Customize Template for phpVMS v7 [TUTORIAL]!

in2tech

I know that the version 7 is still being worked on, and have no idea when it will be ready for wide release but I have been learning the basic's of Blade Templating and converting an existing Bootstrap & HTML template to phpVMS v7. I am also trying to learn the basic's of Laravel for v7. I am not a coder by any mean's just enjoy making template's for the old version's of phpVMS and also learning how to make them or customize them for v7. I am making video's and was wondering if anyone is interested, while I work on them. My way is just the simple old school way similar to the older version's. Still have to learn SASS, Laravel, etc... but the basic's of the look of the templates do work, so that you can have something look different than the stock one, and hopefully we can learn and help each other.

Please let me know if you are interested in these very basic video's. I have the first one done that show's you how to get the converted template to show up, and now have to work on the navigation, drop down menu, content, etc... video's! I have not made very many, if any, (wait I did make one Adobe Muse one for menu's that is super simple about 3-4 years ago and for some strange reason has like 80,000 views),  and they are not very professional, still learning, but get the job done!

phpVMS 7 is still in development, not recommended to use as a production virtual airline!

Alright, here is the first video in I hope to be a series. I worked on the navigation and Snag It crashed, a lot of work down the drain. Have to redo it at some point! I do all my editing on a Mac, but it's the same for WIndow's! Just use the editor of choice and FileZilla type program, etc... This is how I do although there are a ton of different ways!

phpVMS v7 template links and basics - Part 1

Thanks!

• Thanks 3

On 10/25/2018 at 9:32 AM, Nabeel said:

You can probably just throw them up onto YouTube. The base templates won't be changed much, if at all, between now and release

Yeah already had it on YouTube was just waiting for mainly you to let me know if thing's would change much. Now posted a link above. I have the basic's of the templates working and converted, however I am having some trouble getting some, or most parts of V7 actually working with my converted templates, although they look fairly decent. Not sure if I am missing code from the original default one or if it is causing error's some how. I'll have to ask for help on these issue's, but I have the look and the main menu working though! Doesn't hurt to try and learn :)

Thanks for your encouragement, I'll post them and keep trying to learn! Although I know you don't want to put a time on it, are we looking at 2019, 2020, or like 2030 for the first public release :) If you don't won't to say, I get it! I am still enjoying learning. BTW, I am having one heck of a time trying to find info on Widgets. In general for Laravel or for sure v7. Can you help with that in any way? Seem's like I should try and learn that before trying to learn a module, which I may never figure out!

It should look just like the original template, but as you can see it is being served from my v7 server installation:

2018-10-26_1543

Any trust me you will have error's and thing's you have to fix. I do all the time while learning.

Thanks! Good luck with converting your first  template to a v7 Theme :) Navigation video being redone is next in the series!

Edited by in2tech
  • Thanks 1

Here is part 2 of how to customize the navigation from the Serenity template and convert it to work with phpVMS 7! Sorry about some of the sniffling through my nose and some loud cough's!

phpVMS v7 Navigation - Part 2

How do I edit the title as I want to add Tutorial to it?

Edited by in2tech
  • Like 1

Just some screen shots of the work I am doing on the template. Might be kind of hard to explain this part in a tutorial but I will try at some point!

Number 1:

2018-10-27_1500

Number 2:

2018-10-27_1501

Number 3:

2018-10-27_1502

A lot more work to do as this file point's to that file and you edit that file and then it point's to another file, and then you have to find where the button is to match your site, etc... I am learning a bunch and for the most part it is fun, for the most part :) Just nice to know we can have our own customized theme in v7! And yes of course we can, but we have to figure it out, and that's the fun part, mostly!

Tell me what you think?

Edited by in2tech

Who knew you could use the new button group in I think bootstrap 4 for the pilots info? Not me, until I tried, and it looks pretty good! No cookie cutter here :)

2018-10-27_2330

Now it's starting to be fun! Have to say though, doing this part takes a lot of time and trail. You screw it up, you try something different and a ton of trouble shooting, for me at least!

Edited by in2tech

I am gonna try and make a few video's of changing the content on pages like Dashboard, Home, etc... but I don't really have a method to my madness at this point, so I will try in the future to make one that hopefully people will understand although I am not exactly sure. I edit this and then I edit that, and I test, and it does not work, so I try that etc... until I get some kind of result I like so it's kind of hard at this point to make a video. Maybe when I get better at it.

Having said that I did figure out why my map, registration, filing a pirep, etc... was not working. I had to put this code above all my script's at the bottom of the app.blade.php file. Something like this:

2018-10-28_1606

As you can see the required phpVMS 7 file references are now ABOVE my Javascript library links and now most items work properly although I have to format a ton of pages! Best of luck to every one. Also, I said in the first video I knew nothing about these files so ignore that and copy these links from the default Theme in the app.blade.php file into your Serenity app.blade.php file and although it might look horrible, the map, flight's, pirep's, registration, and such should work, SHOULD!

Let me know if anyone tries to follow my first 2 video's and get the Serenity template basic's working in v7?

Good luck!

Edited by in2tech

I'll have to add this to a table or something in the future, but here is the reformatted Profile page. Or the start of it :)

2018-10-28_1639

I like it just have to clean it up :) When taking screen shot's although the info is bogus, get used to not showing your API key, email, etc... Luckily I noticed right away, although it's all bogus! That was close :)

Edited by in2tech

Making room for the future, when I find more info to put into the duplicate table with different info hopefully! Latest Profile page. Now I can't stop :)

2018-10-28_1839

I would like to have total va hours, miles, total pilots, total passengers, etc... info if anyone knows how to do that already?

Thanks!

Edited by in2tech

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so after Nabeel ( developer of phpVMS 7 and original phpVMS ) explained this to me, and I am sure he will chime in here when he has time. The way I understand it is that the text in his original default v7 theme and in v7 that will be showing to users is a Laravel library I think it is called and instead of entering code like I did below in my nav.blade.php file below ( chopped up code not complete ). Well not really code but TEXT for the navigation names:

<ul class="nav topnav">
                 @if(Auth::check())
                <li class="dropdown active">
                  <a href="{{ route('frontend.dashboard.index') }}">Dashboard</a>
                </li>

@endif                       
                <li><a href="{{ route('frontend.livemap.index') }}">Live Map</a></li>
                <li><a href="{{ route('frontend.pilots.index') }}">Pilots</a></li>

You would instead include the Laravel library language code so that it will display for different languages, say like Spanish. How it does this I have no clue! But this is what you would copy over from the default nav.blade.php file. There is also a language file and can't remember where it is, with a bunch more options.

<ul class="nav topnav">
                 @if(Auth::check())
                <li class="dropdown active">
                  <a href="{{ route('frontend.dashboard.index') }}">@lang('common.dashboard')</a>
                </li>

@endif                       
                <li><a href="{{ route('frontend.livemap.index') }}">@lang('common.livemap')</a></li>
                <li><a href="{{ route('frontend.pilots.index') }}">{{ trans_choice('common.pilot', 2) }}</a></li>

I thought this would mess up my text and so forth from my template, but it has not yet, and should not. I also can't remember the {{ trans_choice('common.pilot', 2) }} code meaning cause I looked it up a long time ago.If I remember correctly the number 2, makes choices this instance between the singular PILOT and the plural PILOTS! I am still learning! Hope this help's someone. I almost sure you DON"T have to use the language files, it's up to you.

Edited by in2tech

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...