Hosting Migration Help

Brendan03

Hi all.

I've just been advised that I need to migrate my hosting - I've purchased new hosting and I'm currently in the process of backing up our VA's website however I'm unsure of what the process to 'restore' the new site to the new hosting entails.

Could anyone offer some insight in what's required, what needs to be set up on the new hosting and what's required to bring all the databases and files across in functioning order?

We're running Sim Pilots phpVMS 5.5 and the hosts php version has been set to 5.5 but outside of this, I'm not aware of what else I need to change or set up.

Any help is appreciated. 

Brendan.

Here are some steps to get you going:

1. Go to phpmyadmin => export and hit go
  2. Go to your file manager (or FTP Client), zip up the website's files and download them.
  3. Go to your new hosting
  4. Make sure the relevant databases and database users have been set
  5. Go to phpmyadmin => import => select a file
    1. (you may need to untick "Allow the interruption of an import in case the script detects it is close to the PHP timeout limit." if your files are quite large
  6. Go to your file manager (or FTP Client), re-upload the website's files and unzip (so you should have the same layout as before)
  7. Providing everything has worked up until this point, open the file located here: core/local.config.php
  8. Find & Update the following options
define('DBASE_USER', 'DB_USERNAME_HERE');
define('DBASE_PASS', 'DB_PASSWORD_HERE');
define('DBASE_NAME', 'DB_NAME_HERE');
define('DBASE_SERVER', 'DB_SERVER_HERE (Usually localhost will do just fine)');

define('SITE_URL', 'YOUR_SITE_URL_HERE');

Again, just be sure that your PHP version has been changed accordingly.

32 minutes ago, web541 said:

If you've got cPanel, it should be under "MySQL Databases" or similar

Are you aware if exporting the php databases through the backup function in cPanel does the same effect as Exporting through phpMyAdmin? I've attempted to Export the database as you've mentioned however it's been 'loading' for nearly 30mins with no change?

Thanks.

Attempting to change the php version to 5.5 and I'm getting the error "Unable to save data to /var/cagefs/60/vgva2/etc/cl.php.d/alt-php55/alt_php.ini ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/cagefs/60/vgva2/etc/cl.php.d/alt-php55/clseltmp_57d05458-785d-4bf5-af80-cdc779369cd2')"

Do you have any non-phpvms tables in the same database as well (e.g. forums)? If so, exclude them alongside the navdata table and it should allow you to export (i.e. only export tables beginning with phpvms_ but not phpvms_navdata). If not, I've got nothing else I'm afraid.

Edited by web541

I'll give that a shot if I can get phpMyAdmin back up again (Seems to take ages to recover after I've hit Export, even if I reload) - The database backup function seems to have all the data and I've restored it into the new hosting... and it looks like everything is there... I just don't know if it's in the correct location. It appears under a sub-tree on the new hosting versus the old hosting.

So, Thus far I think everything has come over... though there's a few minor issues here and there...

The Java script/Google Maps function on our ACARS Map isn't working, which appears to be due to requiring a new API Key. I've had a look in a few files including core_htmlhead.php and local.config.php but can't seem to see where the API key is to be inserted. SmartCARS is working fine and all the core functions seem to be behaving correctly. (Flight can be booked, loaded into smartCARS etc)

I'm also having some issues with images around the site not loading however this may due to them being Absolute links rather than Relative links and I'm still waiting for the old Domain to propagate to the new name servers. Still testing and working on a few things though.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Brendan03 said:

So, Thus far I think everything has come over... though there's a few minor issues here and there...

The Java script/Google Maps function on our ACARS Map isn't working, which appears to be due to requiring a new API Key. I've had a look in a few files including core_htmlhead.php and local.config.php but can't seem to see where the API key is to be inserted. SmartCARS is working fine and all the core functions seem to be behaving correctly. (Flight can be booked, loaded into smartCARS etc)

I'm also having some issues with images around the site not loading however this may due to them being Absolute links rather than Relative links and I'm still waiting for the old Domain to propagate to the new name servers. Still testing and working on a few things though.

Thanks.

To get the ACARS Map working again, the file is located in core/templates/core_htmlhead.php (might want to move this to your lib/skins/YOURSKINNAME folder, but it's up to you, it will still work fine where it is).

Around line 37 (of core_htmlhead.php) you will find this

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=true"></script>

Replace it with this

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=YOUR_API_KEY_HERE"></script>

With your api key which you can receive from here (make sure your url is correct on Google's end) and it should work. Failure to do so, please press F12 and go to the 'Console' and report back with any errors here.

With the images, what you've described sounds like the case, but again you can check the console if you wish (just give it a few days and they should be back)

20 minutes ago, web541 said:

To get the ACARS Map working again, the file is located in core/templates/core_htmlhead.php (might want to move this to your lib/skins/YOURSKINNAME folder, but it's up to you, it will still work fine where it is).

This worked! Massive thanks!

Yeah, I'm gonna do that with the images. I suspect they may also be having issues (I know the forums are) because the SSL (TLS?) certificate hasn't migrated across so certain links aren't working but I'm gonna try and see what I can do about that first. We're running on a new domain (with the old domain redirecting) for the time being until I can work everything out properly.

Thanks again for your help!

I've identified that the images aren't loading because their address is absolute and refers to the old SSL site. Modifying the URL to relative doesn't work because the system is preventing them from loading due to a restriction in our system that restricts users from directly accessing our content and I'm not sure how to disable this. I'll keep looking through it though.