Something Has To Be Done

There has to be something done about these skin thieves. This is the second time someone has stolen my skin. I am not going to point you out, you know who you are. What can be done. Maybe give no support to these thieves. I know its only a game. Generally I would share if someone asked me. I have paid for some of the features on my skin, that like pouring salt in the wound.

• Like 4

This time its more of source stealing. What was taking was the two scripts which I have paid for. The header menu and the footer menu. I wasn't going to say anything more, every time I look at his page it just ticks me off and I find more evidence of my source. Looking at his source you can see my code in there with the exception of the url change. (http://aalvirtual.org/). Its so obvious, I have emailed him, he claims he did not steal anything. That is another reason why I am calling him out. I have changed some of the look from the default download and his version is 100% like mine. I don't care that he has the 2 scripts. What bugs me is that he stole my source code, changed the urls to match his. Found the script url in the css and claimed he bought it. You all know him by the name twelka3

• Like 3

• Moderators

Eddie its verry easy on these forums lately you just copy from others and then claim you did not do it.

then his posts get closed and the PM starts

i toled him to stop beeing a baby the responce was he wanted some more maturaty on the forum.

for me its done why even bother to come to here iff the only thinf we mod need to do here is close post either with saying stopp basshing at anohter or just close it because its getting ou t off hand.

ist just not fun annymore to come to these forums and modorate there are a couple off people just making phpvms to history.

all went ok the last 1.5 years until a few months agao when some kids found their way to this software(because its free) and things went downhill in no time iff we close a post because the person isn't in line with the rules its not ok iff we close a post for bashing its not ok

the only thing all these children want is to be handeld as grownups but when we do it they start crying like baby's

Well, what I thought (or maybe someone else said and I just adapted) was having an external, independent skin host (or just somewhere on phpVMS/VACentral) and API keys for users, then all skins are delivered from that site. That way, free skins can be uploaded (and properly managed to remove ones which don't work or are no longer supported) and licensed to everyone, and skins can be uploaded by the designers/whoever to be licensed for a single user. If someone tries to use a skin they're not licensed to, they'll just get a lovely big warning all over their airline.

Not really put a lot of thought into how it'd work though.

I totally agree with you Joeri. I, personally don't mind if there is something on my site that people want. If they would just come up to me and ask for it, I'm sure there is something that could be done to give them something identical or similar. When I started One World Virtual 2 years ago, I didn't know squat about php, css, and HTML. As time progressed, I started to understand the way these functions work. There is still a lot more I can learn, but I know the basics. I learned my lesson earlier this year about copying other people's work (Phoenix VA). I accepted my wrong doing publicly in these forums (and PVA staff), and learned to do things myself. I am not a big fan of these web browsers allowing people to be able to see peoples' secure files. Isn't that the reason we have the .htaccess file in the first place? There has to be a way around being able to rip off people's designs, and mreo yet, scripts that are paid for by the original user.

That's my two cents worth - back to designing.

Jeff

VirtualFlightZone.net

I remember reading that it was possible to "hide" your source code to everyone using JavaScript. I think it jumbled the code into one big JavaScript script for browsers to read. I can't remember where I read it but I don't know if its even worth looking for it as it could cause errors when getting it involved with phpvms..

• Moderators

Well, what I thought (or maybe someone else said and I just adapted) was having an external, independent skin host (or just somewhere on phpVMS/VACentral) and API keys for users, then all skins are delivered from that site. That way, free skins can be uploaded (and properly managed to remove ones which don't work or are no longer supported) and licensed to everyone, and skins can be uploaded by the designers/whoever to be licensed for a single user. If someone tries to use a skin they're not licensed to, they'll just get a lovely big warning all over their airline.

Not really put a lot of thought into how it'd work though.

Tom something like this would indeed be great or maby even something that checks iff the file is on the correct server lets say like iff url is 123test.com show skin if url is different show i am stealng this website from somebody else

I am not a big fan of these web browsers allowing people to be able to see peoples' secure files. Isn't that the reason we have the .htaccess file in the first place? There has to be a way around being able to rip off people's designs,

That's sort of how the internet works... EVERYTHING you see in your browser has been downloaded to your computer somewhere. If the browsers did just rip out all of their features, people would just learn to search their cached files.

