simpilot

phpVMS3

simpilot    2128

After being part of the phpVMS community since 2009 and watching the project flourish for many years but start to decline due to the advancement of technologies and programming languages I asked myself what could be done to continue to keep the core system up to date and still be able to evolve the virtual airline part of the application. Short of an entire re-write of the core which I could not justify in my mind, the only option in my opinion was to build a virtual airline system on top of a readily available PHP framework that is being continually developed and updated. That would leave the concentration of the project focused on the virtual airline management aspect and not the maintaining of the core itself.

phpVMS3 is written on top of the Codeigniter PHP Framework. Why use Codeigniter when many say it is not worthy as other newer frameworks that have been written, many using Codeigniter as a core design? Codeigniter found new life when the British Columbia Institute of Technology took ownership of the project in October of 2014. It has had true support since the change in ownership and has continued to improve with the release of version 3 and version 4 is on the horizon. It is simple to install on most common configurations of web servers, has some of the best documentation out there, the available libraries are extensive, and creating new custom libraries is a simple process.

phpVMS3 can be used as a stand-alone application for managing your virtual airline and if desired API end points can be added to gain access to aircraft, airport, schedule, and other databases.

A convertor is able to convert older phpVMS databases to the newer format and most freeware modules are now built in to the core system. Payware modules will need minor changes to operate as designed.

If you are interested in helping please let someone on the moderator team know, there are many things coming that could always benefit from another set of eyes and helping hands.

• Like 2

web541    50

I had stumbled across Codeigniter a while back, but never really used it for anything.

Having just played around with it, I can already see that the next generation of phpVMS is going to make life so much easier. Their documentation is pretty much on point and consuming the framework does have its similarities with the current version of phpVMS (mainly due to its MVC structure ;)) so I'm sure that the devs out there will enjoy the switch when the time comes around. A constantly updated framework does have its benefits in the long run (as many have seen with the issues of the current version).

I'd like to thank Dave for contributing immensely to phpVMS over the years, and I'm sure that with community input, this project has serious potential.

As mentioned above, if you are interested in contributing (even if you know some PHP), then I suggest you check out their docs here as the switch can only be as seamless as you make it. And if you want to make any feature requests, check out this forum and I'm sure that your requests will be considered.

TAV1702    909
10 hours ago, web541 said:

I'd like to thank Dave for contributing immensely to phpVMS over the years, and I'm sure that with community input, this project has serious potential.

100% !! Could nto have said it any better my self. Thanks to David and ALL of the community who has made it what it is today. You guys all rock! And especially all the ones through the years that have dealt with all my newbie questions and shown me the way!

savagegrave    0

If you are looking for  a new framework, I have worked with cakephp since version 1.2, 

It is ironic that my love of frameworks actually came from learning Codon back in the early phpVMS days.

Being experienced in cakephp 2.x versions I am slowly upgrading myself to version 3. However here are my thoughts....

With the adoption of many new hosts into the php version 7 realm (my hosting still offer a range of versions from 5.4 through to 7) I am finding that very few frameworks are geared up to support 7 right out the box since it is a seemingly fresh re-write (please correct me if I'm wrong but I have found alot of framework solutions break including most wordpress hooks etc).

Lavarel and Cakephp are seemingly the way to go however both are more complex in their approach to the MVC more so cake with the command line bake processes. However I have found through my own projects that the offerings of Cakephp are somewhat more advanced and once you have your head around alot easier with the additions of plugins. Laravel although I've never played with it is also in most programmers view even better than the v 3 branch of Cake.

A convertor is able to convert older phpVMS databases to the newer format and most freeware modules are now built in to the core system. Payware modules will need minor changes to operate as designed.

Really excited to see the imminent release of phpVMS v3 - thanks so much to Dave for all of his hard work.

We run an older version (v. 936?) - does this mean that we can simply run this converter? How much editing of modules would I be looking at? ie. is it a simple process of tweaking code? Or is it hundreds of .tpl files to re-code?

Bahaeddine    0

Well I gotta say thank you to the community that made PHPvms possible in the first place. Your hard work and commitment is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. So thanks again. 

However, I have a question: Is it illegal to edit the code, or even program our own addons if we have time and skills for such?

