Just a tease

Nabeel

• Administrators

Is there a release date? No. What features? We'll see. Building it on Laravel. What's up with v3? I'm not sure. What's up with v2? Super old codebase. I just finished upgrading it to be compatible with PHP 5.6. A lot of saying "wtf what I thinking". 

As a few of you might know, I'm working as a software engineer on flight ops software at GE Aviation, so I've got some ideas for making the entire thing a lot more realistic. I'm thinking this will be a neat way to get this project re-kicked. @servetas is kindly assisting!

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Nabeel said:

Is there a release date? No. What features? We'll see. Building it on Laravel. What's up with v3? I'm not sure. What's up with v2? Super old codebase. I just finished upgrading it to be compatible with PHP 5.6. A lot of saying "wtf what I thinking". 

As a few of you might know, I'm working as a software engineer on flight ops software at GE Aviation, so I've got some ideas for making the realism a lot more realistic. I'm thinking this will be a neat way to get this project re-kicked. @servetas is kindly assisting!

Perfect, Can I help?!!!!:D:D

19 hours ago, Nabeel said:

As a few of you might know, I'm working as a software engineer on flight ops software at GE Aviation, so I've got some ideas for making the entire thing a lot more realistic. I'm thinking this will be a neat way to get this project re-kicked. @servetas is kindly assisting!

Nice! Finally a version with an up-to-date framework in the works. I've used Laravel in the past (and still do in some side projects) and loved it, so interesting to see how this pans out. Will it be using 5.4? And I'll ask this before you get it a thousand times, will there be a converter from v2/5.5.x?

• Like 1

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, web541 said:

Nice! Finally a version with an up-to-date framework in the works. I've used Laravel in the past (and still do in some side projects) and loved it, so interesting to see how this pans out. Will it be using 5.4? And I'll ask this before you get it a thousand times, will there be a converter from v2/5.5.x?

I'm aiming for 7.x, since 5.x is deprecated. And yeah, there eventually will be a converter. I like it. I've been doing mostly Python and Go for the last few years, so coming back to PHP has been a bit trippy

• Like 2

Hey Nabeel,

Salutations from the Virtual Airline Operations System project. How far off are you on this project? Maybe we can make our systems compatible.

Just a developer note from us. We have had issues with supporting Laravel on Shared Hosting. That will need to be something to be considered.

Edited by Bonanza123d

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Bonanza123d said:

Hey Nabeel,

Salutations from the Virtual Airline Operations System project. How far off are you on this project? Maybe we can make our systems compatible.

Just a developer note from us. We have had issues with supporting Laravel on Shared Hosting. That will need to be something to be considered.

There are a few options for shared hosting, none of them ideal, but I'm kinda debating on whether to fully support that or not. I'll be testing a few work-arounds. Mainly the symlink from whatever the public_html folder is to the laravel public folder. Later cpanel versions support composer as well. I'm leaving to figure that out sometime later

• Administrators
18 hours ago, TAV1702 said:

Nice to see you back in action Nabeel. Hope all is well on your end.

Long time no see! Just been super busy, finding little pockets of time here and there to play with Laravel and it's fun. Hope you're doing well!

On 6/19/2017 at 2:33 PM, Nabeel said:

There are a few options for shared hosting, none of them ideal, but I'm kinda debating on whether to fully support that or not. I'll be testing a few work-arounds. Mainly the symlink from whatever the public_html folder is to the laravel public folder. Later cpanel versions support composer as well. I'm leaving to figure that out sometime later

The best method I have found was to move the index.php file to wherever you need to move it and edit the 2 important directories it calls. Here's the index.php file default for Laravel:

/*
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Register The Auto Loader
|
| Composer provides a convenient, automatically generated class loader for
| our application. We just need to utilize it! We'll simply require it
| into the script here so that we don't have to worry about manual
| loading any of our classes later on. It feels nice to relax.
|
*/

require __DIR__.'/../bootstrap/autoload.php';

/*
| Turn On The Lights
|
| We need to illuminate PHP development, so let us turn on the lights.
| This bootstraps the framework and gets it ready for use, then it
| will load up this application so that we can run it and send
| the responses back to the browser and delight our users.
|
*/

$app = require_once __DIR__.'/../bootstrap/app.php';

This is the index.php file I am implementing for TFDi's Shared Hosting system. Works like a charm inside the public_html folder:

// Notice the VAOS directory change

require __DIR__.'/../VAOS/bootstrap/autoload.php';

$app = require_once __DIR__.'/../VAOS/bootstrap/app.php';

What you need to do is change the directories to make sure they hit those bootstrap files and you're completely home free. That's how I got VAOS (aka Laravel) to work on even free hosting. The only thing you would need to then worry about is security. Laravel having it's own public folder is very smart as you cannot directly access any critical files by playing with the URL unlike other CMS systems. This of course as you have experienced first hand can be a pretty daunting problem.

