What would you want in an ACARS?

Ben

Hey guys, i'm currently toying with developing my own ACARS in conjunction with FSTools. The purpose of this ACARS is to have user input reduced to a minimum, to reduce the amount that can go wrong.. That is of course unless you, the user, would want more input?

Now my aim is to produce a piece of software completely free (apart from de-branding etc, being optional) with maximum features, bug free and hopefully the best ACARS out there. It's not guaranteed that I will complete the ACARS, but I'd very much like to give something back to the guys here, and everywhere else across the aviation spectrum.

So this is mainly for you to request any features that you'd like to see..

Thanks, Ben

Hey guys, i'm currently toying with developing my own ACARS in conjunction with FSTools. The purpose of this ACARS is to have user input reduced to a minimum, to reduce the amount that can go wrong.. That is of course unless you, the user, would want more input?

Now my aim is to produce a piece of software completely free (apart from de-branding etc, being optional) with maximum features, bug free and hopefully the best ACARS out there. It's not guaranteed that I will complete the ACARS, but I'd very much like to give something back to the guys here, and everywhere else across the aviation spectrum.

Thanks, Ben

the good acars are keeping the same style you can see is all the same just change the name.

would be interesting to address mainly the style of import watch the flight vafs as is practical loads the flight the pilot made the flight booking is briefing weight only with one click not only the most vafs fsairlines that puts burden of pax and cargo and supplies the aircraft if we have three in one there would be a successful program.

I do not know much but I think that is how I do not know how to get xml data from FSUIPC'm chasing more to learn.

this case would be an awesome program would topple all other reporting systems when incorporated into phpvms already the best reporting system for flight already developed in recent times.

br

boa os acars estão mantendo o mesmo estilo você pode observar é tudo igual só muda o nome.

seria interessante mudar principalmente o estilo de importação de voo observe o vafs como é prático o piloto carrega o voo faz a reserva de voo tem o briefing peso só com um clica não só o vafs mais fsairlines que coloca o peso dos pax e carga e abastece a aeronave se tivermos os três em um ai seria um sucesso de programa .

eu não sei muito mas acho que tem como é que eu não sei como pegar os dados do fsuipc xml mais estou correndo atrás para aprender .

neste caso seria um otimo programa iria derrubar todos os demais sistemas de reporte quando incorporado no phpvms que já é o melhor sistema de reporte de voos já desenvolvido nos últimos tempos.

Ben,

I would like to see this in an acars system (some great VAs already have it, the best acars ever seen is Thomson's, Mark1million knows and may could help you more on this):

Position reporting. During a flight, the pilots should be asked to confirm he is in the cockpit (eg. asked press a button to prove it). The acars can have it written in the report comments. (for example the comment : time 01:10Z/position confirmed - or NOT confirmed)

This could happen several times during a flight, once for small flights, 2 or more for longer ones, and all the comments will appear in the pirep. So, other flights could be accepted, others not.

About the data filled by the pilot, it would be fast to have some data automatically filled: load, fuel, aircraft type, departure airport, destination airport etc can fe given to the pirep through fsuipc instead of asking pilots to type. Then, the pirep could be automatically compared to the flight schedules and accept (or not) the flight.

• Like 1

Ben,

I would like to see this in an acars system (some great VAs already have it, the best acars ever seen is Thomson's, Mark1million knows and may could help you more on this):

Position reporting. During a flight, the pilots should be asked to confirm he is in the cockpit (eg. asked press a button to prove it). The acars can have it written in the report comments. (for example the comment : time 01:10Z/position confirmed - or NOT confirmed)

This could happen several times during a flight, once for small flights, 2 or more for longer ones, and all the comments will appear in the pirep. So, other flights could be accepted, others not.

About the data filled by the pilot, it would be fast to have some data automatically filled: load, fuel, aircraft type, departure airport, destination airport etc can fe given to the pirep through fsuipc instead of asking pilots to type. Then, the pirep could be automatically compared to the flight schedules and accept (or not) the flight.

I have heard of this, (the position reporting) and it shouldn't be hard at all to add in. But as you say, if Mark1million knows more about this and would be happy to give me some info or go into more detail, i'l be happy to have a chat with him.

And the data filled..My sole intention, as you have said, is to have most of it already filled in. It seems that having asked around other people, this is the preferred method.

Are there any features being a pilot you would want? More utilities if you will, in-bedded in the ACARS to give you something to do whilst flying, or would you want it as a click and fly system?

Thanks for the input so far.

Some acars systems (such as vafs) give the pilots many more information (weather and navigation data, payload details) but i think these are all not needed as we use other ways to collect and use such information. Acars should not act as a guide or flight add-on to help pilots, it should be used to only log data and send them to VA.

I think the best for pilots is:

- less manually input = less waste of time

- many details logged automatically from acars to the pireps without pilot's participation to this

- easy to create and send the pirep when finished the flight

and for the VAs:

- many details given in the pireps (eg landing rate, lights usage, speed limitations and other flight quality parameters)

- ability to choose which of them to use, to rate (and/or) accept/deny flights, score/penalty pilots

For sure, well I will put all the basic features in, then as other requests come in I will be able to release different versions of the ACARS, and if the additions are not wanted by some VA's, I will update previous versions with bug fixes etc to keep everyone happy. I will start work on the flight logging possibly tonight or tomorrow.

I have a considerable amount of work to be doing due to exams in may, but i'l plough on and get as much done as possible in these holidays.

• Administrators

That would be annoying

Nabeel, it would be annoying only when the pilot take off and then let the plane cruise alone until TOD. Of course this should not be a standard but optional feature, for any VA who want it.

Many many times, pilots reach cruise level, and then go shopping, go sleep,, anywhere doing anything and then come back just to land the plane. This is not simulation, this is just hour hunting and i would love to have the ability in my VA to deny such flights!!

And when many many VAs do operate offline, you can imagine what pilots could do just to achieve hours without simulating at all.

I think the choice for a VA is needed.

• 6 months later...

Thanks, Ben

What program where you using to make the acars system?

That would be annoying

It is. I flew at one online place and that was a standard there. Heaven forbid if you have little kids that need tending to or something like that. I know I have 3 of them running around here that are always coming in and getting me to help them do something.

So yeah, I think an option for this would be ok but not mandatory. That would make many a pilots walk away from the VA and not look back. After all it is a video game and not real life. ;) What we have here is nothing more than Mr. Rogers and the land of make believe. Really.

But the keep it simple approach is real nice. Less is always more to pilots. The less they have to do, the more they love it. That was the one and only good feature that the original ACARS script did was import bid from the VA site and filled in info.

One other important thing is accurate info for the live flight map. We all know good and well what I am referring to. FSFK, XACARS, and I am not sure of the others do not allow Nabeel to give accurate info. A script that would allow Nabeel to give the map accurate info would be great!

Just my $0.02 Have a great night fellers!

Wow, thats alot! =P You would think that if they sold it at a cheaper price, more people might buy it?

anyway thanks,

james

You should be able to get it at a real nice cut rate if your a student in college. I just got Adobe CS5 for under $260. Now that is dirt cheap.

Sorry guys, I'll be quiet now. Back to the main topic already in progress.