Virtual Airline List

My apologies for the screw-up of the March voting results. The numbers 1, 2 and 3 were lost in the mayhem our system caused during the counting of the votes on the first of April (not a joke). We were unfortunately not able to fix a script error in time and the results went bananas. We have however full confidence that the voting results for next month will run as smoothly as ever. We are still trying to improve our service of course and are always updating old routines.

Keep registering and voting folks! We have come a fair far way since our start in October last year, such a short period with some good results... 107 Virtual Airlines registered and counting. We are most definitely becoming the largest collection of active Virtual Airline names on the internet.

And yep, it's free. But like Vansers said, for a small fee you can have more features to show off your Virtual Airline with. What HUBs you fly from, add screenshots, have your banner stand out from the crowd with some 'eye-candy', what types of planes you use and add a youtube video for example. We added this feature to be able to pay for the server / bandwidth costs. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Is there something you can do about the horrific lag produced by your site? I enjoy the list and what not, but not the stress it puts on my equipment. Not to mention the script errors.

Yes, I'm sure everyone's going to look at me as the only one to complain, but I feel it needs to be said. This way, the site can be updated and modified to run better.

Good Job with it though and good Luck!

• Like 1

Is there something you can do about the horrific lag produced by your site? I enjoy the list and what not, but not the stress it puts on my equipment. Not to mention the script errors.

Yes, I'm sure everyone's going to look at me as the only one to complain, but I feel it needs to be said. This way, the site can be updated and modified to run better.

Well someone has to say it!

To be specific, it took me 32.63 seconds to finish loading the page on a decent internet connection. I would suggest Google Page Speed, but each time I try to enter va-list.com it appears to have given up trying to load the page

I hear ya. I hardly have any problems with this at all, maybe my location relative to the server might be better, I have no idea why it is slow for some of you guys. I will look into this the next week and see if I can get some upgrades installed here and there. :)

Thanks for pointing this out though, I was not aware of this. I could have seen this earlier, but I hardly ever use the forums that much. I rather have an email from the VA-List website so I can be quicker about it.

Script errors? Can you specify?

I thought I'd let you know, I just tried to load VA list in IE to see the script errors and it basically crashed my computers Internet connection - couldn't load a single site at all. Never had this happen before :S Having to use phone...

I thought I'd let you know, I just tried to load VA list in IE to see the script errors and it basically crashed my computers Internet connection - couldn't load a single site at all. Never had this happen before :S Having to use phone...

Well that must be your setup then. Although I never encourage the use of Internet Explorer for browsing, rather use Chrome or Firefox. In any case, IE 9 worked extremely fast for me, the VA_list showed up within a second or so. So I really have no idea what could be wrong at your end :S

And I never heard of a webpage 'crashing' an internet connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, here's yet another update.

I've launched a Magazine combined with our Virtual Airline List. I will try to catch the latest new regarding Virtual Airlines, try to get some Virtual Airline profiles on there for presentation and have some interviews with all sorts of people and companies. It is all about Virtual Airlines basically, there will be no review of planes but rather reviews about applications used by... you guessed it, Virtual Airlines. So yeah... I am not really a reporter, so I am looking for some volunteers as well to help out with finding and writing related content. So if you like writing about Flight Simming and Virtual Airlines, send me a PM and we can have a look. :)

The magazine has a link on the main screen of the Virtual Airline List, or more directly right here.

It will be a test the first months to see if it catches on.

I hope you will enjoy it...

Best regards,

Erik

New update!

In order to make the list faster I have changed the vote list into a 20 Virtual Airlines per page view with of course the needed navigational buttons and a quick search text field.

During this and the following week I will be making some small cosmetic changes to make it look a little bit more streamlined.

- Erik

I have some feedback regarding the navigation...

On the toplist the second link is "Alphabetical", then everywhere else it's "Top voted" - this is really annoying. Please make your navigation consistent. Put both links on all pages.

• Like 1

I have some feedback regarding the navigation...

On the toplist the second link is "Alphabetical", then everywhere else it's "Top voted" - this is really annoying. Please make your navigation consistent. Put both links on all pages.

It's programmed that way. The focus lies on the "Top voted" page, when on this page you can switch to an alphabetical list if one wants to. I don't see how this can annoy people really.

It's programmed that way. The focus lies on the "Top voted" page, when on this page you can switch to an alphabetical list if one wants to. I don't see how this can annoy people really.

Because you can only visit the alphabetical list by visiting the toplist first if you've gone to another page. That's 1 pageload too many.

Hello.

I have two questions rolleyes.gif

1. Is it possible to show your virtual's rank (from va-central) onto your website.

2.Is it possible to undo your vote? (I have voted for the wrong airline twice before laugh.gif)

Kindest Regards,

James

1. Hey, good idea. I will look into this. Btw, if anyone reads this and has some good ideas, feel free to PM me. We will take everything into consideration.

2. No. :P Check twice before clicking :mellow: You see, we take ip addresses basically, and if you have a dynamic ip there is no way to know which vote was yours ;)

Because you can only visit the alphabetical list by visiting the toplist first if you've gone to another page. That's 1 pageload too many.

Yeah... no. This is how it is for now. I need to redo the alphabetical list soon anyway so I might change it later on eventually. B)

1. Is it possible to show your virtual's rank (from va-central) onto your website.

Okay, depending on what VACentral has to say about this, it is possible to gather information from them. In fact I already have done so for the moment. If VACentral does not want this feature however, for whatever reason, I will remove it again. :angry: And ow, knowing I could do better than only the rank, I added awards too ;)

Here's an example of what it might look like (I might change the layout). Be aware though that the VACentral information you see for the Virtual Airline List there is of course not real and belongs to a different VA. I'm borrowing it temporarily to be able to show you this page.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

quick question there ussed to be vaflash whare we could post news and it hooked to the vacentral server is/will this be possible with your site

VAFlash.com is still up and accepting news. I noticed that the news is not showing up on VACentral and have sent a message to Nabeel. ;)

Best Regards,

Lindle Romero

Owner/Operator

http://www.vaflash.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/vaflashsite

va-flash.gif

In the case of the Virtual Airline List, I am still happy to exchange info with any Virtual Airline related webpage. We have already limited info from VACentral in to VA Profiles on our page, and we do offer RSS feeds from several sources outside of the Virtual Airline List. If any other website wants to "borrow" parts from our statistics, I would be happy to receive any messages from them. :)

Still, our news section is going very well. More and more Virtual Airlines are finding our little news submit area and we had news each day since the 1st of September :) I hope we can keep this up and be the number one information / resource webpage on the internet for Virtual Airlines :D

Oh believe me you already are! (In my opinion anyway!).

I think it would be quite cool to search for Virtual Airlines in Country Categories. So like the UK etc.

Although you probably already do :D

I still need to sign up with you but just doing a few website based stuff first. Thanks for your great service!

• 4 weeks later...

We are still here but had difficulties paying the bill for the webserver. At the moment our personal money is going into the project and we were hoping for more advertising and donations. Neither came, so we are trying to get it up and running again somewhere else, or at least pay the bill of our current host.