How is that even possible?! (PIREP Database Large)

Kyle

• Moderators

I usually do website checks few times a week, and now I noticed our PIREP tables has gotten really ridiculously large. 5.5MB with only 52 PIREPs filed! Now the thing that worries me, as the PIREP database gets larger, will it affect the loading of PIREP lists, slower queries and other things?

How do you handle with large amount of PIREP Data? And by the way, we are on shared hosting, if that will affects our VA as well.

I usually do website checks few times a week, and now I noticed our PIREP tables has gotten really ridiculously large. 5.5MB with only 52 PIREPs filed! Now the thing that worries me, as the PIREP database gets larger, will it affect the loading of PIREP lists, slower queries and other things?

How do you handle with large amount of PIREP Data? And by the way, we are on shared hosting, if that will affects our VA as well.

5.5MB for ONLY the 52 records in the pirep table? That's definitely not right.

• Administrators

Would a large amount of position reporting count?

One pilot flew a very long flight, and it had over 1200 position reports.

That would also account for the sizes. If you load the main page for a database in phpMyAdmin, it will tell you the size for each table. You need to see that there's no "overhead" on those tables, if there is, then you hit the "optimize tables" option and it will shrink the size.

You also have to account for the size of indexes, which make the database size larger, but lookups are quick because things get indexed.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That would also account for the sizes. If you load the main page for a database in phpMyAdmin, it will tell you the size for each table. You need to see that there's no "overhead" on those tables, if there is, then you hit the "optimize tables" option and it will shrink the size.

You also have to account for the size of indexes, which make the database size larger, but lookups are quick because things get indexed.

If I delete all the old pireps, would it affect any of the pilot's data?

• Moderators

Thanks guys for your suggestions :D, I'll look into it.

If I delete all the old pireps, would it affect any of the pilot's data?

parkho, if you delete the old pireps, it can affect the pilot's data because phpVMS has an recalculation in PIREP count and hours.

If you go in phpMyAdmin and start deleting Pireps, it will affect every pilot that pirep is associated to. This also goes for aircraft and airports. It is best to leave all information concerning flight operations alone as it will definitely make your system all screwy.

• Moderators

If you go in phpMyAdmin and start deleting Pireps, it will affect every pilot that pirep is associated to. This also goes for aircraft and airports. It is best to leave all information concerning flight operations alone as it will definitely make your system all screwy.

OOps! I better be careful then. Thanks