Bots still registering even with recaptcha

Vetrro

Hello, 

If anyone may be able to help with this issue then that would be greatly appreciated. So as for the issue we have Recaptcha working but some bots/spam users keep registering with the same email types from russia.

Emails that keep signing up: 
@dizaer.ru

@yandex.com

Ive also attached an image showing that our recaptcha is indeed working, but all the green passes in the image are the spambots. So these bots are either able to get through the tests or they are not actually bots and its people just spamming the site. Is there any way to block specific emails from signing up to mitigate the problem.

Also added in an image of some of the accounts in question from our site.

Again any help would be great and if anyone needs more information let me know :)

recaptcha chart.png

2dee4605d47d98babe97e4db64ae4e1a.png

Edited by Vetrro

• Administrators

Captcha version?

phpVMS version?

PHP version?

MySQL or MariaDB version?

I believe you can block an IP range. You need to look at your server stats to find the IP addresses associated with these registrations.

Captcha v2 on highest security setting (Selecting pictures tests)

phpVMS Version: 7.0.0-beta.4 (Not actually sure if this is the latest but this is the latest version I see on github)

PHP Version: 7.3

MariaDB: 10.3.29

As for blocking IP ranges where would that be done that would be something I have not done before so not sure where to look for that. If I am able to block IP addresses though that would probably solve the issue as all of those users are from the same IP

Edited by Vetrro

• Administrators

All phpVMS 7 posts go in the phpVMS 7 forum section, not in the v2, v5 section. I will move this post.

phpVMS v7 beta 4 is quite old and out of date. Join the phpVMS Discord (see link in menu at top of page) and look in the releases channel for the latest dev build. You aren't going to get much support for beta 4 at this point.

There may be a way to block IP addresses or ranges of addresses in your hosting panel (cPanel) or you may be able to find a way to use '.htaccess' or 'php.ini' files. Suggest you check with your host to see which is the preferred method.

Hi,

I have been going into my cPanel on hosting and blocking ranges of IP addresses, I used to block one at a time but they still kept coming.  But blocking ranges has had a big effect reducing the amount of them.

I can always tell because they populate the IVAO snd VATSIM fields with rubbish.

regards

Doug

Alright, I have joined the discord and have also found the ip blocking from our host. Thanks for the help guys and also thanks for mentioning the discord I had no idea I was missing updates and thought it just wasn't updated in awhile since I was using Github releases.  :)

• Like 1