Merger Email?

wrenchca

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone else received an email from another Virtual Airline offering a merger deal. I recently received and email offering a merger deal with benefits. It was stated that there was an extreme lack of activity at our airline....hmmm, over 4,000 flights and heading for 7,000 hours logged.... :blink:

I emailed back wondering where he came up with this idea that we were failing...his reply was that since we used a free source pirep solution, we must be on our last legs and ripe for the picking.

It is not my intent to turn this forum into a bashing session against another VA so I will not post the person's name or VA. If anyone were to pm me asking though, I would share the information.

Well basing his decision on the fact you use a free software is unwise. I have heard many people complaining about paid virtual airline software and even moving from them to free alternatives.

Also, having a custom system built to the standards of phpvms would cost a fortune.

• Administrators

If he saw it on VaCentral, where would he get the idea we had an extreme lack of activity? As of right now, we are ranked #5....that doesn't compute for lack of activity. No, his big thing was because we used a free pirep software.

Sounds like he's the desperate one! Paid for something but still needs to merge to get more members and activity

Guest lorathon

Well basing his decision on the fact you use a free software is unwise. I have heard many people complaining about paid virtual airline software and even moving from them to free alternatives.

Also, having a custom system built to the standards of phpvms would cost a fortune.

We also received an offer by an un-named VA that wished for us to merge with him. There was nothing to be offered. Just a try to get an influx of pilots by him.

I would like to comment on Tom's comment.

I dis-agree with this comment completely. I have been around the block to know that a free ACARS system does have many faults. Especially for pilots who are used to an ACARS system where their input is used to build it. Everyone wants something different. And this is why the free systems are just so basic (mine included) I know this sounds like a marketing campaign on my part but I am just relating my experience. Just prior to us finding phpVMS we had a complete VA that was growing steadily when the programmer decided to end it. We then quickly jumped in with both feet using phpVMS. The nice thing was that it did support free ACARS and allowed us to get the ball rolling immediately. But after that the complainants regarding the free version ACARS began rolling in and the pilots began rolling out. This was the chief reason I decided to start my own ACARS system. Once we had our own system back in place, that has real support, the complainants stopped and the flights started up again. Just search FSACARS on the phpVMS forum and you will see what the support is for that system. You have to scourge the net and hope that someone else had the same problem and also that they figured it out and then hope they posted the solution somewhere.

As for cost, while I realize this is a hobby, all hobbies have a cost associated with it. How many VA's last on a free hosting system? The cost of running a VA or adding software is no different than a stamp collector buying a new stamp. Most adult pilots that I have befriended have even offered to pay a month to month fee to keep a VA open. If you offer something the pilots want they will stay. It was tough on us. When our last VA went crashing down we lost at least 80% of the pilots. Now we are in a rebuilding stage. It is a tough market out there if you truly want to attract pilots. Anything unique that you can offer is the way to go. You can't please them all. But if you can please most of the pilots, you are on the right path.

(Soapbox away)

Guest lorathon

I was talking about the web system rather than the ACARS, but I agree with you - I have had my fair share of problems with FSACARS.

Sorry. :) Maybe I read it wrong.

You know we called this guy on his offer when we got it. We asked what exactly would he be offering us. It didnt look like he had much going on. I really think we was looking for a way to just easily get pilots. But how many would stay. And why would you want to merge anyway? Unless you are ready to get out of it and just let it go.

Weird

• Administrators

Good points Jeff, that's why I've also designed phpVMS the way it is right now, so it can easily be expanded on and customized. Most people who have customized phpVMS are pretty happy with it. As for ACARS programs, FSACARS is junk, but it was kinda the "must support" app.

If people don't like free products, let me know. I can charge you for phpVMS, I have no problem with that! :D

I couldn't agree more about free hosting compared to a paid hosting service. I have used free hosting for development work before and it was horrible. As far as FSAcars goes, we have found that if you lay out exactly what a pilot should do, it works good. If they are supposed to do A,B and C, it works...if they do A,B, C and D...there could be issues. I have been working with FSAcars for over four years now and have gotten quite adept at pinpointing problems. Although Windows 7 has thrown me the odd curve lately!! :P

Chuck

CYXU

• Administrators

I couldn't agree more about free hosting compared to a paid hosting service. I have used free hosting for development work before and it was horrible. As far as FSAcars goes, we have found that if you lay out exactly what a pilot should do, it works good. If they are supposed to do A,B and C, it works...if they do A,B, C and D...there could be issues. I have been working with FSAcars for over four years now and have gotten quite adept at pinpointing problems. Although Windows 7 has thrown me the odd curve lately!! :P

Chuck

CYXU

Yep, things need to be dead-on with it, which is a bit annoying. Especially on the parsing side.

