Nabeel

Pre-Alpha testing

I'm trying to get to an alpha state by Christmas. Here's what I need help with testing:

• The installer - If you go to /install, the installer should come up. I'm using a 3rd party installer that I've forked since there are some issues, so I need some help with hardening that. If you have a shared server, getting some testing on the installer for that would be great too. We can talk on Discord about the strategy for that
  • User Registration, and then assigning users to a group, making sure the proper ones can access the admin panel
  • All the functionality in the admin right now - so adding airlines, airports, subfleets, aircraft to subfleets, and then flights and assigning subfleets to flights. I'm trying to figure out a service for the airport lookup that might be more reliable. I might have an initial version of an api lookup and get some scaffolding with setting up the initial vacentral version up.
  • Filing PIREPs
  • Searching flights on both the front and backend. Also saving flights. And filtering flights based on where the last user was
  • Modules - the addon system should be working mostly fully at this point, see https://github.com/nabeelio/phpvms/wiki/modules
    • There might be some issues here with getting the initial setup working, so I'd like to have this figured out

Hopefully things should be mostly ok.

Is this to be installed on a regular hosting server such as phpVMS V5.5.X etc...? If so I would like to test for you if I can get the correct link? And are there instructions provided?

Thanks!

On 12/10/2017 at 1:55 PM, jnascar said:

Is this to be installed on a regular hosting server such as phpVMS V5.5.X etc...? If so I would like to test for you if I can get the correct link? And are there instructions provided?

Thanks!

Yes, installation is about the same. The instructions are in the readme file, but I know they can use some more refining.

Apparently I am looking at the wrong item on GitHub as I don't see an Install folder in the main root. Am I missing something? The one I have says phpVMS Master and is the NEW version you are working on, but states it requires HomeStead, Composer, etc.... which I know nothing about really! Is is ready for regular user installation to a hosting server that we will use?

14 hours ago, jnascar said:

Apparently I am looking at the wrong item on GitHub as I don't see an Install folder in the main root. Am I missing something? The one I have says phpVMS Master and is the NEW version you are working on, but states it requires HomeStead, Composer, etc.... which I know nothing about really! Is is ready for regular user installation to a hosting server that we will use?

I'll assume you're using shared hosting? The Homestead, Composer, etc. stuff are really useful tools for downloading and updating dependencies on a local environment, in this case specifically Laravel (and in some cases, dedicated hosting/VPS systems). For this to work on shared hosting, there are a few more steps needed, one of which is for Nabeel to include the /vendor folder (as you can't install composer on shared hosting). Another is actually pointing your hosting to the correct installation folder. There is no dedicated "install" folder (as of yet) as the entire app is the entire folder downloaded from Github.

Takes some time, but it's doable. I suggest waiting for Nabeel's reply though.

Edited by web541

On 12/11/2017 at 11:59 PM, jnascar said:

There's no install folder, but going to /install will work, since it's handled by the webapp. Do you have SSH access? Right now, you only need SSH access, so you can run composer. I'm working on getting a version that's built with all the dependencies and stuff so you don't need SSH access. I'm trying to figure that out in the next couple days.

As for the moment, you run composer install, and then go to the /install in the browser. That should take you to the installer.

22 hours ago, web541 said:

I'll assume you're using shared hosting? The Homestead, Composer, etc. stuff are really useful tools for downloading and updating dependencies on a local environment, in this case specifically Laravel (and in some cases, dedicated hosting/VPS systems). For this to work on shared hosting, there are a few more steps needed, one of which is for Nabeel to include the /vendor folder (as you can't install composer on shared hosting). Another is actually pointing your hosting to the correct installation folder. There is no dedicated "install" folder (as of yet) as the entire app is the entire folder downloaded from Github.

Takes some time, but it's doable. I suggest waiting for Nabeel's reply though.

Some shared hosts do allow composer access, but you're right, I'm working on getting the /vendor folder included in a "fully-packaged" zip file. 

Actually I took out all the installer stuff for now, I'll just write it from scratch. I was using a 3rd party plugin and it seems to have too many issues.