Are we doing the right thing

Dougjuk

Hi all,

We are very new to this system, our current system is on VAM which is now unsupported by the original developer.  So we were looking to build a new site to move too over the next few months.

I setup hosting and installed phpVMS, I used the vs7 from the developer and also purchased the Acars module.

I have now had a few comments saying that we should use phpVMS v5 as that is the current software.  

Most of you have been around here for a while so should we push on with 7 or drop back to 5.

best wishes

Doug

10 hours ago, ProAvia said:

The ACARS presently being developed by the developer of phpVMS v7 will not work correctly with V5 at this point in time. As of today, there are no plans to make vmsACARS compatible with phpVMS v5.

Thanks for that bit of information, that is helpful.  Its just difficult making a decision when you don't know the facts, do we go back and build around the older version or push on with v7.  We are seeing a few bugs at the moment but in the main it seems to run fine.

Many thanks

Doug

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Dougjuk said:

Thanks for that bit of information, that is helpful.  Its just difficult making a decision when you don't know the facts, do we go back and build around the older version or push on with v7.  We are seeing a few bugs at the moment but in the main it seems to run fine.

Many thanks

Doug

Do realize the v7 is still in beta testing. The main features are pretty much set, but it still needs some tweaking as bugs show up. Read the docs - especially the conversion process from previous version to v7. 

Another determination is what versions of PHP and MySQL/MariaDB are available through your chosen host. And how long those will be available. See the following link for previous version requirements:

52 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

Do realize the v7 is still in beta testing. The main features are pretty much set, but it still needs some tweaking as bugs show up. Read the docs - especially the conversion process from previous version to v7. 

Another determination is what versions of PHP and MySQL/MariaDB are available through your chosen host. And how long those will be available. See the following link for previous version requirements:

Thanks for response. 

We were not aware of the situation regarding this software and just ordered hosting and downloaded what we thought was available.  The developer was kind enough to send me a link to the current version. 

We have a site on older software (VAM) which we plan to move from by probably March next year, so we have continued to build and test V7 and ride out some of the issues.

The hosting is with phpVMS so I just went with what came with V7 and so far it seems to be ok.

We are on a very steep learning curve and for now will see what happens.

I will still research what you have linked to me, however one of the reason for moving is that our current system is also unsupported by its developer, in fact he has stopped any development so the is little or no future with that system.

All the best

Doug

• Administrators

Hosting is with vmshost? If so, they presently support all versions of PHP required for any version of phpVMS.

phpVMS v7 will be supported for some time to come. Previously versions will still work, but no further development will take place by the original developer. At some point, previous versions may experience issues and/or stop working due to advances in versions of PHP and MySQL/MariaDB.

If you are starting with phpVMS from scratch, my personally opinion is to start with V7. Coming from another platform will present challenges as the data available won't be the same.

11 hours ago, ProAvia said:

Hosting is with vmshost? If so, they presently support all versions of PHP required for any version of phpVMS.

phpVMS v7 will be supported for some time to come. Previously versions will still work, but no further development will take place by the original developer. At some point, previous versions may experience issues and/or stop working due to advances in versions of PHP and MySQL/MariaDB.

If you are starting with phpVMS from scratch, my personally opinion is to start with V7. Coming from another platform will present challenges as the data available won't be the same.

Thankyou, I have shared your message with Chris, we are going to keep going and feed back to the developer when needed.

I am enjoying working on this especially with the lockdown in force, it keeps me busy.  

Best wishes

Doug

• 1 month later...

Well several months on the site is going well with help from the guys on here and on discord.  I have learnt a lot with the help and the site is more or less ready for use by the pilots.

My wish would be to have a full blown statistics page as well as being able to put up a selection of images around the site.

So Happy holidays to all and lets hope for a much better 2021.

1692948527_Screenshot2020-12-23at16_14_05.jpeg.fbc43e5a034d43a34b1e2b2053f4f1f6.jpeg

regards

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Same situation here for the same reasons. What we have done is take our VA to wordpress years ago and run "the guts" inside that framework, but with links outside to the ops side. We are presently also using VAM, which you have said is no longer supported. I've got PHPVMS installed and working through it. We have higher hopes that this is still being developed on. Nice job so far!!

Thanks for this thread. Will be following.

@Doug, cyberair!!!!! That was the first VA I ever flew for. :) Nice to see you still around!!!!

Hi,

Hope you get on ok, today I finished a move of the forum to the same hosting as the website.  We had a meeting and decided that we are now going live with phpVMS v7 with Acars.  VAM is on another hosting site with only a few weeks left.

I started the move in early November and with help from the guys on here and Discord I have been able to deliver a reasonably good working solution.

I am still making small changed to improve the look etc.

The widgets in the download section are really good and enabled some great results, that and being able to use a module.

So yes we did the right thing and we are excited for the future of the version.

As for Cyberair, well I was very involved until a few years ago ended up at the EGLL hub captain.  I went away from flight sims for various reasons until lockdown back last year. Purchased X-plane and got into the Zibo 737 then I got talked back into Cyberair and ended up working on this website and forum.

It has kept me sane.

As I said hope all goes well for you.

regards

Doug 

Edited by Dougjuk