I got a few emails that fivedev was a bit pricey, but its a few bucks more than other shared hosting, and in the end, you get what you pay for. And I don't like to do things half-assed!

• Moderators

Yep, things need to be dead-on with it, which is a bit annoying. Especially on the parsing side.

I got a few emails that fivedev was a bit pricey, but its a few bucks more than other shared hosting, and in the end, you get what you pay for. And I don't like to do things half-assed!

I totaly agree with you Nabeel, people are just too picky on the prices on what it is. It is a paid hosting at a reasonable price, we can't go low and lose profit, you gotta get money to pay for the servers and everything. I'm not too picky on prices, if i ordered a skin from Tom and it's $40 and it is worth the price, i can pay for a high quailty work. It's about resources and prices.

if i ordered a skin from Tom and it's $40 and it is worth the price, i can pay for a high quailty work.

Which of course it always is...

I think Nabeel's hosting is in fact very reasonably priced, considering I know it's a trustworthy provider and effort will always be put into fab server speed as well as the support. It's worth the extra money. Plus, when I see hosting for £1-3/month I instantly assume it's terrible and leave because nobody in the right mind would provide quality that cheap, so it can't possibly be quality.

Not true, he probably hasn't found any other VA's that want to be part of his "Power Player" team. He proposed his "offer" to us last week which consisted of him being kind enough to allow us to be his VA's "economy" partner, his VA is a luxury VA. :rolleyes: He was pretty specific that his "Holdings Group" would be there "to help you out". Thanks for the offer, but we'll just have to attempt to run our VA on our own.

As I shared with wrencha, I think he wants to become some type of VA Donald Trump, but he's actually just a tool.......

• Moderators

Not true, he probably hasn't found any other VA's that want to be part of his "Power Player" team. He proposed his "offer" to us last week which consisted of him being kind enough to allow us to be his VA's "economy" partner, his VA is a luxury VA. :rolleyes: He was pretty specific that his "Holdings Group" would be there "to help you out". Thanks for the offer, but we'll just have to attempt to run our VA on our own.

As I shared with wrencha, I think he wants to become some type of VA Donald Trump, but he's actually just a tool.......

I apeceted the merger, but i will be evaulating for 30 days. if somthing is not right or whatever casue i'll screw this VA and go back to mine.

But i'm getting the close that i will stop the merger.

• Like 1

I apeceted the merger, but i will be evaulating for 30 days. if somthing is not right or whatever casue i'll screw this VA and go back to mine.

But i'm getting the close that i will stop the merger.

Didn't mean to shat on your deal Vansers, although I would be VERY careful if I were you. We saw a huge smoke screen and no substance behind it, I asked for specifics and only received vague answers. I have been a VA manager for 8+ years now and have seen a lot of characters come and go, this one is no different than the rest........Just my 2 pesos.

• Moderators

Didn't mean to shat on your deal Vansers, although I would be VERY careful if I were you. I saw a huge smoke screen and no substance behind it, I asked for specifics and only received vague answers. I have been a VA manager for 8+ years now and have seen a lot of characters come and go........Just my 2 pesos.

I shutted down Canada Sun and i lost my aircraft painter.

I just messed up now.

• Moderators

did you shut down becouse off the merger or becouse you did not have anny activaty from pilots

The merger was going ok, and the VP of Emp airlines gave my Aircraft Painter some work to do and he got mad, and insulted the VP of Emp. I fired my aircraft painter and Emp too. So i'm with Emp for a while to see, then i might fix Canada Sun.

• Moderators

as dave mentiont i woumld be verry carfull in all the stuff you do with empora when i started my airline most people liked my website apart from 1 person, he wass dissing my site as he does to all websites.

maby we all schould propose a merger to on off our airlines and take over his stuff :lol:

gr joeri

• Moderators

as dave mentiont i woumld be verry carfull in all the stuff you do with empora when i started my airline most people liked my website apart from 1 person, he wass dissing my site as he does to all websites.

maby we all schould propose a merger to on off our airlines and take over his stuff :lol:

gr joeri

joeri, i may got this info from Emp that they said phpVMS is not awsome. But i ddin't say anything. PHPvms is awsome.

I heard it on the site.