New VA Angel Air VA

Hi all fellow CEO's And pilots,

I have created a new VA called Angel Air VA it is a open VA No restrictions and NO "you must fly X amount of hours per month to stay active"

I just wanted it to be a friendly place to come and fly with an incentive to climb the ladder in the ranks if that is what the pilot wished to do.

Anyway I am not the greatest web builder in the world niether do i claim to be the most imaginative.

So any input from all you seasoned vetrans would be gratfully appreciated.

That being said here is the web address www.angelairva.co.uk

I look forward to your comments/suggestions or just to tell me to give up and not bother.

Scott

• Moderators

@ vansers

Roger is correct the site looks awfull toà manny things changed and to basic images.

on the part off insulting angelva askt an honnest awnsers and Roger just gave it.

its best to be direct than turn arround it and give hints like maby this or that.

@angel i suggest to start all over again and do it step by step first the banners then the collor and so on so you see how it all goes and in time you will get the hang off it and get better.

gr joeri

Thank you Joeri. I am not going to tell someone their site looks good when it doesn't ...Angel send me a PM and we can talk about how to improve. If i can improve the instructions for Obsess, no problem tell me how. Any other questions let me know. I am going to be hard on people because I want phpvms VA's to up their quality standards, if you have a problem with that Vansers tough tittys. :P

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have just looked, when i clicked on the link yesterday it took me to your site that was listed www.angelairva.co.uk, didnt see the /phpvms.

I would start again, don't try and squeeze your existing site / graphics in to the new site, take your time and make small changes like Roger said.

After each change check your work with FF/ Chrome and importantly IE 7 8 and 9, take your time to get it right, i still work on my site and update / tweak now even after a year of operations.

The skin you are using is a relatively easy skin to get to grips with, inspect the elements till you know them inside and out and you know what you can do with css changes.

Just take your time and go slow, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.

It looks like a lot of code from the original install is missing. I would do a fresh template install, and go from there.

Start from the top and work your way down, and as it was suggested before, check your work every step of the way, and if something seems out of whack, you'll know to do a quick CTRL+Z or delete a small snippet of newly-added code.

Take time to note the dimensions of images, too. If you're working in a program such as Photoshop, it won't be so hard to create a new image using layers over the old image, then save it, and re-upload it. At the very least, you can save the original images from the template onto your computer, and read the information in the Properties of the image to get the dimensions. If you don't have Photoshop or the like, search for a free alternative. There are a few great open source programs available for free.

Also, take away those ads. There isn't a reason to monetize your VA, as you probably won't actually receive any revenue from it. As a matter of fact, this will turn potential pilots away.

I don't think it was necessary for anyone to be brutally honest, however they are being honest. It obviously needs some work, you just need to be willing to spend the time to do it.

(To everyone else, please do not "vote this post down" I just tryin' to offer friendly advice in an area I feel comfortable doing so!)

Well thankyou all for your replies i will take any help offered and I will do as you all say I will start from scratch and ask for help along the way.

I dont mind anyone being brutully honest aslong as they are willing to offer advice to me as to how to correct the error of my ways.

But once again thank you all for your help and I will endeavour to create a VA site that meets the approval of you all.

You can all expect lots of forum posts from me.

Cheers Scott

Object not found

Check out this link. I think he reinstalled it into the main directory instead of /phpvms.

---

I would definitely consider replacing that advertisement with something more practical. Say, an airline logo, perhaps? Maybe get a banner the same width of the navigation menu and center it along the top to give it a clean look, if you think that might be something you like.

Bump your TeamSpeak information to the sidebar, maybe?

I like this method of sorting your pilot roster, personally.

And resize the map. You'll find this in your local.config.php.

# Google Map Options
Config::Set('MAP_WIDTH', '800px');
Config::Set('MAP_HEIGHT', '600px');

These are just basic ideas, all meant in good spirit. =)

/edit - Another thing about the map. I like that the map automatically zooms to fit your active flights into the viewing area, however I didn't like that, when there weren't active flights, it zoomed in on the New England states. Hehe. So, I altered the map info so it would sit overlooking the area our operations primarily exist in (which is worldwide). You can edit that information from your local.config.php as well, just take it slow and remember to undo it if it messes anything up.

