delete check for php 5.6 in PHPVMS 5.5.x

aarbee

Is it an an option to delete the check for PHP 5.6 in PHPVMS 5.5?
As a lot of hostingcompanies are changing from 5.6 to 7.0 next year.

I have found out that in most cases you still can create a web.config file pointing towards php 5.6. And after installation delete the web.config.
But there will be a time, for some rather later and other sooner, when php 5.6 is not there anymore.

PHPVMS 5.5 is expecting PHP 5.6 or lower. Or is there another way to go around the problem?

Thanks,

RobB

It's possible, but beware that running it at a higher level than what it can will probably cause errors (not that we all will have to at some point)

But if you look deep in install/includes/Installer.class.php you'll find this

// Check the PHP version
if($version[0] != '5') {
  $noerror = false;
  $type = 'error';
  $message = 'You need PHP 5 (your version: '.$version.')';
} else {
  $type = 'success';
  $message = 'OK! (your version:'.$version.')';
}

That will happen when you install, if you are looking for other checks then you'll have to keep digging

.. One more is in core/codon.config.php

$version = phpversion();
if(intval($version[0]) < 5) {
	die('You are not running PHP 5+');
}

But that one shouldn't affect you.

Found out, that I even have an issue with the update.php on when I want to update to PHPVMS 5.5, while I set the php version to 5.6 via the web.config.

Will be a puzzle how to install phpvms 5.5 to a host that hast dropped support for php5.6. Mine drops it per februari, as the official support has ended. Others are following or have allreay support for 5.6 and are solely php 7.
So keep a very good backup of data and files.

Thanks.

RobB

Edited by aarbee
added thanks

Yeah backups are a must. I am currently on site5 hosting which at times gets a bad rap, but it is what it is. it is mainly for developers anyhow. I can go back to php5.3 up to php7.

I know david had mentioned recently about getting back to rewriting phpVMS and I am sure that would include php7. Someone else made mention of making php7 updates as well in the mean time. I been keeping my eyes peeled for updates form anyone.

• 2 months later...