Kyle    400
On 1/9/2017 at 3:24 AM, shakamonkey88 said:

Really excited to see the imminent release of phpVMS v3 - thanks so much to Dave for all of his hard work.

We run an older version (v. 936?) - does this mean that we can simply run this converter? How much editing of modules would I be looking at? ie. is it a simple process of tweaking code? Or is it hundreds of .tpl files to re-code?

The converter will convert most of the base data from the old phpVMS. Not for add-on modules, that's up to the add-on developers as it is likely the add-on modules will have to be converted, due to phpVMS v3 is developed under a whole new framework from CodeIgniter.

5 hours ago, Bahaeddine said:

Well I gotta say thank you to the community that made PHPvms possible in the first place. Your hard work and commitment is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. So thanks again. 

However, I have a question: Is it illegal to edit the code, or even program our own addons if we have time and skills for such?

As per the License from phpVMS v3, you are allowed to modify and add anything as you wish. But I would be very cautious in modifying any of the base features of phpVMS v3. Make sure you know what you are doing and back up first before proceeding. Even one line of code can change the whole operation of you phpVMS v3 installation.

• Like 1

Bahaeddine    0
2 hours ago, Kyle said:

As per the License from phpVMS v3, you are allowed to modify and add anything as you wish. But I would be very cautious in modifying any of the base features of phpVMS v3. Make sure you know what you are doing and back up first before proceeding. Even one line of code can change the whole operation of you phpVMS v3 installation.

Thank you @Kyle

vcal    8

i can't wait for this new version to pop up.

I have just had a spam account sign and self register!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying it is a software problem, I am just letting you know what has just happened.

It baffles and annoys me that people can do these things to an insignificant site like mine.

My passwords are very strong and nobody else has access to the admin side save for 1 real pilot who is busy flying.  He is also my texture artist.

Roll on V3,  :D

vcal    8

just a quick question as I can't find an answer.

Will kAcars be or need updating to work with V3??

t_bergman    21
4 hours ago, vcal said:

just a quick question as I can't find an answer.

Will kAcars be or need updating to work with V3??

All currently supported acars software should work without issue.

Edited by t_bergman

servetas    2301

I do not know if something like this can be automatically done considering that v2 and v3 are built based on two completely different php frameworks. The file structure might have to be changed and as a result the developer of each acars/module/etc will have to make the required changes. That is just my personal though. We will have to wait and see. :)

• Like 1

Sonad    1

Hello, I am familiar with the latest codeigniter framework, I can help with any development process. Sending a pm to you.

Tristan    0

I'm holding off on launching a VA until this releases. Do we have an estimate timetable? phpVMS 3 looks much more sophisticated and modern whereas the existing versions don't have that same shine.

mindless74    0

I'm launching a VA and looking forward to the first Beta.
Will the API be the same / will old modules work out of the Box?

I am not sure if I should by a module or code it by my self.

web541    50
On 2/9/2017 at 3:46 AM, mindless74 said:

I'm launching a VA and looking forward to the first Beta.
Will the API be the same / will old modules work out of the Box?

I am not sure if I should by a module or code it by my self.

phpVMS v3 is being coded on an entirely new framework (CodeIgniter), so all your old modules will most likely have to be changed in some fashion. I'm sure there will be detailed instructions on how to do this in the documentation or you can head on over to the framework's documentation to check out what needs to be done.

As for the api, I believe this is being re-done as well to bring it up to today's standards.

... Might be coming very soon, the main phpVMS website has been updated https://phpvms.net/

Fausto    0

Hi,

i'm an webadmin for a Virtual Company, i was modifying by myself the lastest version of phpvms, since we will move to a new server and run a new graphic design, probably i can help with your test. 

i would like to contribute with your develop providing some feed Forward to your work. 

Let me know if this is possible.

Best Regards.

Fausto.

BRAUS    0

G'day simpilot,

It is stated in phpVMS' website that it has been updated due to imminent release of phpVMS 3 beta but there has been nothing further. Are we looking at another month? few months? year?

Members of my VA and I are really looking forward to phpVMS3 as we are looking at replacing our current system which has been quite costly and with no development for sometime...I won't mention any names. We are not looking for a freebie and would certainly donate if we adopt it.

Cheers