Migration and Import Question

nicky9499

Good day everyone,

My virtual airline is doing a feasibility study and research of options for next year's migration plans. We have been using VAFS for the better part of a decade.

We like phpVMS' stability, control and flexibility, in addition to being compatible with SmartCARS.

However, starting the VA from scratch is out of the question, therefore migrating as much data over is a key consideration.

To this end, I have searched but found no information on how to import existing PIREPs (not flight schedules) and pilot accounts into phpVMS.

We have a programmer that can take VAFS PIREPs and parse them into any format, CSV or otherwise, required for the destination system.

Please advise.

Cheerio,

Nick

Edited by nicky9499

• Moderators

phpVMS v7 is currently under development. In any case, your developer would be great if he could familirize himself with the system's file and database tables. In that case, he will be able to do everything required to import all of the data into phpVMS's database without loosing any of them.

Thank you for the reply Servetas however that does not answer my question at all. Here is it, rephrased:

To further elaborate: at [http://demo.phpvms.net/admin/flights] there is an Import button at the top of the page.

At [http://demo.phpvms.net/admin/pireps] there is not.

Edited by nicky9499

• Administrators

You can import flights - schedules - thru the admin panel. There is no facility in the admin to import PIREPS or pilots.

You should be able to export your PIREPS from your present database using phpMyAdmin. You would then convert that export to the format used for phpVMS v7 and import that into the phpVMS database using phpMyAdmin. Be advised, there may be some fields present in your current database that aren't in phpVMS. Likewise, phpVMS may have some fields that your current software doesn't have.

In any case, you will have to convert most all of your database tables as the format most likely will not match that of phpVMS.

Thank you ProAvia, fully understood.

Do you think you could post a screenshot of the PIREP database (or just a list of fields present) in phpvms v5, if possible, please?

It would be really helpful for our associate who can then start working on the conversions right away while I install and setup the system (and smartcars).

• Administrators

Well now it sounds like you are leaning toward converting from VAFS to phpVMS 5.5.2. 

What version of PHP does your host support?

For PHP 5 see here: https://github.com/DavidJClark/phpvms_5.5.x

For PHP 7.0 - 7.2 see here: https://github.com/ProAviaAZ/phpvms_5.5.2.72

Both of these are basically identical, except for the PHP version they work under. For either, look in /install/sql/structure.xml for the DB table structure.

phpVMS v7 database is totally different than phpVMS v 5.5.2 - and presently, there is no migration tool to convert between the two versions.

Edited by ProAvia

Hi ProAvia,

Thanks for the elaboration. My host supports php 5.2.17 through 7.3.9.

The team is currently looking at phpvms 5 as it is the last version compatible with TFDi's smartCARS.

However, that there is no way forward from phpvms 5 to 7 is a major concern as we plan for this to be a long term solution.

Is there any migration tool planned (or even possible)? If not, we may put off our plans until smartCARS is compatible with phpvms 7.

Edited by nicky9499

• Administrators

There currently is a migration tool for v2/v5 to v7, but I haven't tested it in a long time; it's a command-line/manual process and still incomplete with a few things. I know this is something I'm going to have to better address (to make it easier), but from what I remember, almost everything did transfer over. I think that's something I'm going to focus on getting to work better before the full release. There was some potential data loss, mostly with ACARS, because all the different ACARS stored their data in their own formats.

But that's something I'll need help testing.

v7 won't be compatible with smartcars. They had their own API layer and stuff which sat on top of classic.

• Like 1