New skin loads slow

flyalaska

Moved my demo site on the same hosting and same domain. Still loads really slow.

No idea whats going on. Like I said before, Current skin loads normal, and the new skin loads normal on the old host. It seems to happen when I am using the current DB.

Edited by flyalaska

• Administrators

You say it's tied to the current live site database - which would contain lots of data. What happens when tied to a new DB... 1 pilot, 1 aircraft, 2 airports and 1 route between the 2 airports? Sounds like somehow the new skin and the live database interation are slowing things down. If that's the case, I have no idea where to look to increase loadijg speed - hopefully someone else has some ideas....

I hate to point out the obvious, but could it just be the server itself? I'm thinking there might be a runaway process on the server that's just causing it to run very slow when running PHP queries. Some hosts have a "Select PHP Version" option, go ahead and find that on cPanel and switch to another PHP version and back. There's a mechanism in there that kills PHP processes. Kind of like that ol' "Turn it off and turn it back on" trick. 

How many installations of phpVMS/other CMS are you running on one shared server? I've had clients in the past thinking they could get away with running multiple softwares on one shared host(Spoiler Alert: Didn't work). 

Other than that, your page size is 3.6mb which isn't too bad. Maybe that live flights plugin keeps querying the entire airports table(maybe the schedules table as well) and just slows everything down. Try to comment out that code and see if there's any changes.

Edited by magicflyer

Im not on a shared host. It is a VPS. On this account I have 2 phpVMS running. One in the root and one in /demo. When I originally made the skin, I had it on a different domain. Even before I made the /demo directory. I would move the skin to the live site to test it and it lagged. The live site loads fine. The demo site loads fine when it was on its own domain.

I will comment out the some mods see if those are at fault.

Hmm. Okay, well what I'm thinking is a lot of shared hosts have litespeed+Nginx installed or an equivalent software that speeds up mySQL(and a bunch of other stuff). This is usually not included with the VPS(Because of the way licensing works), so a lot of queries in a short amount of time would result in a drastic performance difference. That would explain why this skin performs better when its running on the other host. Could it just be that this skin is running more SQL queries on homepage load time? That would lead to a quick fire of SQL queries. 

Edited by magicflyer

16 hours ago, flyalaska said:

The other domain is hosted on my VPS. All the settings are the same. Thats why it makes no sense.

Ok. Now, that's a tough one. When you say it loads slow, what do you mean? Does the screen stay white for a long amount of time, or does the page load and just the progress circle keeps going? I did a test on pingdom, and I'm getting 5seconds which isn't too bad given all that's going on in the page. 

It shows that the Facebook Plugin & The map you have is loading really slow. See what happens if you comment that out. I guess this is just a matter of optimizing the code and minifying the CSS and JS. I'm a little curious as to how it works on certain directories and others not. Please let me know if you find an answer, I'd love to know it. 

Edit: I wonder, is there a difference in the .htaccess files?

Edited by magicflyer

Removing the the Facebook just increased the score, it was a huge jump. Site speed on last test is 9.5 seconds. I have to have the map, I could live without the Facebook. I had to edit the .htaccess file. For gzip compression and cache. That made the speed better aswell.

I wonder if the map is slowing down the site, because its loading all the destinations.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, flyalaska said:

I wonder if the map is slowing down the site, because its loading all the destinations.

That's a possibility. I remember I had the same issue on my costume HUB page and when I removed the load my site's performance was much better.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, flyalaska said:

I switched to the default map. Still slower than it should. A little faster than it was, Something else has to be causing the lag.

Does your new skin have javascript on page load? Cause sometimes JS conflict with phpVMS core files may cause the lag. Try disabling JS.

Well, I agree, with above, unless your Host company is UNLIMITED in Sql, bandwidth, etc......don't attempt multiple phpvms sites. I on the other hand am running 5 PHPVMS active sites, which you all know is shutting down very soon. It is most definately possible depending on your hosting company to run an unlimited amount of sites for phpvms. I have been doing it for a very very long time.

Poke me buddy if you still need a hand, I have time if you want.

Jim

I don't have unlimited bandwidth, I do have a generous amount. The issue wasn't having multiple installation on the same host account. I have another host account, same server with about 8 phpVMS installations on it for my skins that I make. Never had an issue. I am thinking its google maps slowing the site down. I had google maps for Live flights and Arrivals. Also the ammount of JS request may have been a major factor. That template was loaded with JS files.

• Administrators

If you use Chrome or Opera, use the developer tools, and under the "Network" tab, you can see the loading times for the assets. You can see from there where the slow load time is (the waterfall chart too). There you should be able to see if it is Google maps or something else. You can also analyze the Javascript there to see what the slow loading times are.

1 hour ago, Nabeel said:

If you use Chrome or Opera, use the developer tools, and under the "Network" tab, you can see the loading times for the assets. You can see from there where the slow load time is (the waterfall chart too). There you should be able to see if it is Google maps or something else. You can also analyze the Javascript there to see what the slow loading times are.

Thank you. Never knew about that.