Guide to Recruiting Pilots

OK, I decided to create this because every VA forum I know is FULL of new VA owners constantly asking how to recruit pilots. I hope this guide helps, and also reduces, if not stops the number of people asking how to get pilots.

1. Have a Decent Name and Logo

You should have taken a lot of thought on your airline's name. I know a lot that have really stupid names that I will not mention. Make sure you have a professional logo and it matches your airline's style. Don't have a low-quality image of a plane and then the name of your airline in a boring font. Consider getting someone to design one for you, however this may come with a small fee.

2. Make Press Releases

Not too many though, people will get tired. Use big forums like Flightsim.com, Avsim.com, FlightSimWorld.com, and these forums. Remember to make it look attractive.

3. Be Realistic

Too many VAs are unrealistic. Pilots don't want an unrealistic airline (some do, but they clearly don't take it seriously). I, personally, hate them. You can't start up in a week and suddenly announce that you have 50 brand new A380s in the fleet and 50 787s. Even having a 747 in the fleet early can be bad too. Your routes also need to be realistic. Start simple. If you're based at London Gatwick Airport with a fleet of 2 737-400s, you're doing great fleet-wise, nice n' real, but it could be another type too. Consider flying two or three routes for now, maybe one to Paris, one to Madrid and one to Munich. There. Done. But it's not that simple. Not all VAs can be the same, that's what makes pilots bored. Try something different. Oh, and even after some time, don't bother thinking about flying every aircraft you can think of, but when you've been operating for years, it can be acceptable if you have a bit more than others, like major airlines.

5. Be Professional

Place your airline's logo at the top of every Press Release and website (and if you've read Step 1 it will be a decent one). Use correct punctuation and spelling in PRs and on your website. Pilots don't want a career with someone who can hardly spell or even use capital letters. Your logo should display professionalism, along with your website. If a logo looks professional, you can almost tell that the airline will have an overall reputation for being professional.

6. Be Unique

You can't have the same airline every time with a different name. Try different routes with different planes, etc. Try introducing different features that no one else can offer.

7. Have a Decent Website

Your website should be clean, fresh and easy to use. Oh, and also have a forum for pilots to chat ;)

8. Show Dedication

Last of all, show your pilots that you are dedicated, and won't check the website once a week. No matter how bad you're doing, check things regularly. I personally check my things around 2-3 times daily just to make sure. Also check your emails to see if anyone has a question about your VA etc.

Once again, DON'T NAG! When I say post on forums, I don't mean complain to the community that you're VA is unpopular expecting that people will be sympathetic and join to make you feel better. Ain't gonna happen. And remember, more active pilots is more important than the number of pilots.

Hope this helps B)

Thanks for the guide it is very helpful I have already done everything that is on your how to guide but with no luck.

Not that it has detered me in any way I will continue on, and to be honest I do not expect 200 pilots to sign up I would just like enough to make it a bit more interesting for the other pilots in my VA.

I will continue to be positve about the situation.

Thanks Scott

• Like 1

Thanks for the guide it is very helpful I have already done everything that is on your how to guide but with no luck.

Not that it has detered me in any way I will continue on, and to be honest I do not expect 200 pilots to sign up I would just like enough to make it a bit more interesting for the other pilots in my VA.

I will continue to be positve about the situation.

Thanks Scott

Make sure you let the world know you are there. Like mentioned, have press releases, and post them anywhere you think potential pilots might hang out. Events, open positions in staff, new assets to the fleet, livery changes, etc etc. It shows dedication and will have a positive way on how other people will regard your Virtual Airline. I do have to disagree on the "not too many" in the guide. If you are able to have 1 or 2 press releases a month then you are well on your way and place them strategically, not all in one place, try to use a different website for every new article. ;)