phpVMS 5.5.2 on php7.2

ProAvia

• Administrators

Our host just informed us that they will be upgrading to php7.2 and removing php 5.6 in the next few months.

Does anyone know if phpVMS 5.5.2 will work without issue on php 7.2? If it won't work, any idea of what needs to be changed?

Guess I'm going to have to install wamp again and set it up with the hosting companys current version to test things out locally.

I did get your message, I have an idea, I'll try in the very near future phpvms 5.5.xx with 7.2 and see what happens and what doesn't. I just need a little time to backup all of my php versions of scripting attached to my CGI system first. A few days should do it. I'm curious as I did have it working Once, but had issues of course with older modules etc.....There has to be a way with some hard core scripting I'm sure to get it to fly with 5.5.xx.  After I download the php.ini file from my server, I will let you know and I'll give it another shot. My hosting company is very flexible in the CP, so I really won't lose anything in it, as long as I back it all up etc...........I'll keep in touch with this one, as many would like the same situation here.

Jim

There are some older threads on here alluding to getting 5.5.2 working with PHP 7.x but nothing seemed to ever get posted on them. I honestly don't know what is broken out of the box but several on here have flat out said it will NOT work. There is Nabeel's v2.x build specifically for PHP 7.0 on GitHub but I haven't looked at it and what the key differences are mainly since I'm a 5.5.2 site for a year now and don't want to migrate to the 2.x line. On Discord Pete mentioned a 5.5.2 update for PHP 7.x... does anyone know where that is?

I still say for anyone concerned about this especially when a host doesn't support you any more the best solution really is a VPS. Takes a little more maintenance and know-how but everything is Googleable. I've done the cost benefit analysis and a decent VPS solution from a reputable provider is about the same if not a little cheaper than a web hosting (cpanel) service. 

• Administrators

Thanks gents

I tried php7.2 and it showed quite a few errors in phpvms 5.5.2 - I think I'm going to download phpvms 2.x for php7 and compare the file differences with 5.5.2 to see if there is a common theme.

If either of you hear/see anything on Discord or elsewhere, please update here.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, ProAvia said:

Thanks gents

I tried php7.2 and it showed quite a few errors in phpvms 5.5.2 - I think I'm going to download phpvms 2.x for php7 and compare the file differences with 5.5.2 to see if there is a common theme.

If either of you hear/see anything on Discord or elsewhere, please update here. 

Thanks!

Any success in your endeavors for PHP 7.x compliance with the 5.5.x baseline? 

• Administrators

Still a WIP. Got it running locally in Wamp on 5.6.40. Moved over to 7.2 and s-l-o-w-l-y fixing issues. I'm trying to document everything. 

Tried installing 2.x and comparing it to 5.5.2 - but it shows a bunch of errors in 7.2, so I abandoned that idea.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Edited by ProAvia
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ProAvia said:

Still a WIP. Got it running locally in Wamp on 5.6.40. Moved over to 7.2 and s-l-o-w-l-y fixing issues. I'm trying to document everything. 

Tried installing 2.x and comparing it to 5.5.2 - but it shows a bunch of errors in 7.2, so I abandoned that idea.

Will let you know how it turns out.

I assume you are using the default installation of 5.5.2 with no mods correct? If successful, maybe we can fork simpilots's GitHub and make this a separate version, say 5.5.3 or 5.6 to annotate that this is a PHP 7.x compliant version. I know in the grand scheme of things we are trying to deprecate the 2.x/5.x baselines and eventually move to v7, but I for one probably won't be upgrading to PHPVMS v7 for the foreseeable future. I'm sure this will be of great value to a number of folks! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support.

• Administrators

I had an issue installing the default 5.5.2 locally, so am presently using my modded files and imported database. I have an idea on how to successfully install a virgin 5.5.2, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Like you, I do plan to move to phpVMS v7 - but right now need to get 5.5.2 working with php 7.2 as my host is removing php 5.x in the next month or so. With phpVMS v7 still being in beta and the lack of modules, skins, ACARS, etc - I thought this the best course of action for now.

Good idea about forking SimPilots Github. I'll be in touch once I get a virgin 5.5.2 installed locally.

Edited by ProAvia

• Administrators

5..5.2 default install running locally after installing using php 5.6. Changed php to version 7.2.7 after install. Quite a number of Warning and Deprecated errors to fix.

I've made some progress and have PM'd a few people to have a look, help out, etc. This is very much a WIP.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm finding that out. I have made some progress though.

I need to have something in place by month end as my host says they are removing 5.6 by then. And according to what they tell me, only 7.2 will be available after that. Moving to a different host at this time is not an option.

Edited by ProAvia

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

It's always an option. But we're on a sub-domain and the main domain holder just paid for hosting for another 5 years.

I have my site on phpVMS 5.5.2 with PHP 7.2 running stable right now - actually for over a week now. No warning or deprecated errors, ACARS works too. Once I have a little time, I will share the updates with the community.

Edited by ProAvia

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
On 3/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, thunder175 said:

I assume you are using the default installation of 5.5.2 with no mods correct? If successful, maybe we can fork simpilots's GitHub and make this a separate version, say 5.5.3 or 5.6 to annotate that this is a PHP 7.x compliant version. I know in the grand scheme of things we are trying to deprecate the 2.x/5.x baselines and eventually move to v7, but I for one probably won't be upgrading to PHPVMS v7 for the foreseeable future. I'm sure this will be of great value to a number of folks! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support.

Just a quick update... I have a default installation of 5.5.2 edited to work with PHP 7.2. Still in the process of editing the install program to work correctly with PHP 7.2 - but once installed, phpVMS works fine in 7.2. There is limited ongoing testing taking place by a few community members. Once a few minor install issues are sorted we will make this available to the community.

Thunder175 - Any help you would be willing to provide would be most welcome!