How to migrate to a new web host

DeletedUser

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, MrSandyWilly said:

Hi,

I have been using PHPVMS on a free web host for testing, and I’m thinking about the future when I come to upgrade to paid hosting.

How do I migrate to a new web host without loosing data?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Compress the folder where you have your phpvms files, and export sql database.

In your new hosting: upload and unzip the folder and import sql database (you can use phpmyadmin)

Be sure that change URL, DB name, user and password on core/local.config.php

and captcha keys on core/app.config.php

3 hours ago, ProSkyDesign said:

Compress the folder where you have your phpvms files, and export sql database.

In your new hosting: upload and unzip the folder and import sql database (you can use phpmyadmin)

Be sure that change URL, DB name, user and password on core/local.config.php

and captcha keys on core/app.config.php

I have a question relating to that:

My local.config.php file is completely empty. Why?

3 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

Be sure you are looking at the correct file and location. The local.config.php is located in .../core/

If the local.config.php was empty, the site wouldn't even load - as the database access code is located in local.config.php

I assure you, it is completely empty. So far all of that stuff has been in app.config.php i think.

Edited by MrSandyWilly

5 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

Then your installation is done incorrectly.

You NEVER add to or change anything in app.config.php - any additions or changes are done to local.config.php . 

I think I know why - the default installation was not working for me so I tried this: https://github.com/DavidJClark/phpvms_5.5.x 

Maybe it works differently

Edited by MrSandyWilly

• Administrators

Basically, yes. But local.config.php also contains important info on how to connect to your database. That info should not be in app.config.php. The app.config.php file is a base file and should not be changed or added to.

What PHP version is your free host using? 

1 hour ago, ProAvia said:

Basically, yes. But local.config.php also contains important info on how to connect to your database. That info should not be in app.config.php. The app.config.php file is a base file and should not be changed or added to.

What PHP version is your free host using? 

The thing is that my local.config.php is completely empty. However, I’ve checked app.config.php for DB info etc and  it’s definitely not in there. Where could it be? I am running PHP 5.5.

• Administrators

There is no telling - especially with you being on a free host. You would be better served installing phpVMS locally on your computer using Wamp or Xxamp. This would also allow complete control over what PHP version you use with phpVMS 5.5.2

As I mentioned previously, if local.config is empty, your installation is compromised. And chances of everything working as they should are slim. Also, going to paid hosting later will require extra work in bringing your present install up to the necessary standards to make it work correctly.

5 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

There is no telling - especially with you being on a free host. You would be better served installing phpVMS locally on your computer using Wamp or Xxamp. This would also allow complete control over what PHP version you use with phpVMS 5.5.2

As I mentioned previously, if local.config is empty, your installation is compromised. And chances of everything working as they should are slim. Also, going to paid hosting later will require extra work in bringing your present install up to the necessary standards to make it work correctly.

So what do you suggest I do?

• Administrators

Well, you were able to upload the files to the free host, so you should be able to download them too. But first you need to install Wamp or Xxamp and get PHP, MySQL and Apache install to one or the other. Then do a fresh install of phpVMS 5.5.2 to whichever local server program (Wamp or Xxamp) and be sure it is functioning properly. Then you can install the module, template and skin files from your present online install.

But I am of the mind that you start totally fresh as you have zero idea of what else is compromised with the free host install.

And don't forget that you should have a front end that visitors can access to see what you have to offer. This would be in addition to the crewcenter type page you presently display on your free hosting site. Chances of others joining a VA when all they can see is a sign on page are very slim.

7 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

Well, you were able to upload the files to the free host, so you should be able to download them too. But first you need to install Wamp or Xxamp and get PHP, MySQL and Apache install to one or the other. Then do a fresh install of phpVMS 5.5.2 to whichever local server program (Wamp or Xxamp) and be sure it is functioning properly. Then you can install the module, template and skin files from your present online install.

But I am of the mind that you start totally fresh as you have zero idea of what else is compromised with the free host install.

And don't forget that you should have a front end that visitors can access to see what you have to offer. This would be in addition to the crewcenter type page you presently display on your free hosting site. Chances of others joining a VA when all they can see is a sign on page are very slim.

Alright, I think that I will start afresh. Many thanks.