shared hosting installation

flyflo

Hallo,

as I can see, you are using laravel, composer, artisan as a framework for the new phpvms.

It is also possible to install and use the phpvms system on shared hosting product.

I assume the most VAs are using shared hosting because of the more affordable price and with this product you will not get a ssh access to the server.

It is possible to install all necessary php frameworks without ssh login?

Florian 

1 hour ago, flyflo said:

Hallo,

as I can see, you are using laravel, composer, artisan as a framework for the new phpvms.

It is also possible to install and use the phpvms system on shared hosting product.

I assume the most VAs are using shared hosting because of the more affordable price and with this product you will not get a ssh access to the server.

It is possible to install all necessary php frameworks without ssh login?

Florian 

Florian,

I've got v4 working in its current state on shared hosting. Please be aware that v4 is still being developed and thus changes are likely, Nabeel (phpVMS's developer) has control over this and I know is working hard to make it easy for everyone to use. I do plan on releasing a short tutorial to get phpVMS v4 installed onto shared hosting however a requirement will be SSH access using a terminal such as PuTTY. Many shared hosting providers do provide SSH access (mine for example as a $2.50 one time fee). 

• Moderators

As @t_bergman stated, phpVMS v4 can work on a shared hosting environment. It is not that difficult expecially if you are working on a linux environment and as soon as you provider provides you with SSH access.

Some web hosting providers require justification, some others offer it for a specific cost, others offer it for a specific period of time in order to monitor it. You are going to need SSH during the installation of the phpVMS v4 and in case you want to update your software. Afterwards, SSH is not required (as far as I know). Also, for cpanel, Jailed Shell can be enough.

Thank you for your answer.

As you have noticed, shared hosting was not the correct description :-) I was thinking about hosting products without ssh access.

btw, phpVMS4 is running inside a laraval box on my local machine, everything is fine.

Edited by flyflo
phpvms is running

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrators

The goal is going to be not requiring SSH. I'm going to have a packaged version that includes the /vendor directory already populated, so that should eliminate the need for running the composer install.

In terms of needing to point to the phpvms/public directory... I've found that placing phpvms in the same directory as public_html, and then creating a subdomain (e.g, a www subdomain) and pointing it to the phpvms/public directory works. Then you can create a CNAME for the base domain to point to www. I think that should cover the install on a shared host. I'll be asking people to test this out in the alpha version. It is annoying, yes, but all modern frameworks are working this way now. The biggest advantage is security... especially with addons. With the code not being exposed, the chances for any attack are minimal. Luckily there haven't been any (except for a while ago due to a 3rd party library), but there are some that would definitely be vulnerable.

If you have SSH access, you can create a symlink from public_html to phpvms/public, and then you don't need to worry about any CNAME stuff. One think I need to investigate is if you're able to do this from cPanel.

4 hours ago, Nabeel said:

The goal is going to be not requiring SSH. I'm going to have a packaged version that includes the /vendor directory already populated, so that should eliminate the need for running the composer install.

In terms of needing to point to the phpvms/public directory... I've found that placing phpvms in the same directory as public_html, and then creating a subdomain (e.g, a www subdomain) and pointing it to the phpvms/public directory works. Then you can create a CNAME for the base domain to point to www. I think that should cover the install on a shared host. I'll be asking people to test this out in the alpha version. It is annoying, yes, but all modern frameworks are working this way now. The biggest advantage is security... especially with addons. With the code not being exposed, the chances for any attack are minimal. Luckily there haven't been any (except for a while ago due to a 3rd party library), but there are some that would definitely be vulnerable.

If you have SSH access, you can create a symlink from public_html to phpvms/public, and then you don't need to worry about any CNAME stuff. One think I need to investigate is if you're able to do this from cPanel.

If you can't do it from cPanel, you could possibly do it from a PHP script (just looking at their manual) http://php.net/manual/en/function.symlink.php