Resources for emotional support for a retired pilot

LauraG

Hi, I am a hospital social worker and have a patient who is retired from flying secondary to a medical condition.  It is uncertain if he will be cleared to fly at a later date.  He has been flying for 40 years (commercial and in the National Guard) and the thought of not flying is understandably very depressing.  He does not have children, only a sibling who lives out of state but he does have some close friends locally...very limited social support.   Are you aware of support groups that might be appropriate for him?  Thank you for your time. 

Laura

On 3/26/2019 at 1:10 AM, LauraG said:

Hi, I am a hospital social worker and have a patient who is retired from flying secondary to a medical condition.  It is uncertain if he will be cleared to fly at a later date.  He has been flying for 40 years (commercial and in the National Guard) and the thought of not flying is understandably very depressing.  He does not have children, only a sibling who lives out of state but he does have some close friends locally...very limited social support.   Are you aware of support groups that might be appropriate for him?  Thank you for your time. 

Laura

Hey Laura, 
Thanks for letting us know, could I suggest something?

I think, he should take part in the training programmes of IVAO/VATSIM (and POSCON in future). I know a veteran pilot who teaches young enthusiasts about the "not-so-easy-to-understand" aviation subjects through IVAO. I feel, flying virtually on a simulator can also be monotonous sometimes. But teaching someone, might bring out the best in him, and also inspire the person he is teaching. Me being an IVAO instructor myself, I believe "You gain, by giving" 

Of course it would not be easy to get into a division / vARTCC, but I am sure, considering his experience in the real world, he would be welcomed at the above mentioned virtual networks. 

Please make him take a look,
http://ivao.aero/
http://vatsim.net/

Hoping for the best. 
Leonard.