Characterset Problem?

CrashGordon

Before 2.1.930, I was able to desplay a number of different languages. With .930 and .934, I can't.

For example, this used to be Greek.

¸Î½Î¹ÎºÎ® Î¥ÀηÃÂεÃία ÃŽ ληÃÂοÆοÃÂιÎν

What happened?

I lifted that from the pull down menu of a custom field in the pirep form.

But this is what the name of SBGL looks like in pilots.

Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport

There are certain characters that seem to get mangled.

By any chance were the new skins modified to be font-specific (or a different font from pre-930)?

• Administrators

I lifted that from the pull down menu of a custom field in the pirep form.

But this is what the name of SBGL looks like in pilots.

Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport

There are certain characters that seem to get mangled.

By any chance were the new skins modified to be font-specific (or a different font from pre-930)?

Nothing from 930, there was a change made in the main 2.1 release for 924 I believe, which just instructs MySQL to accept different charsets. But no other changes having to do with that. Maybe your browser's charset changed?

Nothing from 930, there was a change made in the main 2.1 release for 924 I believe, which just instructs MySQL to accept different charsets. But no other changes having to do with that. Maybe your browser's charset changed?

Don't think so, but I'll ask one of my pilots to confirm if he sees the same thing.

I used a different browser with the same results.

Is there a character encoding meta tag in your template?

I found this in my local.config.php

# Page encoding options

Config::Set('PAGE_ENCODING', 'ISO-8859-1');

On a hunch, I set it UTF-8. that cured the name of SBGL in pilots, but not in the pirep dropdown.

There are 3 occurances of ISO-8859-1 in the whole site.

php.jpg

Should these be changed?

It was ISO-8859-1. It is now UTF-8.

While rummaging around, I noticed this in app.config.php.

# Page encoding options
Config::Set('PAGE_ENCODING', 'UTF-8');
Config::Set('DB_CHARSET_NAME', 'utf8');

Since I'm ignorant about such things, I didn't attempt to chance the second line in local.config.php, but since it is the only instance where there is no hypen in utf-8, I figured I'd ask if that is the way it should be.

• Administrators

Right, there's no hyphen in the DB_CHARSET_NAME. That one's fine. I wouldn't mess with that one at all.

The PAGE_ENCODING you can override in local.config but as long as that's correct... for greek it might not be UTF-8, maybe you have to use a latin charset? I'm not sure TBH

• Administrators

I think I found a solution. I'll just do everything in English. Several items in other languages added some interest, but it is not essential.

I've taken enough of your time with this.

It's not a problem. Exactly what page were you having a problem on? Just a single drop down?

The manual pirep page. I added a custom dropdown so the pilot could enter which of our clients, the flight was done for. As the clients are international, I thought it would be interesting to identify them in their own language, but French, German, Spanish, Greek and Portugese, etc., all get mangled. If I go to admin and try to edit them, they are mangled there, as well.

Here is the list from the field entries.

Select Country/Agency,Algeria Département du Renseignement et de la Sécurité ,Argentina Secretaría de Inteligencia,Australia Australian Secret Intelligence Service,Canada Canadian Security Intelligence Service,Canada Canada Border Services Agency,Chile Agencia Nacional de Inteligencia,Egypt Al-Mukhabarat al-'Ammah,France Direction Générale de la Sécurité Extérieure,Georgia Foreign Intelligence Service,Germany Bundesamt für Verfas,Greece Εθνική ÃŽÂ¥Ã€Î·ÃÂεÃία ÃŽ ληÃÂοÆοÃÂιÎν,Italy Agenzia Informazioni e Sicurezza Esterna,Japan Cabinet Intelligence and Research Office,Jordan Da’irat al-Mukhabarat al-’Ammah,Korea National Intelligence Service,Latvia Satversmes aizsardzÄ«bas birojs,Lithuania Valstybes Saugumo Departamentas,Morocco Direction de la Surveillance du Territoire,New Zealand Security Intelligence Service,Poland Agencja Wywiadu,Romania External Intelligence Service,Saudi Arabia Al Mukhabarat Al A'amah,South Africa National Intelligence Agency,Spain Centro Nacional de Inteligencia,Taiwan National Security Bureau,Ukraine Holovne Upravlinnya Rozvidky,United Kingdom Secret Intelligence Service,United Kingdom Security Service,United States Central Intelligence Agency,United States Dept. of Homeland Security,Venezuela Dirección de los Servicios de Inteligencia y Prevención

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve the same problem

Today I made a completly new Beta install Version 2.1.935.

I changed the charakter set in the local.config.php to utf-8 for german öö üü ää ßß test.

Checked the app.config.php and it should be OK.

Checked my localhost: utf8_general_ci

...and the result in the News:

phpvms_umlaute.jpg

• Administrators

I´ve the same problem

Today I made a completly new Beta install Version 2.1.935.

I changed the charakter set in the local.config.php to utf-8 for german öö üü ää ßß test.

Checked the app.config.php and it should be OK.

Checked my localhost: utf8_general_ci

...and the result in the News:

phpvms_umlaute.jpg

Which charset did you change? If you change it back to the default, what happens?

Hi Nabeel :-)

it is a truely new basic install with creating a new database too.

The only change I made was to modify:

local.config.php:

# Page encoding options

and the topbanner.jpg. Nothing else has happend.

I switched back to: Config::Set('PAGE_ENCODING', 'ISO-8859-1');

The result: (and something has swapped... ;-)

phpvms_umlaute1.jpg

After default modifying, the entries in the app.config.php are:

# Page encoding options

Wait, I forgot...

I changed in the admin center the Date Format to d/m/Y

Could it be, that the font "Segoe UI" in combination with my good old WindowsXP makes these problems?

Wikipedia:

The Segoe UI font family can be obtained as part of Microsoft Office 2007 or Windows Vista. Certain Segoe fonts, but not Segoe UI, were included in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, replacing Trebuchet MS.

Segoe UI is installed into Windows XP if the user installs Windows Live Messenger, or Windows Live Mail, which are available as free downloads. Microsoft Word Viewer and Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007 install certain Segoe fonts, but not Segoe UI.

I don´t have this font in my WindowsXP.

rock on... chris

---------------------------------------------

- I´ve installed Segoe UI

- changed to Config::Set('PAGE_ENCODING', 'UTF-8');

- made several test with the problem characters - nearly all is looking good! Only the editor for the news don´t work.

It´s 07:15AM good night :-)

• 2 months later...
Guest lorathon

I have the following set in local.config

Airport name set to

utf8_unicode_ci

in phpAdmin

When inserting an airport through the admin page I get the correct name in the admin side table and also inserted into the DB. But the name is messed up on the front end.

Admin Name - Berlin Schönefeld Airport

DB Name - Berlin Schönefeld Airport

Front End - Berlin Schönefeld Airport

When I set the following in local

Config::Set('DB_CHARSET_NAME', '');

Admin Name - (blank unless I press edit) - Berlin Sch�nefeld Airport

If I change the airport name with the above still set in local.config I get the following

Admin Name - Berlin Schönefeld Airport

I clear the cache before looking and after changing. Not sure what is happening but there must be some mismatch going on.

• Administrators

The encoding on the front-end is probably wrong then. Get it working right in the DB, then in Firefox, goto View -> Character encoding, and cycle through and see which ones work, then use that encoding in the layout template