Installation problem

IvanSt

First of all, I want to apologize because English is not my native language, so it is possible that I did not understand some of the solutions that already exists.
We have been using the phpvms classic for a long time and we want to upgrade to the newer phpvms 7. My knowledge of php and hosting setup is as basic. I downloaded the dev version of the site from github, created a database with all the privileges, set the php version in cpanel to version 7, later I tried other newer versions php but I can't manage to start the installation. I tried to adjust VHost and still without success, I know I'm definitely missing something but I don't know what.

We have linux hosting with cpanel version 102.0.18

Database server
Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
Server type: MariaDB
Server connection: SSL is not being used Documentation
Server version: 10.3.27-MariaDB-log - MariaDB Server
Protocol version: 10
User: balkanfl@localhost
Server charset: cp1252 West European (latin1)

Web server
cpsrvd 11.102.0.18
Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 7.4.29
PHP extension: mysqliDocumentation curlDocumentation mbstringDocumentation
PHP version: 7.4.29

phpMyAdmin
Version information: 4.9.7

image_2022-06-13_092317394.png

This is always the latest development build : http://downloads.phpvms.net/phpvms-7.0.0-dev.tar.gz

Download it, but as ProAvia said, it needs at minimum php8.

So;

If you are on VPS you need to install php8 (or better 8.1) first, configure it if necessary.

If you are on SHARED HOSTING then you need to speak with your host about php8 (or better php8.1) availability.

VPS setup may be tricky (you need to do it yourself or may need some outside professional support) but SHARED HOSTING setup is simple and easy.

Just you need to follow https://docs.phpvms.net/installation/uploading this page OPTION 1 : Creating Subdomain part. It has pictures from CPanel and it will look similar in your setup too.

For an experienced user, creating subdomain, uploading files, setting up db and installing v7 takes max 10-15 minutes (most of the time less). For a starter it may take around 30 minutes by following the docs step by step with double checking everything.

Good luck, hope you can manage to install it

I have PHP 8.1 on my hosting which is also set as current. I just don’t know if anything extra from this below needs to be checked? I know it's definitely a small thing, but I can't find it. 

I cant really use OPTION 1 : Creating Subdomain because mu hosting doesn't let me. I tried option 2 but with no success.

image_2022-06-14_084805609.png

Edited by IvanSt

How can a hosting does not allow creating subdomains, it is free for ages (maybe more than 20 years or so)... Every hosting should allow creation and usage of subdomains as long as you have domain.

Anyway,

Option 2 is simple too, but if you can not make it work yourself,  getting some professional help may be required (from your hosting provider) as it may be tricky on some servers. 

But either way, Option 1 is the most used and simple / fast way to have v7 (under a subdomain, separate from your main page / landing page) but it is really not possible then you need use Option 2 of course.

I got you, some hosting companies place subdomains under the main "public_html" (which is odd but they do this)

• So try creating a submain first crew.balkanfly.net 
  • It's document root will be something like "/public_html/crew" at first.
  • Then at the screenshot you send, you will see it at subdomains section, click on the pen icon for the document root
  • Change it to "/public_html/crew/public"

If you can not do this on your own, just tell your hosting support to do that. What you need is to create a subdomain which has its own document root set as public (Option 1)

Then you can unpack the latest dev version in "/public_html/crew" folder.

Good luck

The problem was in my .htaccess 

[Thu Jun 16 16:26:45.208317 2022] [core:alert] [pid 1111651] [client 91.148.109.66:49352] /home/balkanfl/public_html/novi/.htaccess: Options not allowed here
[Thu Jun 16 16:26:45.208111 2022] [core:alert] [pid 1111651] [client 91.148.109.66:49352] /home/balkanfl/public_html/novi/.htaccess: Options not allowed here

I successfully install site, thank you very much for your time!

• Like 1