Using Awards for aircraft classification?

brreclark

Part of what I am working one right now, aside from the massive task of entering schedules, is deciding how to allocate folks into aircraft. I'm definitely not a fan of hours based systems, as (and what follows is my personal opinion, mind you) I think that total time alone can dictate if you are capable of handling an aircraft. It may be a component of my final plan, but it won't be the only part. I thought of using awards, given upon completion of a checkride, as a method of giving folks type ratings. It allows me to know who has what ratings, and would give the pilot a way of showing their skills. Of course this turns into more work, working with several different airlines with highly diverse fleets (Delta and American being my largest offenders). Now I might have to keep a separate list of who has what, or maybe code up something to scrape data out of the DB to display it, but has anyone else tried the same?

• Administrators

Well awards aren't tied to aircraft in anyway. Right now, aircraft are just tied to schedules. But another possibility is manually doing rankings based on tests (there is an addon for tests), and you can tie aircraft to a certain rank.

Well awards aren't tied to aircraft in anyway. Right now, aircraft are just tied to schedules. But another possibility is manually doing rankings based on tests (there is an addon for tests), and you can tie aircraft to a certain rank.

That could work, but I'm not sure at this point if I want to group aircraft together (which can be awfully subjective) or do the ratings on an individual basis. I'm definitely learning towards hours having to do something with it. I don't want every new hire with 0 hours, or even 15-25 hours, to automatically be able to request a 747 checkride. No new hire walks into a major airline and gets put out on the 747 line either.

I guess as I start to move into that phase of development soon I can ponder over that a little more. I'm just starting to decide on how that part of the operation works. I'm trying to tread the fine line between keeping some realism, but also making things 'newbie' friendly.

• Administrators

I think what might help is getting familiar with how phpVMS works, there are topics about ranks being tied to aircraft, the docs too. And play around with the system a bit, I think that will make it clearer.