SMF forum

CPC900

Um, yeah. That is easier said than done though. I will let you know if I ever figure it out. ;)

Yeah Exactly. I have butchering my template all night to try and get it ready to integrate the forum. I hope this time I get it right.

My problem is I am a phpBB person. I can edit them in my sleep, but when someone says go to smf and edit the proper page, that is kind of a blank answer for me. That is where my problem is at. I know nothing about SMF at all. I think sometimes people forget that we do not know everything there is to know about everything. :D We will figure it out one way or the other CPC900. Fear not man. B)

**Disclaimer**

Please view the text below my sig banner.

No it is not. THe forum you see is Simpilot's forum he developed. I do have a SMF forum but it is not visible to any of my pilots or public. There are arguments on my site wether or not to replace the current forum with SMF or leave it alone. I am just working on the SMF one on the side.

There are some tweaks that are done to mine that are not visible to guests. I have added images and a few other goodies to it. It is not very flexible, but all around, it works a treat.

I am still working on that SMF forum. I had no time last night. I spent all afternoon and evening customizing that ObsessBlue skin some more. Am building a brand new pilot center right now. As soon as I get that done, I will work on the forum integration a bit more. Unless Simpilot chimes in first.

• Administrators

I find it easiest to use the default forum theme as a template. You can adjust the page from two layout files and one css file really. Make a copy of the default theme folder and rename it. then start messing with the style.css file and the index.template.php file, those are the two main layout files. Be sure to change the css link in the header of the index.template.php file. You will also make use of the BoardIndex.template.php file, this is the layout for the forum boards themselves.

You can also create a new template completely but there is a lot of code that needs to be oncluded in the template for all the functions of the board to work correctly. I think I have seen a boiler plate clean template for smf 1.1.11 somewhere in their forums. Might want to search for that as well.

If you run into any blockades, let me know I will try to help you out.

One other trick is to find a template you like for smf and then adapt it to phpvms, that is much quicker as well.

• Administrators

@TAV - No worries, it was late for me and got a little lost, happens often to old guys like me :huh:

Let me know if you guys need some help with a smf template, I am getting my feet back on the ground again and have some time to do things again, even more so next week.

I can't figure this out. Getting frustrated trying to understand the smf forums. I was here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=145838.0

could not make that work. I guess I am just getting overblown with data. My logic is simple......Can I not just add in header data to the "index_template.php" file of smf. I find the more I read, the more stupid it makes me. I need a break. Be back later. :blink:

Hey CPC900 what template are you using? Is it your own or a premade?

I am using Obsess Blue and having a hell of a time trying to get it right. I have got it to work a couple of times like I said before and all I am accomplishing is making things look real bad.

;)

I can't remember where I started with a template. It was not one of the ones on here. I think it is the one used as a sample on the original traing videos for phpvms. Will take a look when I get home. Regardless, it has changed a lot since the early days. :)