phpVMS 5.5.2.72 install issue

SeekanDStroy

Did you tried installing on php7.3 ?

I do not think that there are plans for a specific php version, maybe with some fixes v5.x series can run on php7.3 and php7.4 but not php8. So a year later, or max two years there will be less than limited support for old php versions. You may need to seek for a VPS (in which you can install anything you need and it will be fully under your control)

If you need to use v5.x of course, if not you may check phpVMS v7.x series (at least it runs on recent software and hardware, still being developed and supported)

3 hours ago, DisposableHero said:

Did you tried installing on php7.3 ?

I do not think that there are plans for a specific php version, maybe with some fixes v5.x series can run on php7.3 and php7.4 but not php8. So a year later, or max two years there will be less than limited support for old php versions. You may need to seek for a VPS (in which you can install anything you need and it will be fully under your control)

If you need to use v5.x of course, if not you may check phpVMS v7.x series (at least it runs on recent software and hardware, still being developed and supported)

PHP 7.3 causes issues with installs. See attached images.

I already have hosting and do not really want to pursue a VPS. My thing is I'm not a software guy, nor do I have anyone that is, so controlling that is well beyond my comprehension.

My issue with v7 is the whole subfleet thing. It's great if you're simulating one airline, which I sadly am not. Not to mention all of my schedules (about 17 airlines worth), are currently formatted for v5. In addition, the lack of SmartCARS support is a complete deal breaker. However, if I can get v7 to cooperate for me, I 100% plan on using the disposable theme.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 175146.png

Screenshot 2023-03-12 175033.png

• Administrators

If your only options are PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.3 - set PHP 5.6 and install phpVMS 5.5.2 (not 5.5.2.72).

As stated in the readme for phpVMS 5.5.2.72, it works on PHP 7.2 and possibly 7.0 and 7.1 - As you have found, it will NOT install/work correctly on PHP 7.3 or higher.

Does your host offer PHP 8.0 or 8.1 by chance? If so, use phpVMS v7.

phpVMS 2.x and 5.x are legacy and are not receiving any further updates to work with newer PHP or MySQL/MariaDB versions.

Is GoDaddy your hosting company? If so, maybe they can help you with a newer version of PHP or move you to a different server that will support phpVMS v7 and PHP 8.1

25 minutes ago, ProAvia said:

If your only options are PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.3 - set PHP 5.6 and install phpVMS 5.5.2 (not 5.5.2.72).

As stated in the readme for phpVMS 5.5.2.72, it works on PHP 7.2 and possibly 7.0 and 7.1 - As you have found, it will NOT install/work correctly on PHP 7.3 or higher.

Does your host offer PHP 8.0 or 8.1 by chance? If so, use phpVMS v7.

phpVMS 2.x and 5.x are legacy and are not receiving any further updates to work with newer PHP or MySQL/MariaDB versions.

Is GoDaddy your hosting company? If so, maybe they can help you with a newer version of PHP or move you to a different server that will support phpVMS v7 and PHP 8.1

Yeah, it's GoDaddy. I have access to 8.0 and 8.1, but again, due to logistical issues, I'm not considering phpvms v7; only as an emergency would I use it.

• Administrators

Logistical issues? What might that be?

If that logistical issue is smartCARS, I understand the money investment. But at some point, it's time to cut your losses (and frustration) and move forward.

I don't foresee them releasing (at a cost to all again) smartCARS 3 anytime soon.

What MySQL or MariaDB version are you using?

You will find issues using phpVMS 5.x with any MySQL above 5.7.4 and MariaDB 10.2 and above.

With shared hosts updating to newer PHP and MySQL/MariaDB versions, more issues will continue to crop up. phpVMS v7 and vmsACARS are the best options.

Well, considering v7 can support more than one airline (I have 26 in my setup) and their schedules and their fleet I do not think that this will be an issue.

Regarding admin work (adjusting those schedules to reflect proper airlines / fleet), yes you need to work on that. No one can do it for you, this is a management task to be done. We all did it at some point, either from upgrading from v5 or creating new v7 installs. This is unavoidable at all.

For smartCars I do fully agree with @ProAvia (also I do agree on switching to php5.6 too) it is a choice you need to make at some point, either now or later... Again no one can help you on that :)

Good luck with v5.x and install

• 1 month later...

Never rely on solely one acars platform as some pilots don't want to use it, others want to use another acars system. The acars system Nabeel has made is much better in my view then smartcars. smartcars V3 is in development, and I heard it is in beta now which you can sign up to. V7 is much better, and you will find it hard to keep running your VA on phpvms v5.5.2 as hosts start to remove support for older php versions and mysql databases get upgraded, and with the newer mysql databases you get strict mode which breaks phpvms v5.5.2/5.5.2.72 unless you either get strict mode turned off (hosts are hesitant in doing so due to security) or alter the code to ignore the errors that stop data being passed into the database.