# Valid types are G_NORMAL_MAP, G_SATELLITE_MAP, G_HYBRID_MAP, G_PHYSICAL_MAP
Config::Set('MAP_TYPE', 'G_PHYSICAL_MAP');
Config::Set('MAP_LINE_COLOR', '#ff0000');
Config::Set('MAP_CENTER_LAT', '22.883333');
Config::Set('MAP_CENTER_LNG', '-109.9');
Config::Set('MAP_ZOOM_LEVEL', 12);

Check out this link. I think he reinstalled it into the main directory instead of /phpvms.

---

I would definitely consider replacing that advertisement with something more practical. Say, an airline logo, perhaps? Maybe get a banner the same width of the navigation menu and center it along the top to give it a clean look, if you think that might be something you like.

Bump your TeamSpeak information to the sidebar, maybe?

I like this method of sorting your pilot roster, personally.

And resize the map. You'll find this in your local.config.php.

# Google Map Options
Config::Set('MAP_WIDTH', '800px');
Config::Set('MAP_HEIGHT', '600px');

These are just basic ideas, all meant in good spirit. =)

/edit - Another thing about the map. I like that the map automatically zooms to fit your active flights into the viewing area, however I didn't like that, when there weren't active flights, it zoomed in on the New England states. Hehe. So, I altered the map info so it would sit overlooking the area our operations primarily exist in (which is worldwide). You can edit that information from your local.config.php as well, just take it slow and remember to undo it if it messes anything up.

# Valid types are G_NORMAL_MAP, G_SATELLITE_MAP, G_HYBRID_MAP, G_PHYSICAL_MAP
Config::Set('MAP_TYPE', 'G_PHYSICAL_MAP');
Config::Set('MAP_LINE_COLOR', '#ff0000');
Config::Set('MAP_CENTER_LAT', '22.883333');
Config::Set('MAP_CENTER_LNG', '-109.9');
Config::Set('MAP_ZOOM_LEVEL', 12);

Thanks for the info I will put it into practice and keep playing about until I am happy with it.

and thanks for the encouragement mark.

Also edited the link in the first post to the home directory.

• Moderators

Hold on,

Are the bots signing up with that anti-spam?

How the heck it is possabile with that recaphta images in just some ramdon images?

Maybe I shouldn't roll out my new virtual airlines I been working on..........

This thing is making me sick with those god damn bot spammers now. I guess I'll put another anti spam question something like that.

Hold on,

Are the bots signing up with that anti-spam?

How the heck it is possabile with that recaphta images in just some ramdon images?

Maybe I shouldn't roll out my new virtual airlines I been working on..........

This thing is making me sick with those god damn bot spammers now. I guess I'll put another anti spam question something like that.

yep,

I expierenced that first three weeks ago that I have bot registrations (2 or 3per day) even with recapcha so recapcha alone is may be not safe any longer

let me know how you implement since I am not too much expierenced in implementing antispam measures I am curious if anybody could implement a query using "stop forum spam api"

• Moderators

I'll do that tonight, something like the VA Question and ramdon questions about the VA.

If they fail it will not let them pass. Till they get a right awnser.

I'll try to add that, there will be two files to be changed. Easy to add.

I'll do that tonight, something like the VA Question and ramdon questions about the VA.

If they fail it will not let them pass. Till they get a right awnser.

I'll try to add that, there will be two files to be changed. Easy to add.

That would be good try and stop spam bots from screwing up the figures on the VA.

Some instructions on how to impliment the code or whatever you come up with too would be good.

Because I am as dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to these sort of things.

Cheers

Scott

• Moderators

Interesting,

I had a thought, they were not bots, they can't even pass the image test, It was from a person uses different proxy IPs. People can create that.......

And lately, I seen reCAPTCHA changing the image slightly different,

But There is one way, is to IP Ban them, or you could use that list to ban them, http://www.stopforumspam.com/

But,

I found two new reCAPTCHA and It looks like the next generation of it. Here are the links,

http://server251.theory.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/sq-pix

http://server251.theory.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/esp-pix/esp-pix

All you got to do is IP Ban them, till you see no spam.

Also, I had four Spams that they f***ed up with my Pilot IDs which it was supposed to be for the staff, :angry: EVEN MY SITE ISN"T OPENED!

There are some emails same in that site forumspams that signed up to my VA. I'll start passwording my site.

So you might want to IP Ban them, till it stops.

I'll keep looking into ways to add something to phpVMS. To prevent it.