How do I upgrade phpVMS?

shakamonkey88

• Moderators

Hi all,

I cannot find any information on how I upgrade my version of phpVMS.

I have downloaded the latest version of it, but what do I exactly do with it? Do I just wipe my current install and install the new one for scratch?

Do I just upload the "upgrade" files?

A lot of work has gone into the current site (v2.9) and I was wondering what's the easiest way of upgrading.

Regards,

Pete

Bonus question: Is it actually worth upgrading ie. are there modules I'm missing out on, or are there any major ones that will no longer work if I upgrade?

First of all I'd like to say , these are just my opinions based on my observations.

If you are well settled in old original phpvms version , then I'd say stay there.

There aren't many changes and its not worth migrating to the new version just for having those changes.

Just uploading the modified files will not work ( I think ) because simpilot v5.5 uses mySQLi instead of mySQL.

You'd have to do a LOT of changes in modules , especially changing all public functions to public static functions , changing all tpl references to php references , etc etc.

Its not that I am facing lots of problems with simpilot phpvms v5.5. Its just that I dont find much difference in v5.3 and v5.5 .

My vote would be to stay with your current setup. Otherwise you'll have an unnecessary headache.

Yes that would be major work to do. If you can run an older version of php on your server you are on stay with it. If your php gets upgraded in the future, your site will out of business unless you can get someone to throw a hail mary and upgrade it for the new version of php or you.

I say stay with what you have until your hand is forced.

• Moderators

@TAV1702 and @Shrikar,

It's always best to stay in safe zone but keep in mind that most internet service providers are upgrading their PHP to higher versions, so it would be wise if phpVMS gets upgraded ahead of time cause once the ISP upgrades their services then problems will start showing up with phpVMS. Also, as an add-on creator, I will create my future modules on newer versions of phpVMS and since I do this free, I will not have time to create them for old versions too.

• Like 1

@TAV1702 and @Shrikar,

It's always best to stay in safe zone but keep in mind that most internet service providers are upgrading their PHP to higher versions, so it would be wise if phpVMS gets upgraded ahead of time cause once the ISP upgrades their services then problems will start showing up with phpVMS. Also, as an add-on creator, I will create my future modules on newer versions of phpVMS and since I do this free, I will not have time to create them for old versions too.

I have to agree with you Parkho, but realistically, what is he going to gain right now besides php 5.6 headaches he might not be prepared for. I been at it for 13 days and still fixing errors that keep popping up on me (can't manage to fix tour module :( ). Minus Twitter and recent activities, Im not sure 5.5 is worth going to at his point in time.

Now that being said, If he catches wind his host is upgrading php then by all means make a mad dash for an upgrade.

• Administrators

I really think it may be better to install the newest version in parallel with the old version. This will give you time to tweak and correct any issues you may (will) experience with the new version - while having a working version (the old version) for your members to use.

You hosting company may decide to upgrade and will probably only provide you will a couple weeks notice at best.

Do you want to risk having a non-functioning site until you have the necessary time to complete the change over to the new version? How many members might you lose if your site goes down for several weeks while you are scrambling to update and make the site functional again?

An additional plus is you will probably be able to get support here easier if you're on the newer version.

Just my opinion - now back to my own update/conversion........ :unsure:

Edited by ProAvia
  • Like 2

Actually Pro that is a decent advice to give. It never hurts and could only benefit as you say. I do agree with you and parkho both, an update is at this point in time necessary. Maybe just not to the live site but beside it as you have suggested. That is why I love having a server stack on my local machine.. I have no less than 30 projects on it lol

• 2 months later...

I just went from 2.5 to 5.5.x and how i managed it to change it over in less than an hour was by putting the 5.5.x on a subdomain (where it remains) went through the install of it using my existing db user & password for the old database clicked install then when i was asked to en va name and all that info i stopped and exited so that it would then create the new tables for the new version but it wouldnt of course overwrite tables that already existed. Then go to installfolder/update.php so it will then update the information from the mysql database into the site. once you complete that then delete the install folder and youre done....

Now if you need to change your extensions on your skins from tpl to php do so then. Once complete your website will be updated to 5.5.x at that point you can delete the old files for the old site or keep them for safe keeping. 

• 5 months later...

Im really losing grasp of where we stand with this? I am on 2.x and it's not 2.9. Then I see webpage for 3.0, and THEN still talk of 5.5. It's VERY fragmented with almost NO support that I can speak of. If I am at an older 2.x HOW do I update to the newer versions? 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2017 at 5:51 AM, vbegin7 said:

I just went from 2.5 to 5.5.x and how i managed it to change it over in less than an hour was by putting the 5.5.x on a subdomain (where it remains) went through the install of it using my existing db user & password for the old database clicked install then when i was asked to en va name and all that info i stopped and exited so that it would then create the new tables for the new version but it wouldnt of course overwrite tables that already existed. Then go to installfolder/update.php so it will then update the information from the mysql database into the site. once you complete that then delete the install folder and youre done....

Now if you need to change your extensions on your skins from tpl to php do so then. Once complete your website will be updated to 5.5.x at that point you can delete the old files for the old site or keep them for safe keeping. 

I was able to do this, thanks! :) now to check it all over and remove the "old" site. :)