Same with the javascript method mentioned above; it's a two way thing, it's encoded in a way that can still be decoded, just not as easily as reading the html.

I was mainly talking about Chrome's "Inspect Element" function when you right-click. I haven't seen that before with Firefox or IE.

Firefox has firebug, and I believe both Firefox and IE have developer tools. In addition, all browsers have a view source feature.

Seriously! let's think for a minute on how we are all pointing the finger to some one coping another VA's work. I have a friend who works for the FAA that can shut every VA down. So why are we risking all of are work over silly stuff. We are all in violation of some kind of copywright law. Using a logo from the real airline automatically violates this, using live schedules from the airlines itself these are violations that can flag Department of homeland security.

Seriously! let's think for a minute on how we are all pointing the finger to some one coping another VA's work. I have a friend who works for the FAA that can shut every VA down. So why are we risking all of are work over silly stuff. We are all in violation of some kind of copywright law. Using a logo from the real airline automatically violates this, using live schedules from the airlines itself these are violations that can flag Department of homeland security.

That Might be true. That is why we have to get permission from the real world Virtual Airline first :) Also i believe copying off someones site is extremely unacceptable, unless they give you permission. If you can't make a site.. Pay someone to do it. Were all here to do the same thing. Taking it just violates the respect we have for one another. People put there time and effort in to this, it is not an easy task.

Thanks,

Edmund

True. I agree this is a hobby and we need to create our own stuff. We need to have fun with this. But I believe that no real airline will give permission to use their logo's and emulate live schedules and routes. Especially after 9/11, TSA and the FAA see's this as a potentinial threat. a lot of people have put a lot of heart and time to make this entire operation work from VATSIM down. We just need to be carefull.

True. I agree this is a hobby. We need to have fun with this. But no real airline will give permission to use their logo's and emulate live schedules and routes. Especially after 9/11, TSA and the FAA see's this as a potentinial threat. As I know since I work for the airline's.

Glad to see you get my point :) This is all about fun. Lets stop steeling and start creating! :) If you negotiate enough you might be able to! I have been in negotiation for more than 2 months just to get permission to use a logo.

• Moderators

now you are only talking about airlines in the US

the Department of homeland security can come to my house and ask and beg as mush as they want i live in europe and so i am a free living soul to do as i want with the permissions that i have been granted by the va that i represent laugh.gif

I am all 100% fictional, from the planes to the schedule. I have nothing to worry about. I learned my lesson with NWA...lol

• Moderators

Hello everyone,

I would like to inform you that i am 16 years old. So you must not say that these people are kids...There are also kids who have done something and trying to help the virtual community (maybe more than you or more than everyone)! I am saying that i have done something big but i am trying. These people are not kids. These people are persons who do not respect themselvs, fistly, and after that ourserlves.

Another one person(he is maybe 15 years old, named Orpheas Panayiotopoulos as you can see, has copied some material from my website. His site is http://www.aegeanvirtual.org/index.php .

Are you Nabble, or anyone from you who administrate phpvms, able to make it payware with a low prize? (Maybe 5$) If you do not want money you can send them to unicef directly ;). In this way i think that we will deal with it. These people would not pay anytime for something so they will left phpvms...

Another one idea is to create an area on your forum (like the downloads,documentation etc) where we will having the chance to add the sites which copy our websites with evidence. I think that you will have to sign on a validator in order to check the applications and validating them. After that we will having the chance to check it and not to give support to them on anything.

I am all ears to listen your views about this! (Sorry for my english but i am trying to make them better :rolleyes: .)

Kind Regards,

Servetas George

What about Fictional Virtual's?

