Quick ACARS Question

TAV1702

Long time no chit chat gents. Hope all is well! My first post back here in quite some time. Life has threw me a curve ball and I am ready to jump back in finally.

Just curious, is Paid ACARS (not nagging at all about that Nabeel deserves all he gets for his work) the only option thus far besides manual PIREPS? I hate to start a new Startup and pour cash into it to possibly fizzle out. I suppose that is where manual pireps come in handy but I have polled MANY virtual pilots over the years and most will not join a VA that accepts manual pireps. I am just tryin g to examine all possibilities and and what ifs and come up with a solid game plan before I just start tossing together a website and hoping for the best. No plan is a failed plan. And in the end if it don't make any sense for me, it just won't make any sense for me and I'll keep flying with my current VA that I am semi retired from.

Anyhow, my grandson is wanting a new episode of Blaze and the Monster Machines get started. Yeah, I am that old ha ha!!   Take care all!

Simple explanation for both versions;

v2 = Forget about it :)

v5 = Some paid and free acars solutions, old backend with special server requirements, lots of old (and mostly not supported/updated) addons

v7 = Only one paid acars (vmsAcars), no free solutions, new backend with current server requirements, less addons (only 2 or 3 as far as I know)

Either way, good luck with that new va project.

Edited by DisposableHero
  • Like 1

Yeah I am discussing it with the boys now. It is just a bunch of us old timers 45 + year old guys who have been on a sim since early 90's and whenever. Those guys I may be able to get to file manual. Us old guys aren't to bad to satisfy.

Yeah V2 was dead in the water long ago. I wouldn't ponder it ever. v5, I know how to nurse it, I did it for years and years.  v7 may take me a few minutes to figure out and I may need a server upgrade. Mine don't go to php8 yet (unless I caught a recent upgrade I didn't know about).

:) Your group is like mine, all old timers (some newcomers joined us but we are still an oldies group), enjoying flight sim for 20+ years... We used v2 and v5 in the past, as pilots and staff of other VA's, then decided to have our own (to really free us from everything a tight VA related), started fresh with v7.

As you thought, it was not a big deal for us to manually filing pireps, then we decided to have vmsAcars (not because we are lazy, but because we wanted to support it and have some automation for our pireps at the same time). We are happy to have both (this is why I developed and shared some addons for v7)

Hope you find the right answer for your group and continue enjoying sim together with your friends ;)

Safe flights

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure if the fellas and I decide for me to build us a website and startup again, once it is rolling we will pony up the cash and pay it. i firmly believe v7 is 100% the way to go.

I have been here since Nabeel released The earliest release pretty much and watched him give support through and through day in and day out and release after release. The money he asks is well worth it 100% if not simply for the product but for the time he has invested into the flight sim community alone. Class act fella. 

• Like 1