SimPilot, VA Central, Version 3 and This Site

ProAvia

• Administrators

Just thinking out loud here - With the announcement that SimPIlot is closing down his site

and http://www.simpilotgroup.com/ ......................

What becomes of VA Central, version 3 of phpVMS and this support forum? It was my understanding that SimPilot was involved in keeping all of this functioning.

I do see that Nabeel is working on version 4 of phpVMS. Who will be responsible for VA Central and this sites web hosting after SimPilot closes? I see the front page no longer shows anything about version 3 and appears to have reverted back to the original page (prior to version 3 announcement).

Edited by ProAvia

17 hours ago, ProAvia said:

Just thinking out loud here - With the announcement that SimPIlot is closing down his site

and http://www.simpilotgroup.com/ ......................

What becomes of VA Central, version 3 of phpVMS and this support forum? It was my understanding that SimPilot was involved in keeping all of this functioning.

I do see that Nabeel is working on version 4 of phpVMS. Who will be responsible for VA Central and this sites web hosting after SimPilot closes? I see the front page no longer shows anything about version 3 and appears to have reverted back to the original page (prior to version 3 announcement).

ProAvia,

Definitely an interesting question, and one that no one really knows an answer too. With Nabeel showing v4 screen shots, one would hope an announcement would be made as to the ownership of the site and the forum. I'm sure if either Nabeel or SimPilot are not going to keep it up, someone else surely would be willing too. .

While phpVMS belongs to Nabeel, the collection of information and all of its contributions on the forum definitely belong to the community which keep supporting the project via 3rd party code and improvements. 

• Administrators

I'm in the process of taking it back over, with keeping the forum running. I'm trying to figure out what exactly to do about the forum, moving to either Discourse or Flarum. As for the next phpVMS version, no timeline, really. I'm working on it slowly, though the admin area is maybe 80% complete or so. Biggest area is the front-end and though that won't be as much work as the admin panel. If you want to help and are handy with Laravel, there are plenty of tasks to accomplish

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks for the update gents!

I wish I was handy with Laravel. Unfortunately, I had a hard enough time updating my site form 2.1 to 5.5.2 . With the help of the fine people here, I did succeed. I am willing to help beta test it though, when you get closer to full testing.

As for the forums, have you given any thought to phpBB 3.2? Free and quite a number of extensions too.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

Thanks for the update gents!

I wish I was handy with Laravel. Unfortunately, I had a hard enough time updating my site form 2.1 to 5.5.2 . With the help of the fine people here, I did succeed. I am willing to help beta test it though, when you get closer to full testing.

As for the forums, have you given any thought to phpBB 3.2? Free and quite a number of extensions too.

I've not had good experiences with it, and was plagued with security issues.

There is a version for PHP5.6+, the 2.0 version, that needs some testing for the upgrade path