Type Ratings

sgraypgh

I have noticed that if you restrict pilots to aircraft by rank and by type rating, aircraft subfleet without a type rating assigned won't show up. So can you only use one of these options unless you assign type rates to every aircraft? Then you would have to assign every pilot type ratings for every aircraft. Type ratings in the US are only necessary for aircraft over 12500 if I remember correctly. Thanks for any advice.

You can use both if you wish to or you can use only one of them... In either solution you need to manage your subfleets, no matter what their maximum takeoff weight is. You need to assign a rank or type rating (or both) to them according to your wishes about managing this.

And as far as I know, even a single engine piston (like lightweight Cessna 152) needs a type rating. Not a C152 type of course but you should hold something for SEP or MEP being used backwards.

Safe flights

The SE, ME, IR, CFI, CFII, and ATP are Pilot Ratings and are not Type Ratings. Type Ratings are aircraft specific that a pilot may have.

The issue I am having with the current setup is that if you don't assign a type rating to the subfleet and have the system checked for type rating, the flight won't show even if you include the aircraft in the rank settings.  I guess I was hoping that if no type rating is assigned, then the system wouldn't "require" one to see the flight even having the settings option on. The restrict to pilot rank works fine, but both together don't.

I will do some more testing to see if I can find a solution.

EDIT: I misspoke, the flight shows but then you can't select an aircraft in ACARS as no aircraft are available in the dropdown.

Edited by sgraypgh

As a professional aviator I am pretty aware of pilot and aircraft type ratings sir. Your country may not be issuing something for "Single Engine Piston" but there is something for it too and phpvms v7 is not designed only for FAA/US :)

Well, if you do not want to use type ratings then do not enable it... If you want to use it, then you need to assign type ratings too as I explained above. When you do not assign ranks to your subfleets and enable its setting, same thing happens too.

System checks what you are capable of. So as an example; You do have a B737-300/900 type rating assigned to your pilot, then he/she is ONLY allowed to use aircraft which requires that same type rating to operate.

Good luck and God speed.

While not a professional pilot, but a private pilot and in the airport industry for over 30 years, I understand the FAA rating system and not those outside of that.

It is not that I don't want to use type ratings, rather the opposite. I was just hoping not assigning a type rating to a subfleet would allow pilots to use that aircraft if within their rank assignment. So it seems like the only solution with using both rank with assigned aircraft and type ratings is to assign all aircraft some type rating (could be SE, ME, or just a single catch-all rating like pilot.) and then assign that type ratings to every pilot and all aircraft subfleet that don't have a true type rating requirement. You could then use aircraft assigned to ranks to filter based on the pilot's rank.

Appreciate your feedback and continued assistance.

Edited by sgraypgh

Well I am having a heck of a time with this issue.

I am using the following Settings:

• Only show/allow flights from their current location
  • Aircraft restricted to user type ratings
  • Only allow aircraft that are at the departure airport
  • Flight has a subfleet assigned and that subfleet has a type rating assigned.
  • Pilot isn't in that airline (but I don't have the setting to limit to pilots company) and doesn't have the type rating

The system is displaying all flights from the current location regardless of subfleet and type ratings. Is this correct behavior?

As expected, if I uncheck the show flights at current location, then all flights are displayed, again including ones that the pilot doesn't have aircraft type ratings.

Sorry to bring this up again and thanks in advance for any help. The type rating stuff just seems to be killing me.

PS: I have tried with using Rank for specific aircraft and the flights show as above.

Yes ;)

[short answer to your question, long answer follows below]

Don't get me wrong, but I think you are just enabling disabling settings and hoping things to happen as you wish... Where did you read that flight list follows that setting ? Probably nowhere, it is just your wish :) And even you tested it with ranks and get the same result. So neither subfleets nor ranks are killing you, it is simply lack of knowledge and experience about v7 systems confusing you, or your expectations do not match with what v7 offers (and both are normal, nothing wrong with any of them)

If you look closely to your admin settings area, you will see that "Restrict Aircraft By Type Ratings" (and the same for ranks are) listed under PIREPs section (and it is about aircraft as the name says), on the other hand "Only allow/show flights from current location" (like the one you left disabled) is listed under PILOTS (and it is about flights).

With the info above and your current test, one can easily say that "Flight list is not limited according to user ranks (or type ratings)", as far as I remember this was discussed either in this forum or maybe in Discord, there may be a feature request about it at GitHub too (I am not sure about this).

Maybe someday in future, somebody implements that feature by adding new settings to PILOTS section something like "Restrict Flights By Type Ratings" / "Restrict Flights By Rank" and then you can enable them to get your desired result. Or maybe that someone can use the settings at PIREPs section to achieve that goal (I do prefer having them separated though).

Hope this help and clears your mind a little bit.

As I wrote before, good luck and God speed ;)

Your explanation was very helpful and now makes perfect sense. I was completely misunderstanding the connection, but certainly do now, so thank you very much.

There are some features I was thinking would be implemented, but it doesn't seem they are and that's fine. I can certainly live with all of the great features you have already provided.

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt.

No problem, we all had the same feeling back in time :)

There is a place at GitHub for "Feature Requests", if anything comes to your mind and if this is not a bug somewhere you are always welcome to create new request.

image.thumb.png.fc882a8de92ee3661fa10c58173e77e8.png

And if this is good for all users, it gets attention. Not everything is implemented in and response is not lightning fast but it gets considered, been discussed with other users etc most of the time ;) So use it please, otherwise your ideas will remain in your mind or get lost in the forum/discord channels etc.

Safe flights