New VA Management System

TAV1702

So a competitor has came out with a system much like phpVMS in it's own kind of new way. They claim they are superior to phpVMS because phpVMS is all full of bugs.

Here is my take on it.

1. I love their software has a bootstrap template.

2. They have some awesome features that are integrated in or being worked on that others here are charging for.

3. It is actively being developed.

Their cons:

1. No one is developing templates for it or modules.

2. It has a few bugs it self. Not even going to lie.

3. Their support forum is .... Well, meh. Great if you speak Spanish. If you are speaking fluent English, forget about it.

4. Typos galore!

As far as it being superior to phpVMS, Mmmmmmm not so sure. It has MAJOR potential.

As far as my opinion goes, phpVMS has an edge on the system in question.

1. phpVMS has many modules (payware as well) and templates.

2. phpVMS is tried and true and awesome sites built on it exist.

3. the community is much better over here in general all the way round.

Cons:

1. Active development. Are we at the end of the road? Seriously. Are we?

2. Bugs still need fixed.

3. Now days everything is responsive. It badly needs to be bootstrap.

So I guess it is to each their own. I am not so sure of their claim to superiority, but man are they coming on fast. I have a website running each version of software. I'm not going to bias any opinions and say which one I like better.

Anyhow, got to run for now. Take care folks and keep the blue side up!

Yeah, VAM.

I do not agree with their "Superior to phpVMS" claim. I believe it has some finer points than phpVMS but it still has a long way to go.

I got it working really well, but it has a lot to be desired such as people to develop templates and modules. It does have the NOTAMS module but no actual news module, the flight system is pretty awesome, the jump system is cool but needs tweaked, and the fleet types manager is pretty awesome and the built in tour manager.

I think once it gets more dev done, it will be awesome for a while until people start charging for modules but that leads in to a whole new story for a whole new day.

• Members

In my opinion PHPvms is not so dead yet

It has a big comunity and it is easy to alter

The problem is that there is no dev team to update it and extend it with the new versions of php and etc

If you know what you are doing i think you will be fine with phpvms

• Like 2

There is another one in development to. According to the Developer it will have limited backwards compatibility to PHPVMS.

VAOS - Virtual Airline Management System

Interesting to see so many new systems on the horizon.

However, I have 7 years of time and money in PHPVMS and I can't see myself moving to a new platform anytime soon.

• Like 1

There is another one in development to. According to the Developer it will have limited backwards compatibility to PHPVMS.

VAOS - Virtual Airline Management System

https://www.facebook...?type=3

Interesting to see so many new systems on the horizon.

However, I have 7 years of time and money in PHPVMS and I can't see myself moving to a new platform anytime soon.

As long as we can keep up with the php changes we are in good shape. I still firmly believe it needs to be bootstrap though. It's the new wave. No way around it.

Edited by TAV1702

I was just over there at simpilot group looking at screenshots and all reading about SAMS. That is looking and sounding choice!

I ctually have a group of guys wanting to put together something similar to the old airhaul before it got shut down this year. SAMS might be the go to option. That is pure excitement!

If your bootstrap works you'll be golden! I feel now days with everything and everyone going mobile, essentially things need to be bootstrap or equivalent.

Edited by TAV1702

I've been developing my own system when my free time permits with the goal of the end resulting being a system that is fully customizable through the admin panel so every VA can set it up as per their liking. It will also include pretty much all the features that are offered today through payware modules (events, staff listings, tours, entrance exams...). Still a long way from being done, and I'm still not sure if I'll be releasing as freeware

Edited by Sava
  • Like 1

• Moderators

A lot of systems development has started during the last years in the virtual airline industry. A lot of developers develop their own systems such as the ones you already stated. As of phpVMS, it is currently fully compatible with PHP 5.6 (simpilot's version) and it includes many features such as templates and modules. As you previously stated, it is a CMS which allows you to select templates, install module without a lot of effort.

