SSH - You're gonna need. Not to mention these are not "Real" private servers - And won't even perform close to the real thing.

Also, $7 for a shared host is exaggerating. You can find a lot of the plans you need for as little as $3-5/month. Same for team speak, you can get what you need for less than $5.

Bottom line, if your budget is less than $40 a month...Go Shared.

As I stated, "for people that know what they are doing with a server". This would imply they have no need for cPanel. Perhaps you are getting VPS confused with a private cloud? As you said, you haven't really looked into companies like Linode, but from personal experience I have gotten far better performance from Linode than I have on many traditional VPS servers.

You are right, it is rather easy to find shared hosting suitable for most VA websites for $3-5, however I am not including unregistered, kiddie host companies that don't know half of what they are doing. If you look at some of the more respectable companies, you are looking at around the $7 mark.

As I stated, "for people that know what they are doing with a server". This would imply they have no need for cPanel. Perhaps you are getting VPS confused with a private cloud? As you said, you haven't really looked into companies like Linode, but from personal experience I have gotten far better performance from Linode than I have on many traditional VPS servers.

You are right, it is rather easy to find shared hosting suitable for most VA websites for $3-5, however I am not including unregistered, kiddie host companies that don't know half of what they are doing. If you look at some of the more respectable companies, you are looking at around the $7 mark.

I am not getting confused, no. Having worked with Shared, VPS, Reseller, Dedicated, and Cloud before - I have more than a general idea of their strengths and weaknesses. In this very case, it is absolutely useless and a waste of anyone's money to try to run a virtual airline that won't get more than a few hundred unique hits/month on anything more than a shared or (if absolutely necessary) reseller package.

I also don't consider any of these hosts "unregistered, kiddie" companies:

https://www.bluehost.com/shared

https://www.a2hosting.com/web-hosting

https://www.godaddy....ing/web-hosting

What I do consider "kiddie" companies are the ones ran by folks who haven't even graduated high school, then buy Reseller Package and pretend like they run a "Data Center". Another good example of kiddie companies are the ones that pretend they have a data center, but in fact host their site on shared hosting w/ another company and simply "Dropship" their server. The latter type of companies should at least have the decency and honesty of not claiming they operate a "Data Center".

Another thing that was not discussed is if your Website and Teamspeak Server are both hosted on the same server(Which is implied, if the topic creator wants to get a "server host") - Then if one goes down, so does the other. I'd want at least one line of communication open between my customers(in this case, visitors), and me.

If you don't take my advice, that's fine. At least you got an unbiased opinion from someone who DOESN'T run a 'hosting' company. *Cough* *Cough*

Edited by magicflyer
  • Like 1

At least you got an unbiased opinion from someone who DOESN'T run a 'hosting' company. *Cough* *Cough*

So we are using all caps now? I am not sure why you are attacking me for giving my opinion, and quite frankly I think more than enough has been said to give the OP an idea of what they need. In terms of the hosting companies you just listed, their non-promotional prices for their cheapest shared hosting are as follows

BlueHost: $7.99/m

Godaddy: $7.99/m

A2Hosting: $9.99/m

Which btw are quite realistic prices considering they run expensive hardware, provide 24/7 support, and have plenty of included features. I didn't say these guys were kiddie hosts. I was referring to some of the companies we see popping up offering $0.99 /m shared hosting run off of a vps or what have you.

Redundancy is something you mention, which is a big consideration. While you are valid in saying it is best to separate your services, servers such as a VPS from Linode is far more reliable in terms of uptime than you will get from most shared hosts, simply because of the higher vulnerability of a shared environment.

So we are using all caps now? I am not sure why you are attacking me for giving my opinion, and quite frankly I think more than enough has been said to give the OP an idea of what they need. In terms of the hosting companies you just listed, their non-promotional prices for their cheapest shared hosting are as follows

BlueHost: $7.99/m

Godaddy: $7.99/m

A2Hosting: $9.99/m

Which btw are quite realistic prices considering they run expensive hardware, provide 24/7 support, and have plenty of included features. I didn't say these guys were kiddie hosts. I was referring to some of the companies we see popping up offering $0.99 /m shared hosting run off of a vps or what have you.

Redundancy is something you mention, which is a big consideration. While you are valid in saying it is best to separate your services, servers such as a VPS from Linode is far more reliable in terms of uptime than you will get from most shared hosts, simply because of the higher vulnerability of a shared environment.

My point is: No virtual airline NEEDS anything more than a Shared Host(At worst, a reseller account) from a Reliable hosting company such as GoDaddy, BlueHost & A2Hosting. On top of that, unless you're really interested in spending more than $40-60/month, you should stick to shared hosting.

Promotional Pricing or not...That's what the topic creator would pay if he chooses to go with Shared Hosting. Assuming he would sign up for a yearly plan.

Edited by magicflyer
  • Like 1

My point is: No virtual airline NEEDS anything more than a Shared Host(At worst, a reseller account) from a Reliable hosting company such as GoDaddy, BlueHost & A2Hosting. On top of that, unless you're really interested in spending more than $40-60/month, you should stick to shared hosting.

Promotional Pricing or not...That's what the topic creator would pay if he chooses to go with Shared Hosting. Assuming he would sign up for a yearly plan.

Perhaps you and I are differing on the reasoning behind our argument. I am not suggesting the possibility of a VPS because I think a VA needs the power. I am suggesting it because of the practicality of running multiple services on it. Either way a good VPS can be just as affordable as shared hosting if configured properly. I know this because I do it myself.