HTML 5 Compatibility & Implenting into phpVMS

AFVA | Mitchell

I was watching some stuff on the GoogleDevelopers channel and fell in love with HTML5. But I have a few questions because I have chosen to use HTML 5 to build my virtual airlines new site.

1. What browser (and browser versions) support HTML 5 + CSS 3?

2. Would it be hard to implement it into phpVMS?

3. (Off Topic) When is IE 9 being released?

Thanks,

Mitch

I am currently using Firefox 4.0 BETA and HTML 5 does work...mostly but google chrome i have found works best. Those are the 2 browsers that I have found compatible and IE9 should be compatible with it.

The reason I want to use HTML 5 to built this new site is because my very fussy CEO wants a very high quality with a good UI, most of the features I need are in HTML 5.

At the moment HTML5 is only worth playing with, don't even bother considering it as your website code. People are still using IE6, so life will be more difficult for yourself as you'll have to hack it for all the current browsers and then IE6... That is if you want people to use your website...

If you want more fancy features, learn current technologies better, its all possible :)

Oh and answering your second question, yes. phpVMS is all done in php, your HTML5 skin will just work around that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

At the moment HTML5 is only worth playing with, don't even bother considering it as your website code. People are still using IE6, so life will be more difficult for yourself as you'll have to hack it for all the current browsers and then IE6... That is if you want people to use your website...

If you want more fancy features, learn current technologies better, its all possible :)

Oh and answering your second question, yes. phpVMS is all done in php, your HTML5 skin will just work around that.

thanks tom. I'll consider it. But i don't give a damn to people are using IE6. They need to upgrade.

I'll start using HTML5.........Soon.

I am sorry but if you say it like that, you will loose a lot of pilots, and potential pilots. People upgrade when they want to upgrade, also they get the upgrade at different times, not all at the same time. Better hold off until more people have compatible browsers before you use html5.

• Moderators

I think its important to maintain backward compatibility while enhancing new technology, its a careful balance and sometimes a trade off but after all the more platforms you can support then the more pilots you will get, it took me about 3 months to get everything working across the most popular browsers, its a bit of a mine field.

I aim to make all my skins as compatible as possible, including the hideous IE.

If you're going to use HTML5 it's definitely worth having a little bit of php to determine which browser they're on and render a different set of HTML and CSS accordingly.

Developing HTML5-only at this stage and blaming your users for not upgrading yet is, as mentioned, only going to cause you to lose out.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Overall I believe there will not be many differences in the day-to-day with HTML 5, most changes will be in layers which are mostly invisible (JS). CSS changes... probably alot to be taken advantage of, but not completely

I threw out IE6 support long ago.