Building a new computer

piper338

Hey guys, I am thinking about building a new computer and just wondering what would be some good stuff to get CPU/Video Cards ect. maybe where to get them from. It's been a long time since I've built a computer and a lot has changed since then so what do I need to get a system that will run FSX well and can take a beating?

Thanks,

Chad C.

• Moderators

Hey guys, I am thinking about building a new computer and just wondering what would be some good stuff to get CPU/Video Cards ect. maybe where to get them from. It's been a long time since I've built a computer and a lot has changed since then so what do I need to get a system that will run FSX well and can take a beating?

Thanks,

Chad C.

as u live in the US i can't give you anny hints on where to buy :D

now whene we are talking about video cards i wouldn ask on a forum as you will get lots off i like nvidia or ati.

simple rule that was always toled to me nvidia hase room for overclocking as ati mainly is boosted to almost its full abilaty

i curently have a amd x2 5600+ 3 gig of ram and a nvidia 512 mb it will run fsx but it will lose when you put in the pmdg planes

1 thing i can tell you don't stare your eyes out on the frames you can get in fsx or fs9 as the human eye sees all frames above 30 as fluid so lock your frames on 30 and try to set all to max and that is what you want for a pc

Guest N402KC

Sweet dude, jealous. That i7 looks delicious

My new machine ive recently built is as followed; MOBO AND CPU UPGRADED!

Mobo: EVGA X58 w/ Tripple SLI

CPU: Intel Core i7 945 @ 4.01GHz

Video Card: (2) Nvidia GTX 260 Superclocked

Ram: 6GB DDR3 1800MHz

Hard Drive (s) - 32GB Solid State, WD "Black" 500GB, Western Digital "Black" 1TB

Power Sup: 850Watt 8 pinn

Heatsink: Coorsair H50 Self Containing Liquid Cooled Kit

Case: HAF932

Monitor: 28 Inch Wide,

Resolution: 1990X1200

Windows XP: 64bit

Frames

FS9 - 110-120 Using Anyplane, Any aircraft, Any Scenery

FSX - 80-210 Using Default Scenery Maxed Out bars all right

COD MW2: Not really tested frames yet, but absolutly no lag

Combat Arms: 120 Frames anywhere

Thats all ive tested on. Machine was about $950

For those of you that run Windows 7 is it worth the money for Ultimate? I'm not seeing why anyone would spend the extra money on it. I also don't see why anyone would buy anything other than the upgrade.

Opinions?

There are a lot of extra features on the ultimate edition. The major ones is you get the professional version items added in like MS domain membership, a few extra security features (bitlocker ,etc.). Unless you want business level functions or are running your own domain you can stick with the home versions. I have the professional version because I do run my own domain but I don't need the media center functionally.

I never buy upgrade editions because I always do fresh installs so I normally just buy OEM versions since I don't have any need to transfer it to other computers. With a fresh install you are less likely to run into compatibility issues with your current drivers and software. I've never trusted the Windows Upgrade advisor. While it is possible to do a full install with an upgrade you can run into issues with product keys ect.

Hope this helps!;)

Keith

You will definately need:

- An Intel Processor

- NVIDIA Graphics Card

- 4GB+ Ram

- So 64-bit OS

- Windows 7 has lots of performance improvements, making for better framerates (I have home premium, it suffices!)

- Bigger hard drive the better.

As for software, you would need:

- To do regular defragments to keep it all clean

- Something to shut down unnecessary processes in the background, I use GameBooster.

• Moderators

There are a lot of extra features on the ultimate edition. The major ones is you get the professional version items added in like MS domain membership, a few extra security features (bitlocker ,etc.). Unless you want business level functions or are running your own domain you can stick with the home versions. I have the professional version because I do run my own domain but I don't need the media center functionally.

I never buy upgrade editions because I always do fresh installs so I normally just buy OEM versions since I don't have any need to transfer it to other computers. With a fresh install you are less likely to run into compatibility issues with your current drivers and software. I've never trusted the Windows Upgrade advisor. While it is possible to do a full install with an upgrade you can run into issues with product keys ect.

Hope this helps!;)

Keith

you even can do a full install with the upgrade you only need to own a full version off vista thats it i never buy an full version as the upgrade is also a full.

gr joeri

I ended up getting the Ultimate version only because there was some things on the Professional I wanted and Ultimate is only $20 more and Best Buy owed me some money so.

I did only get the upgrade version because I heard you can do a clean install.

Chad C.

• Moderators

I ended up getting the Ultimate version only because there was some things on the Professional I wanted and Ultimate is only $20 more and Best Buy owed me some money so.

I did only get the upgrade version because I heard you can do a clean install.

Chad C.

that is correct just put in the cd and let it run