Thomas Cook Scandinavian / MyTravel Airways lawsuit

In Denmark, our Virtual Airlines has just received letters from Thomas Cook Scandinavian / MyTravel Airways, that we should discontinue our website. We in the association www.flight-simulator.dk has decided to confront the great and expects a lawsuit over the summer of 2011. We have contacted the Danish media to get attention. According to our attorney, we do not violate Danish law. Let me hear from you if you have similar stories or help.

What they want us to remove the fleet (add planes), screenshots, call sign "VKG" and not otherwise mention their name on the website.

• Administrators

Good Luck, I hope you have a pile of money and even more time. I have gone through this with WestJet LTD in the summer of 2010. After a few letters between their council and myself containing numerous demands, and consults with my own attorney, I took the site down. The only thing I have not done is relinquish the domain name to them as their claims of infringement are also based on the fact that their trade name is in the domain name (www.westjetvirtual.net) and I continue to host a blog on the site about the situation, which reminds me that I need to update it. This all transpired after numerous formal requests for the use of the likeness of their logo in January of 2010, and also other sites operating in a similar fashion, all of which except one have since been closed down and have disappeared completely.

I have since moved all the pilots and operations to a new domain that mimics another large Canadian carrier but have wisely not used their logos or full trade name in the domain name, signatures, emails, or the frontpage of the site. even so, If the carrier got upset about something they could probably still push to have the site shut down.

The claim, as stupid as it is, by the airlines is that your site becomes ranked in the search engines and their real world customers start landing on your site looking to purchase air travel, get frustrated, and go to their competition. Although I personally never had anyone signup for the WJA VA and think they were buying a ticket for air travel, as far as how many landed their thinking they were at the real world westjet, who knows. I know when the site was up it was never any closer than about 8 pages deep on Google. Being a businessman myself I understand the concerns but I believe that I would rather work towards a understanding with the virtual airline and help promote my real world business, it could even be promoted as supporting a community project, some of the best publicity available to any business.

It may be an interesting read for you to look over the blog at http://www.westjetvirtual.net - home of the NOcarentee - :P

• Like 2

• Moderators

In my response,

It's starting to get little sicking to me that becasue what I see with it is that Airlines are just really too eyeing to everything.

Virtual Airlines doesn't have to do anything with Selling Tickets? How can an Airline know that the virtual airlines, oh maybe say so, they might don't know the "Virtual" word! :lol:

But the only thing that rises to the Airlines that there are Virtual Airlines right now may be using the Airline's Official Logo without permission.

The more pissing thing to me, in the past week, I called two airlines and they asked me to call them back for more info, and then I did and they said I wasn't allowed to speak to the airlines. THAT WAS A ******* WASH OFF TO ME! :angry:

(Sorry for the language, but that's what I said)

To simpilot's response,

As well, I'm always following your blog....

What I think that Westjet doesn't really care because they are too tacky for people using their logos. What I think that Westjet might been an a**hole and I really like the NOcarentee idea you made because what it makes me think of the word, is that Westjet took something very awesome away from the virtual airlines community. I know you been in the crappy situation and Westjet took something away from you, but as that you went on another virtual airlines which you continued to pursue the virtual airlines, and I seen your new virtual airlines and it's looking good. Becasue you didn't close out everything, you just kept everything and move on and change and it gets more better so you don't have to worry.

To henrikkir's response,

So the airlines reached you to erase everything? I'm confused, did you ask their permission? Or you did?

In my response,

It's starting to get little sicking to me that becasue what I see with it is that Airlines are just really too eyeing to everything.

Virtual Airlines doesn't have to do anything with Selling Tickets? How can an Airline know that the virtual airlines, oh maybe say so, they might don't know the "Virtual" word! :lol:

But the only thing that rises to the Airlines that there are Virtual Airlines right now may be using the Airline's Official Logo without permission.

The more pissing thing to me, in the past week, I called two airlines and they asked me to call them back for more info, and then I did and they said I wasn't allowed to speak to the airlines. THAT WAS A ******* WASH OFF TO ME! :angry:

(Sorry for the language, but that's what I said)

To simpilot's response,

As well, I'm always following your blog....

What I think that Westjet doesn't really care because they are too tacky for people using their logos. What I think that Westjet might been an a**hole and I really like the NOcarentee idea you made because what it makes me think of the word, is that Westjet took something very awesome away from the virtual airlines community. I know you been in the crappy situation and Westjet took something away from you, but as that you went on another virtual airlines which you continued to pursue the virtual airlines, and I seen your new virtual airlines and it's looking good. Becasue you didn't close out everything, you just kept everything and move on and change and it gets more better so you don't have to worry.

To henrikkir's response,

So the airlines reached you to erase everything? I'm confused, did you ask their permission? Or you did?

For Vansers.

We have not asked Thomas Cook on anything because we do not use their logos or names on the website.

They demand that we delete the images below screenshot, and not otherwise use the call sign "VKG" on VATSIM.

They believe that they are losing customers through google.

I've got statesitk from google that shows that we have had no visits by the name "Thomas Cook" but has had 20 visits via the name "MyTravel Virtual".

I do not know how many customers we should have taken over google statistic, but it can not be so many. I know I have not sold any flight tickets. <_<