Installer Feedback

Nabeel

• Administrators

So I was using a 3rd party module for the installer, I decided to scrap it and just write it fresh from scratch. If you download the new nightly tarball, you should be able to just extract it, and then go to /install.

Right now, it will create the database files, and then load the default "dev" data. Eventually it'll have the final step of creating the first user and stuff, but for now I just want to get the DB install stuff working.

If you have issues, zip up the files in the storage/logs folders and add them to a post so I can take a look.

I'm working on a solution for /public as well on shared hosts, so if you want to help test that, let me know as well.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jnascar said:

I want to help test the new phpVMS on a shared host with an easy installer, kind of like the final version will be :) When it is available and I can make a separate folder for it along with my 5.X version. Just let me know if that is possible in the future?

Are you on Discord? If you're handy with PHP and pathing, try the instructions here...

https://github.com/nabeelio/phpvms/wiki/shared-hosts#copying-the-public-folder-contents

If you need to make modifications to those instructions, just post the changes here, or create a new issue on github, and I'll update the wiki.

Yes, I am on your Discord also and sent to a PM on your Discord channel. Problem is I have never done the SSH stuff and I also have an active phpVMS virtual airline I do not want to mess up! So, will that moving the public folder thing delete my virtual airline? Just think of me as just barely above a normal user, although I have been using phpVMS since 2010 or so :) I am usually not bothered trying new things to learn, but have to say the whole Laravel, Composer, and stuff has my head whirling :) I will get it one day, just maybe not before you release to the general public. But I AM going to try, as I want to help with the project very much! And id testing on a shared host is all I can do, so be it :)

Still learning this kind of stuff, sorry!

I am going to try this option right now:

Copying the /public folder contents

This is similar to above, however, this doesn't require SSH access, but does require some editing of files to point to the proper paths (edits will be made easier following some testing to make sure this works).

1. Place phpvms parallel to your public_html folder (as with the above step).
  2. Copy all of the contents of the phpvms/public folder to the folder you want (e.g, the root of public_html).
  3. Open the index.php file, and edit the two require commands, to point to the phpvmsdirectory. For example, if your phpvms directory is next to public_html, and you copied the phpvms/public/ contents into the root of public_html, the changes would look like (only changes shown)
# Change line 13:
$path_to_phpvms_folder = __DIR__.'/../phpvms/';

Next, open the phpvms/bootstrap/app.php, and change the reverse path:

$app->bind('path.public', function () {
    # This line needs to change to the folder the index.php lives in
    # Will be made as an option, so it doesn't get overwritten
    return __DIR__.'/../../public_html';
});

If you would rather use absolute paths, that is fine as well.

Edited by jnascar

I think some of the instructions there are a bit confusing for you.

If you are installing it onto the same hosting as your phpvms installation, you may need to change the public_html with another folder just to make sure you don't stuff up that installation accidentally.

Go to your files where it has the folder called public_html (should be a bunch there which you wouldn't normally touch).

Create a folder here called phpvms (this is the name of the folder you will need to use when modifying the directories, make sure this is NOT in the same folder as public_html, but in its own folder above it).

Now your folder structure should look like this

home/.....
	public_html
	phpvms

Inside the phpvms folder, upload the downloaded zip folder except for the public folder

Still inside the phpvms folder, go into bootstrap/app.php and edit these lines

return __DIR__.'/../public';
});

to this

# This line needs to change to the folder the index.php lives in
    # Will be made as an option, so it doesn't get overwritten
    return __DIR__.'/../../public_html';
});

Now go into the public_html folder and upload only the public folder's contents

From here, open index.php and find this line

$path_to_phpvms_folder = __DIR__.'/../';

Change it to this

# Change line 13:
$path_to_phpvms_folder = __DIR__.'/../phpvms/';

And it should work with Nabeel's instructions (make sure that your folder permissions are set correctly and that your directory structure is the same as above). Using this method, a symlink to the storage directory may be needed.

EDIT: Just saw Nabeel's last post, he'll be able to help.

Edited by web541

Alright, I definitely did not do it that way as I was confused. So I create the phpvms folder in the Root are instead of the public_html like I was doing? Trying this method! So also apparently ( if I get it working ) I won't need the database I created as it will create one with some test data? I guess? So I already have an index, php page and am guessing I need to replace that with the contents of the public folder from phpvms V7?

I'll let you know!

Edited by jnascar

Well that breaks my other phpVMS installation and I don't know what a symlink is. So I guess I am done as the index.php replaces my old one and disables my other 5.x phpvms installation. All I get is a blank screen, unless I am using the wrong path, when accessing the site? Anything is possible!

Any other ideas?

Edited by jnascar

• Administrators
On 12/16/2017 at 2:28 PM, web541 said:

I think some of the instructions there are a bit confusing for you.

Did you try this, and did it work?

Now with the latest version, I think I have it working so you can just drop it into a folder and it should all work. Give it a shot. The thing is that it might need some work on the .htaccess file for the URL rewrite stuff. I tried to make it so that it'll work with the "proper" way of pointing a server to the public folder, but if you have to, you can either do the symlink or moving the public folder, or just dropping it in.  I had to make a few changes, though, so if you've already got an install, rename the .env file to env.php. I had to override some of the methods in Laravels master bootstrap in order to shift some other directories around, but the main thing was the env file. I still have to fix the installer for a few things.

So grab the latest master, upload it to a folder and then try going to it in the browser and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
6 hours ago, mark1million said:

A quick update, i dont thing a rewrite is working correctly as i have to put index.php before everything and i managed to get it installed but its not how it should be

Yeah this sounds like the htaccess rules aren't working correctly. Who's your host? Do they run Apache? You can also PM me the files zipped in storage/logs

• Moderators

For information i found out that the error was.......

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default had the AllowOverride All, but the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf also had the same entry for our web Directory with AllowOverwrite None. So be sure to check both places!

Changed web directory to "all" so it was allowed to parse the .htaccess file and good to go.

• Administrators

Got it. If it's your own server, you can also run on nginx and php-fpm, you'll get better performance. The good thing with your own server as well is that you can setup other services for caching and speeding things up. I'll write a guide for that soon but that can be later.

So it's working now?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, mark1million said:

Yes it's all good now. Let me know what functions you need testing as I have been playing about with things already.

Just making sure everything is working as expected. There's still a lot to be done functionality-wise

• 1 month later...