The future of phpVMS

Nabeel

• Administrators

Recently, the latest version of phpVMS was released. With this new version, there have been over 120 installs, bringing the total install base to over 250 VAs. While not all are active, most have deployment plans for the next 4-6 months.

This all brings the future plans of phpVMS to a head. Now that there are financials, this beings the next stage - a virtual airline economy. Designs are underway, to link every phpVMS install to a central stage - bringing everyone's profits, finances, passengers, loads, all into account, to a central area for ranks and more, to build a virtual airline industry. This is has all begun in the planning stage, and details are being worked out, but, I envision everyone's ACARS flights will show on a map; pending departures and arrivals will be shown, depending on everyone's schedule's, etc, VA registrations, rankings, eventually leading to virtual stocks and market worth. phpVMS has been designed MVC from the ground up, allowing easy export of data, and easy collection of this massive amount of data.

For those not using phpVMS, but some other system, don't worry. Everything is XML-SOAP format, so you can still participate in this economy, via an API which can link into your own custom VA system.

Thanks for using and checking out phpVMS, which now truly is, the best virtual airline solution available!

Hi Nabeel,

Does this mean, if I understood it well, part of the website (a virtual ailines) going to be webbased and the other part in control of the owners?

And the other question (probably a bold one, I guess,  since no one replied sofar) is phpVMS gradually going to shy away from freeware world? I am sure this is probably the question in the head of many of us. Where ever it goes I will support the idea.

Thanks for evey bit of time you invested to give this great software.

Ermias

• Administrators

It will remain free, though to participate there might be a small one-time fee, I haven't decided yet, and it depends really on the development process. I think donations are probably still the best way to go, but we'll see what server costs, etc amount to.

The software will remain free though.

It will remain web-based, basically there will be communication between the individual installs and the master server, it'll be transparent. Just the VA owner will have to register, and turn this functionality on with an API key which will be assigned to them on registration.

I have a question regarding this possible airline economy. Now, will there be plans to integrate other money systems? For example, mine is in Nepalese Rupees. If someone else has US Dollars, Austrailian Dollars, and British Pounds... it is going to get nuts. Not to mention there are constantly changing exchange rates to further complicate standardization.

actualy nice to hear that you are planing to implement data connection with other CMS systems, if I understood your message right. I already was thinking about porting of your code to use it on Jumla or any other CMS. Most of VAs are using well developed web pages and it is big problem to switch to phpVMC.

My suggestions for future would be:

- VA should have limited ammount of aircrafts

- pilot and aircraft locantion should be changed after flight

- pilot should be able to choose only flights wich are from current his location and shoud be able to fly aircraft wich is located in same location.

- random or some AI-economy model based generation of PAX and cargo qty.

I had more ideas but forgot them now :) but sure will post later.

as posibilities of phpVMS are growing and pirep systems are limited with functionality, I gues we will need to improove this part. I'm even thinking about posibility to write own module for FSacars as I'm doubt to see FSAcars v5 soon. I'm looking for pilot's job quality control features and hope some day phpVMS will have such ones.

phpVMS is implementig features which I searched long time and wanted to program by myself. Good luck to you.

• Administrators

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm not 'integrating' with other CMSs, just integrating every phpVMS install with a central location.

I'll consider some of your suggestions, but this:

- random or some AI-economy model based generation of PAX and cargo qty.

Is going to be somewhat included/controlled by this central service

• 4 weeks later...

one more idea/request - would be reasonable to implement type ratings - SEP, MEP, JET and so on. they should be configurable and related to aircrafts database - if pilot has rating for SEP les than 5000 lbs MTOW, then he should be able to fly cessna's or piper cubs only