env.php I screwed up

atrdriver

I was attempting to edit my env.php file to set up my mail hosts and I screwed up the file.  And like an IDIOT i didn't make a backup of it before I edited it.  Yes indeed, I am kicking myself.  Anyway, how can I get it back?  If I erase it will it be rebuilt, or will I have to do a re-install?  Thanks

john croft

18 hours ago, atrdriver said:

I was attempting to edit my env.php file to set up my mail hosts and I screwed up the file.  And like an IDIOT i didn't make a backup of it before I edited it.  Yes indeed, I am kicking myself.  Anyway, how can I get it back?  If I erase it will it be rebuilt, or will I have to do a re-install?  Thanks

john croft

If you have any backup at your hosting service try getting the file from there (env.php is not changed much, so any old backup will be fine), if not you may need to re-install to get a new env.php 'cause when it is deleted there is no pre-defined way to build it back (with previous data it had in it).

What you can do, as a workaround, create a new database first, install latest dev by using that new empty database. Finish the install, edit your new env.php and put old database details to that file. At least you will have your old data back.