The other issue that would need to be considered is storage. Laravel runs all it's storage through the /storage/app directory however with Artisan you would need to create a symlink for VAs to have a "File Manager" built into the system. This opens up a separate can of worms for another post.

Long story short is that there are many ways to slice the cake.

If you want to chat more, hit me up on my Discord server. Would love to talk about unifying the VA in a way which will allow everyone to benefit from our two systems. https://discord.gg/xWFPf4W

Edited by Bonanza123d

• Administrators

Hoping that many/most of the present freeware modules are included in version 4, as was stated in the teaser for the now defunct version 3. Or at least an easy fix to existing modules to work with the Laravel framework. It would be a shame to lose many of the existing modules many of us are using.

• Administrators
On 6/24/2017 at 6:50 PM, ProAvia said:

Hoping that many/most of the present freeware modules are included in version 4, as was stated in the teaser for the now defunct version 3. Or at least an easy fix to existing modules to work with the Laravel framework. It would be a shame to lose many of the existing modules many of us are using.

They probably will have to be rewritten and adapted. But on the upside, it should be much easier and cleaner interfaces for doing so

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mischka said:

Im wondering though, would the current phpvms addons still work on that new version? 

Probably not. This new phpVMS is based on Laravel which is a whole different framework and set of APIs. But hey...code is code. Someone's gonna find a way to copy/paste things around and make it work.

Edited by magicflyer

30 minutes ago, magicflyer said:

Probably not. This new phpVMS is based on Laravel which is a whole different framework and set of APIs. But hey...code is code. Someone's gonna find a way to copy/paste things around and make it work.

so why change to laravel? there's so much knowledge and so many addons/snippets about the current framework it seems mad to throw all that away. 

On all the hosting sites Ive come across you can set your php version to whatever you want, so I'll probably keep running the old phpvms and I imagine I'm not gonna be the only one..

• Moderators

PHP 5 will stop being supported in the next few months. You can of course keep using the older phpVMS version although I believe that some developers will update their modules accordingly. I personally plan to rewrite most of my modules as soon as the new version is ready for release. Also, it will be easier to develop addons considering that laravel is a framework that a lot know.

It seems that won't be the case. I asked my provider if they plan to disable any 5.x versions and when, and  this is what came back:

hank you for contacting us.
Various PHP versions come pre-installed with cPanel by default. 
We are not planning to disable old PHP versions unless there would be a huge security problem to keep a certain PHP version alive.

If you have additional questions or requests, feel free to contact us.

So it seems there is no pressing reason to move existing architecture to php 7

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 10/13/2017 at 4:51 AM, mischka said:

It seems that won't be the case. I asked my provider if they plan to disable any 5.x versions and when, and  this is what came back:

So it seems there is no pressing reason to move existing architecture to php 7

It's time to say bye to PHP 5. cPanel is deprecating easyApache 3 this Jan, which include 5.3 and I believe 5.4. There are huge advantages to PHP 7+. If your host is running easyApache 4, you should be able to run/switch between 5.6/7+

• Administrators
15 hours ago, flyalaska said:

will phpvms 5.5.2 run on php7?

I don't know version numbers but if it's the one that I updated (the v7 branch in the phpvms_v2 repo), then yes. 5.5.2 makes me think it's the simpilot version, I'm not sure about that

• Administrators
2 hours ago, flyalaska said:

Yes, it is Dave's version

To be honest, I'm not sure. However, you can install phpcs (PHP code sniffer) and then the compat checker, and run it in the directory of that phpvms copy. 

Install commands:

https://github.com/nabeelio/phpvms_v2/blob/php70/Makefile#L6

Command to run it:

https://github.com/nabeelio/phpvms_v2/blob/php70/Makefile#L16