Thoughts about our site

Joshua John

Hey guys,

We are just about to re-launch our second va Virgin Australia Virtual in a week and just want to know what you guys think of the site, any suggestions on improvements, what should be added / removed.

http://www.virginaustraliava.com/index.php (dont go to virginaustraliava.com because you will be redirected to our holding page)

Also comments on our promo.

Would really like to hear your comments, want to make sure the re-launch is successful and that everyone likes the site. Also if you wouldn't mind saying what browser your using and if everything displays ok just want to confirm site works in all major browsers.

Thanks guys

Site appears to render correctly in Chrome dev build.

My thoughts:

Do you use a different font to the real Virgin Australia on purpose? Just wondering.

You should use text with a different font for the headings (e.g. Latest Pireps) instead of images.

On a related matter, that really doesn't warrant using a table. You should just style the elements you need instead.

Personally think the rounded corners look completely out of place (and also far too round).

As for the video, it's very well composed but the editing lets it down in my opinion.

The blurring in the corners on every single shot is annoying, not sure what effect you were trying to go for there... also the video within a video part hides a lot of what's going on in the main shot.

Hi Josh,

1. the header is a different colour to the page background.
  2. how about re-adding the shaddow to the site outline? It made the site really stand out.
  3. might just be my opinion, but add some left padding on the homepage boxes
  4. support centre links to an open directory
  5. replace the forum title with the logo
  6. welcome message needs changing regarding custom system
  7. is there a need for the email confirmation script message?
  8. some of the content still relates to virgin atlantic va
  9. your partners with your own virtual airline and the image seems squashed

Hope that isn't too critical

Jon

• Like 1

Site appears to render correctly in Chrome dev build.

My thoughts:

Do you use a different font to the real Virgin Australia on purpose? Just wondering.

You should use text with a different font for the headings (e.g. Latest Pireps) instead of images.

On a related matter, that really doesn't warrant using a table. You should just style the elements you need instead.

Personally think the rounded corners look completely out of place (and also far too round).

As for the video, it's very well composed but the editing lets it down in my opinion.

The blurring in the corners on every single shot is annoying, not sure what effect you were trying to go for there... also the video within a video part hides a lot of what's going on in the main shot.

Yes we do use a different font to Virgin Australia reason being they wouldn't let us use theirs so they sent us a font we can use which is the closest to the real thing. As for the headings thought it looked good with images but actually looking at it, does look a bit stupid so will definitely be changing it to text! To be honest totally forgot I had put it in a separate table, it was because originally I was designing a custom system and I had to use a table to get it in place because for some reason without the table it would end up in the footer. (Probably because of my amazing coding skills) ;)

Agree with the video, the blur is a bit annoying (I didn't make the video) but it was free so I'm not complaining :P

Thanks for the comments! :D

Hi Josh,

1. the header is a different colour to the page background.
  2. how about re-adding the shaddow to the site outline? It made the site really stand out.
  3. might just be my opinion, but add some left padding on the homepage boxes
  4. support centre links to an open directory
  5. replace the forum title with the logo
  6. welcome message needs changing regarding custom system
  7. is there a need for the email confirmation script message?
  8. some of the content still relates to virgin atlantic va
  9. your partners with your own virtual airline and the image seems squashed

Hope that isn't too critical

Jon

Not at all too critical! :D

Sorted the header. Also added back the shadow but the nav bar is too wide and I can't for the life of me remember how to get the nav bar to fit. Any ideas? Nav bar sorted :P

When you say about adding padding to the homepage boxes you mean the sidebar (latest news, stats etc)? Yeah need to change all the pages, they all still have virgin atlantic va content. Only managed to get things working last night so only had time to do the crew centre. :P

Thanks for the suggestions :)