PIREP Raw Data

Ither

I couldn't find answer besides "CC Flight Tracker' module -- is there a secret trick to enabling raw data on PIREPS? I did shoot message over to SmartCARS to ask them but wanted to check here first. I found couple threads about it but they ultimately ended up as "SmartCARS can but I went to CC Flight Tracker."

• Administrators

The rawdata field in the pireps table is where position data for the flown route is stored. This is actually position reporting data provided by some ACARS programs - not all ACARS programs report this data to phpVMS. The use of this field is not something the user can control directly.

One program that does use this field is kACARSII, but it is not longer available. And I believe FSACARS also used this field. There may be others, but I don't have first hand knowledge of them.

kACARS_Free and smartACARS do not seem to use this field.

7 hours ago, shakamonkey88 said:

@Ither - Yup, and this is why people mention CC Flight Position Tracker.  It will populate that rawdata field in the table - this is what I use coupled with SmartCARS.

AH, gotcha -- OK. Did you by chance convert to OSM? I'm considering grabbing it but it looks like the company is super quiet. I have their Charter/Cargo so far and I haven't had much trouble. I do run OSM for other maps and I wasn't sure how difficult it was to migrate to and if you had.

My two biggest wants is having the actual path shown on live map when you click pilot and of course having it on the PIREP instead. It seems that module does it as I can tell.

Have to agree on both answers for this one, smartCARS & TFDi don't use the raw data field (although they say their smartCARS v3 will have this capability, but who knows when this will be released). Theoretically, you could catch/make an acars live tracking event through another module or integrate it (and serialize) the data from smartCARS to get it to work, but there is no native solution. This looks similar to what CC have done, but I haven't used the module myself.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:13 PM, shakamonkey88 said:

@Ither - Yup, and this is why people mention CC Flight Position Tracker.  It will populate that rawdata field in the table - this is what I use coupled with SmartCARS.

Disregard my question. I ended up biting bullet and buying it-- LOVE IT.

It integrated my flight path into my existing pirep report with not much work. I added extra set of paths so now I show actual flight path and then route path (if they put their route in.)

I'm working on the live map now. I want it to show their actual path as well.

@shakamonkey88 did you ever integrate flight path onto the ACARS map that Nabeel released with OSM migration? I'm curious about it--still digging through code looking at how flight tracker pulls the data.

Edited by Ither

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2020 at 2:15 AM, Ither said:

Disregard my question. I ended up biting bullet and buying it-- LOVE IT.

It integrated my flight path into my existing pirep report with not much work. I added extra set of paths so now I show actual flight path and then route path (if they put their route in.)

I'm working on the live map now. I want it to show their actual path as well.

@shakamonkey88 did you ever integrate flight path onto the ACARS map that Nabeel released with OSM migration? I'm curious about it--still digging through code looking at how flight tracker pulls the data.

Hey Ither. Did you manage to integrate the path onto the live map? I've got it working through the /trackflight as it should, but can't get it to show on the live map.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, Waters10 said:

Hey Ither. Did you manage to integrate the path onto the live map? I've got it working through the /trackflight as it should, but can't get it to show on the live map.

Cheers!

I took the concept and did it -- yes.

You'll want the entire track flight function copied over and then you need to call it when clicking on the pilot (so will need to make code for the onClick that fires off trackflight with their PID.

• Like 1