Fuel Calculations

hecrowell

Part of every pilot's obligation is to ensure that he has ample fuel on board to complete his flight with reserve fuel to take care of unexpected in flight events. At the same time, he does not want to "overfill" which along with adverse effects caused by excess weight on approaches and landings at the destination airport  also eats into company finances.

Our flight sims are set to the Imperial system which means that our fuel load readings are in Pounds (Lbs). It looks like phpvms uses the metric system, and even though I have changed it to Imperial, fuel weights are still metric when using kACARS free and therefore also metric  as calculated on kACARS produced PIREPS.

i am wondering how to clarify this situation and remove some of the confusion of properly fueling your aircraft for a flight.

thanks

Edited by hecrowell

• Moderators
22 hours ago, hecrowell said:

Part of every pilot's obligation is to ensure that he has ample fuel on board to complete his flight with reserve fuel to take care of unexpected in flight events. At the same time, he does not want to "overfill" which along with adverse effects caused by excess weight on approaches and landings at the destination airport  also eats into company finances.

Our flight sims are set to the Imperial system which means that our fuel load readings are in Pounds (Lbs). It looks like phpvms uses the metric system, and even though I have changed it to Imperial, fuel weights are still metric when using kACARS free and therefore also metric  as calculated on kACARS produced PIREPS.

i am wondering how to clarify this situation and remove some of the confusion of properly fueling your aircraft for a flight.

thanks

The most important part of the fuel calculation is that it's stored to DB in lbs, so all you need is to fetch the fuel amount from DB and show it where ever you like. Also, what i can offer is a module I created to calculate fuel, based on aircraft parameters (ex. fuel burn per hour, altitude,...). Then it will give you an estimate of how much fuel to be loaded for a flight in both metric and imperial systems.

Here is the link: FuelCalculator_V1.0

On 10/6/2017 at 11:11 AM, hecrowell said:

O(..)and even though I have changed it to Imperial, fuel weights are still metric when using kACARS free and therefore also metric  as calculated on kACARS produced PIREPS.

where did you change it? have you cleared cache via the admin section? 

if you are interested in a free fuel planner with API, so that you can display fuel data on your pilot briefing, go to http://www.virtualairlines.eu/index.php/FuelPlanner