Personally, I have submitted some pull requests to simpilot's phpVMS version correcting or implementing some features. It would be great if a small team of developers can be organized to support the project as it is and try to make it compatible with PHP 7 which is something I will personally try in the next few months. phpVMS is a very powerful CMS and I am pretty sure that there are lot who like it and as Vangelis said, if you know what you are doing, everything is easy.

• Like 2

In the Russian segment of the Internet most popular airline on the engine, something like PHPVMS is the best company in my opinion. Suggest to register and view the website.

I collected the same site which is very similar to the sites SOUZ Group.

Fleet, Charter, map of VATSIM and whatnot.

2016-10-18_171459.jpg

2016-10-18_171537.jpg

2016-10-18_171600.jpg

2016-10-18_171624.jpg

2016-10-18_171727.jpg

afl-group.soyuz.aero

vau.aero

clo.soyuz.aero

A lot of systems development has started during the last years in the virtual airline industry. A lot of developers develop their own systems such as the ones you already stated. As of phpVMS, it is currently fully compatible with PHP 5.6 (simpilot's version) and it includes many features such as templates and modules. As you previously stated, it is a CMS which allows you to select templates, install module without a lot of effort.

Personally, I have submitted some pull requests to simpilot's phpVMS version correcting or implementing some features. It would be great if a small team of developers can be organized to support the project as it is and try to make it compatible with PHP 7 which is something I will personally try in the next few months. phpVMS is a very powerful CMS and I am pretty sure that there are lot who like it and as Vangelis said, if you know what you are doing, everything is easy.

Yes it would be real nice if a small group of people can keep it going. It is a very powerful CMS for VA. The issue is now days everyone wants paid for it. I remember back in the day when phpVMS was young and fresh and everyone helped each other fro free. Now it's pay up or bug off. I know time is not free and I respect that, it just kind of ruined what was once a very good thing here.

Annnnnnd GO! :-}

• 2 months later...

Interesting, always like checking out new things. But, we all have an opinion for sure. And of course I respect every ones opinion in here especially.

On that note, I have uploaded and checked out VAM, it does have its good points, and bad points. However, I must agree with one thing, Its very limited with new modules, skins, and anything that pertains to the word = "CUSTOM" !  Sorry, but PHPVMS for sure has a Huge edge on that area, I have just recently managed to convert a complete HTML5 skin to phpvms/*.php files, on my main Domain. No, it wasn't easy, but phpvms allows you to make mistakes, and FIX them. VAM has whats called a WebConfigurator, don't ask as its Not pretty, lol. Yes, VAM can be customized, if you feel like spending weeks or months re-vamping it on the CSS and/or *.js files. Good luck, nine times out of ten that will get you into trouble. The idea of VAM is great, especially for those who really don't understand the CP. Thats a huge advantage, I think, correct me if I'm wrong, thats what this is geared up for.

VAM Bootstrap is great, I agree with that for sure, nice look, fast, and easy navigation, I think that in the future if many of the bugs are taken out, and the allowance of us Advanced Guru's for customizing comes about, then yes, It will in my opinion Take off big time. Don't get me wrong peeps, I like it, and I like the idea, but for now, PHPVMS is still my main stay and will be for some time just because of the ability to really crawl deep and come up with something unique for your Airline. I could go on, about details, but we all know what it is, and what its not, just remember one thing in closing, sometimes the Grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Feel free to see what I am talking about with converting and customizing skins with phpvms, I've enclosed some links below for ya all, and I will be keeping and eye on this subject, its very very interesing, thanks for letting me share people ! Hope everyone had a Good Holiday !!!!!!!

http://heritageva.net

http://heritageva.net/mpd

http://heritageva.net/heritage1

Be good all, and take care and see ya in DUH Air !! "Jimbo"

The problem is with VAM, it is a one man show. I offered him LOADS of typo fixes and was pushed to the side without a thank you for the offer or nothing. I do like it but as long as phpVMS is a viable option, it is what I will continue to use. I like our community much better over all. When I originally posted this thread, I was hoping to get some spark back in phpVMS. I am just sorry it took our forum getting hit to do that instead of a simple post like this. 

VAM has it's fine points but for me, phpVMS is where my loyalty lays.