User selectable skins

TheBulk

Hi all,

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I wanted to know if it is possible to have a default skin for phpvms to load and then in each users profile section of the site under the profile options heading have a drop down box so they can select a skin and save it so that it becomes their fav skin and loads when ever they log in without affecting the skin other users see.

An example of what I am trying to say is they user theme selection many forums use.

Any thoughts on the idea would be great

Cheers

Jonny

• Like 1

Haha, I am most willing to share, The system I used doesn't work 100% because any core redirects reset the template, but I'll go ahead and share anyways;

My Way:

In /core/codon.config.php

I added to the top (before anything, but within the PHP tags):

if(isset($_GET['template']) && $_GET['template'] != '')
{
define('CURRENT_SKIN',$_GET['template']);
}

The Ideal Way:

The Ideal way to do this for pilots would be to tweak that code to read a cookie that would have to be set elsewhere, but if you set it (Excellent Tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/php/func_http_setcookie.asp) you could then call it with:

$_COOKIE['template']

instead of

$_GET['template']

If you guys want, I can try and play around with this and see if I can get an easy way to get this to work.. problem is when you update it'll get overwritten.

Thanks for sharing it with us Lorenzo, I will try to integrate it to our site. Maybe we could develop it and get a fully working solution and then present it on here so that it might be adde into future releases of phpvms.

I would love you to have a go at trying to create something Lorenzo if you are happy to do so.

Thanks again Lorenzo and thanks Tom for your post.

Alrighty!

I've got it, was actually easier than I thought:

In /core/codeon.config.php add the following to the top (inside the PHP tags):

session_start();

if(isset($_GET['template']) && $_GET['template'] != ''){
$_SESSION['template'] = $_GET['template'];
define('CURRENT_SKIN',$_GET['template']);
}

if(isset($_SESSION['template']) && $_SESSION['template'] != '')
{
define('CURRENT_SKIN',$_SESSION['template']);
}

Now, the only thing YOU have to do is add a dropdown or links to change the skin. To change the skin, just link it to something like this:

Any page, just append ?template=TEMPLATEFOLDERNAME and it will set the skin.

Note however that if someone tries to become a smartypants, and put in a skin that doesn't exist, they'll get a blank page.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...