This time its more of source stealing. What was taking was the two scripts which I have paid for. The header menu and the footer menu. I wasn't going to say anything more, every time I look at his page it just ticks me off and I find more evidence of my source. Looking at his source you can see my code in there with the exception of the url change. (http://aalvirtual.org/). Its so obvious, I have emailed him, he claims he did not steal anything. That is another reason why I am calling him out. I have changed some of the look from the default download and his version is 100% like mine. I don't care that he has the 2 scripts. What bugs me is that he stole my source code, changed the urls to match his. Found the script url in the css and claimed he bought it. You all know him by the name twelka3

Every time I complain about this person, my post gets locked. The only way to be rid of people like this is to contact their service provider and file a copyright infringement complaint..

Why cant we deal with this priovately? Why is it every week now, a post like this pops up. I am sick of it. And tbh all code for web sites have been made before, so we are all technically copying other sites. It does not matter if it is paid for or not. It is a pain when someone does it but heck there is nothing much you can do to stop it. It is like trying to get rid of terrorism, that will never happen, someone somewhere will always not like the way someone does something and will want to terrorise them. I don't in anyway condone what has happened, but there isn't much that can be done, apart from trying to get the site taken down. And trying to sue is pointless. Also if the code is available to buy online then you don't know if he copied directly off your site, or bought it himself. Please stop making these kinds of threads every week.

• Administrators

Why cant we deal with this priovately? Why is it every week now, a post like this pops up. I am sick of it. And tbh all code for web sites have been made before, so we are all technically copying other sites. It does not matter if it is paid for or not. It is a pain when someone does it but heck there is nothing much you can do to stop it. It is like trying to get rid of terrorism, that will never happen, someone somewhere will always not like the way someone does something and will want to terrorise them. I don't in anyway condone what has happened, but there isn't much that can be done, apart from trying to get the site taken down. And trying to sue is pointless. Also if the code is available to buy online then you don't know if he copied directly off your site, or bought it himself. Please stop making these kinds of threads every week.

I normally stay quiet on these threads as I agree they are something that should be handled privately, and generally it is an offence by a site that does not last long at all.

My problem is when you start comparing this to terrorism, having lost a family member in Iraq and seeing how many family's have been destroyed not only on September 11th here in the US but in the 10 years since I find comparing a child taking some website scripting to an act of terrorism nearly physically sickening and I imagine anyone else across the globe that has been on this side of a terroritic act feels the same.

If you feel strongly that you have had content copied here is a quick quide on what to do;

from http://www.businessknowhow.com/internet/copy.htm

1 - Gather Information and Proof

• Find a contact email address for the offending Web site. If you can’t find an email address on the site, do a WHOIS search for the registrant, this will be the owner of the Web site and should also list their contact information. Also make a note of who is hosting the Web site.

• Use the Way Back Machine to find past views of your site — this helps prove that your site, with the original content, has been online longer.

• Provide a link to the Google Cache showing that the Google Spiders discovered your content earlier than the offending Web site.

• Take screenshots of the copied material on the offending Web site. In the case of a whole site being, copied save the source code as well so that it can be compared with yours.

• Gather as much date evidence as possible — this might include screenshots or copies of:

o The dates comments were made on your blog in response to the original post

o Your MySQL database records

• The original (preferably unedited) images or graphics with the file date

• Past backups of your Web site with dates modified

2 - Contact the Offending Web Site

• To begin with, send a polite email informing the owner of the theft and request that the stolen content or images be removed within a certain time frame.

• If you don’t hear back or they aren’t compliant send a Cease and Desist order (Many outlines can be found online for you to use).

3 - Take it to the Top

Contact the offending Web site’s host to make a complaint, sending the Cease and Desist order along with the evidence. Most hosting companies are very strict on these matters and will usually suspend the site temporarily until matters are cleared up.

File a DMCA complaint with Google and the other search engines telling them to remove the site from their search indexes as the site involved violates copyright laws.

Just remember, if you are using images from another site or real world company you can be just as guilty as the one you are singling out and open yourself to the same sanctions.

I am locking this topic and hope that these issues are followed up on in private from now on.

• Like 2